Second Job for Mcleish - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Second Job for Mcleish

jamboman

Difficult one with Robertson and Tierney. Seems unfair on KT that his reward for being arguably our best player is being moved out of position as he was v Netherlands but he played well there. Meanwhile Robertson is playing at highest level of all our players (well, him and Scott McTominay now). Cannot see KT and AR playing on left together so suspect KT will move either inside in back 3 or RB . Behind Calum Paterson? Nice problem to have I suppose. No idea about keeper but do fancy Archer much on bits and pieces I have seen on TV. It will be Craig Gordon when fit. Is McLaughlin at Hearts decent?

13 minutes ago, jamboman said:

Seeing the success of the his first job (mind you he has not actually capped McTominey), thought i would start a thread for his second job.

New Captain?

Fitting Robertson and Tierney into the same team?

New Keeper?

Thought we had the keeper problem solved with Archer but the more I look the less he seems to do, in Saturdays 1-1 he made no saves, game before that 2 saves and before that no saves again. (sky stats)

Looking at Millwalls league position and their goals conceded they appear to have one of the best defences in the championship, not so sure how much that is down to Archer. Must be rated though as he is never dropped and get's back in no matter what his replacement does if suspended or injured.

Am I alone in not rating Gordon?

Robertson starts before Tierney if they are fighting for lb

captain god knows, Robertson could maybe be a shout, dont know how vocal he can be in a role like that though

keeper we look fucked too

Given that McLeish has already said he will call up Soutar, then it makes sense to pair him with Berra alongside and Tierney left CB.

Keeper we are not 'fucked': McLaughlin in the short term, as he is part of a good Hearts defence; Archer long term, Robbie McCrorie even longer term. McGregor can still do it and he is keeping Marshall out.

Captain? Why Berra of course. Base our defence on a good club defence to begin with. No, I am not a Hearts fan.

1 hour ago, jamboman said:

Seeing the success of the his first job (mind you he has not actually capped McTominey), thought i would start a thread for his second job.

New Captain?

Fitting Robertson and Tierney into the same team?

New Keeper?

The captain one is difficult - I don't see a standout candidate and I'm glad that's McLeish's task and not mine.

Tierney is definitely blunted at RB but I think he's more adaptable and therefore more comfortable at RB so I can see Eck going with what Strachan started.

McLaughlin of Hearts appears to be a good candidate.  Had a brilliant game at Ibrox recently and i'm not seeing much hugely better right now,

I hope Jordan Archer has kicked on since I used to see him playing non-league.  He was on loan from Spurs and outstanding at that level. Superb shot stopper and I'm not surprised that he's having a decent professional career, was highly spoken of and not a big time Charlie.  My reservations, and this is a few years ago, were about his distribution and overall command of the area.  He's capable of making mistakes, absolute howler against England u21 a few years back but as a keeper that just goes with the territory the key is to keep mistakes to the minimum.

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I hope Jordan Archer has kicked on since I used to see him playing non-league.  He was on loan from Spurs and outstanding at that level. Superb shot stopper and I'm not surprised that he's having a decent professional career, was highly spoken of and not a big time Charlie.  My reservations, and this is a few years ago, were about his distribution and overall command of the area.  He's capable of making mistakes, absolute howler against England u21 a few years back but as a keeper that just goes with the territory the key is to keep mistakes to the minimum.

Havent seen him play much but he's only 24 so he could potentially be a epl keeper in the future or at the very least a really good English championship keeper. But as I said I ain't seen him play so hard to judge if he's really good or just average at championship level. I think we should have Marshall McGregor and archer as our goalkeepers in our next squad.

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Sorting out the centre of defence has to be his top priority. It is our weakest area.

IMO the 3-5-2 helped settled things down at the back at least at home.

Clean sheets kept v Malta (not difficult admitedly), Slovakia and Slovenia and only one let in v England before the mad finale.

Away from home it's more of an issue but that's down to Scotland being useless at keeping the ball and defending too deep as a default setting e.g. Slovenia away.

Berra and Mulgrew didn't do too badly as a combination and Tierney in there helps things as he's class but it's not a long term fix as the first two are in their 30s.

McLeish can't just conjour world class CBs out of the air, he has to go with the options available so you're talking about SPL and championship players like Liam Lindsey.

I like the thought of Tierney at CB and Prefer Robbo at LB instead of LW which is an idea that's been banded around. The drawback meaning you don't get the best out of Tierney for his attacking qualities certainly at CB but as mentioned we do badly need to sort out the defence.

New Captain. Unlikely that he wouldn't go with Gordon or Fletcher if they are still starting/in the squad but certainly wouldn't begrudge Tierney it.

On the keeper debate In my opinion we look weaker than we have in years at that position. Not seen much of Archer but did take in a Millwall game a few months ago and he let in one absolute howler shot straight at him and his kicking I thought was poor.

On Formation McLeish would generally go with 4-2-3-1 from memory. Sets a basis for 2 defensive midfielders to cover the full backs going forward and if we can use that to get enough width from the full backs then it affords us to go with 3 more centrally focussed attacking midfielders to support a lone front man.

On the striker debate I'd go with Griffiths up top with Cummings coming in from the right but most people I've spoken to have said the opposite

7 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I like the thought of Tierney at CB and Prefer Robbo at LB instead of LW which is an idea that's been banded around. The drawback meaning you don't get the best out of Tierney for his attacking qualities certainly at CB but as mentioned we do badly need to sort out the defence.

New Captain. Unlikely that he wouldn't go with Gordon or Fletcher if they are still starting/in the squad but certainly wouldn't begrudge Tierney it.

On the keeper debate In my opinion we look weaker than we have in years at that position. Not seen much of Archer but did take in a Millwall game a few months ago and he let in one absolute howler shot straight at him and his kicking I thought was poor.

On Formation McLeish would generally go with 4-2-3-1 from memory. Sets a basis for 2 defensive midfielders to cover the full backs going forward and if we can use that to get enough width from the full backs then it affords us to go with 3 more centrally focussed attacking midfielders to support a lone front man.

On the striker debate I'd go with Griffiths up top with Cummings coming in from the right but most people I've spoken to have said the opposite

While most likely I’d go with Tierney on the left of a back three, I think he could also be great in midfield. It would give us his goal threat and also provide extra insurance for Paterson and Robertson getting forward, especially if still 3-5-2. 

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

While most likely I’d go with Tierney on the left of a back three, I think he could also be great in midfield. It would give us his goal threat and also provide extra insurance for Paterson and Robertson getting forward, especially if still 3-5-2. 

Yeah I do like the amount of players we have that are versatile in the number of positions they could play. When I think about it I'm not sure why we should have doom and gloom about our prospects over the next few years. But I'm sure that will all change after our next poor result!