Scottish cup weekend - Page 8 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish cup weekend

34 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

absolute nonsense, don't lower yourself to that level RB.

The term hun is not sectarian, its been used to describe rangers fans since I've been going to the football, in the same way Tims and sheep shaggers is used to describe celtic and aberdeen fans. Nothing bigoted about it. 

The Non TA section has finally sank to the levels of the Scotland Mad board

I clearly said in my previous post that Hun isn't Sectarian. On a personal level I couldn't care less what folk call me but I also understand others are not so thick skinned. 

Ormond should recognise that too. 

I tend not to use the term Tim unless I know the recipient will take it in jest. Same with Sheep shagger or in Ormonds case sweetie paper rustling, tractor driving turnip farmer. 

I haven't seen TGP fire out any insults but he's certainly received quite a few. 

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

he said so because he is back tracking, thats plainly obvious

It's not obvious. I understood the point he was making. 

Perhaps the viewpoint of the reader is the problem? 

9 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I clearly said in my previous post that Hun isn't Sectarian. On a personal level I couldn't care less what folk call me but I also understand others are not so thick skinned. 

Ormond should recognise that too. 

I tend not to use the term Tim unless I know the recipient will take it in jest. Same with Sheep shagger or in Ormonds case sweetie paper rustling, tractor driving turnip farmer. 

I haven't seen TGP fire out any insults but he's certainly received quite a few. 

your trying your best to remain neutral in this but deep down you know TGP is wrong and he did try to put he term hun on a par with term term taig. He is not in the least bit offended by the term hun, in fact I would be willing to bet he calls himself a hun on occasion, he would never admit to this on here because he's set his stall out now.

The mind of a hun is a truly remarkable thing.

14 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

It's not obvious. I understood the point he was making. 

Perhaps the viewpoint of the reader is the problem? 

Its obvious to everyone accept yourself and a couple of mutants

20 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

your trying your best to remain neutral in this but deep down you know TGP is wrong and he did try to put he term hun on a par with term term taig. He is not in the least bit offended by the term hun, in fact I would be willing to bet he calls himself a hun on occasion, he would never admit to this on here because he's set his stall out now.

The mind of a hun is a truly remarkable thing.

You're wrong. I used two examples of language I don't personally use but which I believe are equally as likely to cause offence to the recipient. Whether you think they are on par or not is for you to decide and one I don't care about in all honesty.

I call myself a Rangers supporter and a Scotland supporter. Never something self-depreciating and which I know offends a sizeable number of my fellow supporters.

Again, this seems to be a post about me which is making assumptions based on a pre-conceived generalised view of an entire club's support.

Remarkable indeed.

20 hours ago, TGP said:

You can't walk about punching people regardless of which team you are playing.  Be it Huns/Taigs or whichever SS you see fit to use.

Let's just remind ourselves of the post which started this discussion... Lest some folk try and rewrite history. 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

Let's just remind ourselves of the post which started this discussion... Lest some folk try and rewrite history. 

beat me to it

some major back tracking going on

3 hours ago, TGP said:

I wasn't trying to "paint" anything as equivalents. Offence is subjective and you dont need to run to a dictionary or the laws of the land before deciding if you're allowed to be upset or feel marginalised.

For whatever reason you've missed my original point which is that certain types of language is intended to cause offence.

You absolutely made a false equivalence, this isn't up for debate "huns/taigs" is the quote.

As for judgement of that, well i'll leave that to others, but the form your argument took is not in question.

5 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

From the dictionary of the Scots Language as published by the University of Dundee http://www.dsl.ac.uk/

HUN, n. 1. Abusive name for a person who supports, or a footballer who plays for, Rangers Football Club. Also in pl. Rangers football team.

2. Abusive term for a Protestant. Also attrib.

Attributred to Michael Munroe's book "the patter."

41oYzoaBgYL._SY373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

That's the source for that meaning in the dictionary.

It's pity the softer sciences aren't as rigorous with their academic integrity.

Edited by phart

I would respectfully disagree with Mr. Munro. I grew up in Ayrshire as a Catholic in a very "Protestant' town with a bit of Glasgow Overspill which had an element of Irish descent Celtic support within it. It could be a fairly toxic mix at times. I was getting it tight from both sides :lol:. The Celtic lot regarded me with suspicion as a Catholic who didn't support Celtic, in favour of Killie, and the Rangers lot still regarded me as a Catholic hence 'Fenian', 'Taig' etc.The clear difference was that these terms were applied if you were a Catholic, regardless of where your football team affiliation lay, whereas 'Hun' was a term that was entirely exclusively used with reference to the supporters of Rangers Football Club (R.I.P., God Bless their Souls), and in my experience was never used in relation to someone simply being of the Protestant faith.

1 minute ago, Larky Masher said:

In your dreams.

You scrambled till you got a definition that suited you and never paused to check the source of the thing. So now you're saying Hun means protestant cause a tattered book says so. Despite the Not-proven verdicts being rendered in the judicial system , we're meant to just go by Dogma? Scotty's tattered book bad, this tattered book good.

Cherry picking has no academic integrity.

Anyway i've demonstarted the fallacies in the thread, on a personal note, perjoratives are a part of human tribalism and as such they will occur, we shouldn't encourage them but it's been happening for years and years . I personally use the club name and supporters when identifying groups. I

3 minutes ago, phart said:

You scrambled till you got a definition that suited you and never paused to check the source of the thing. So now you're saying Hun means protestant cause a tattered book says so. Despite the Not-proven verdicts being rendered in the judicial system , we're meant to just go by Dogma? Scotty's tattered book bad, this tattered book good.

Cherry picking has no academic integrity.

Anyway i've demonstarted the fallacies in the thread, on a personal note, perjoratives are a part of human tribalism and as such they will occur, we shouldn't encourage them but it's been happening for years and years . I personally use the club name and supporters when identifying groups. I

You've demonstrated, yet again, that you've got too much time of your hands.

42 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Actually, it was this:

"Yes. It was on Steven Anderson I think. It’s a mans game though. I said it at the time that Anderson should’ve got on with it. That Hun hitting the deck for that is just as embarrassing."

I call Rangers fans Huns, as they are Huns.

Same way I call Celtic fans Tim's.

Nothing to do with Religion or anything remotely close to that. Huns used to not bother being called Huns but they seem to have gone all Sally Sensitive since they started winning fuck all. They never complained about being called Huns during 9IAR etc. They actually revelled in it.

41 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I would respectfully disagree with Mr. Munro. I grew up in Ayrshire as a Catholic in a very "Protestant' town with a bit of Glasgow Overspill which had an element of Irish descent Celtic support within it. It could be a fairly toxic mix at times. I was getting it tight from both sides :lol:. The Celtic lot regarded me with suspicion as a Catholic who didn't support Celtic, in favour of Killie, and the Rangers lot still regarded me as a Catholic hence 'Fenian', 'Taig' etc.The clear difference was that these terms were applied if you were a Catholic, regardless of where your football team affiliation lay, whereas 'Hun' was a term that was entirely exclusively used with reference to the supporters of Rangers Football Club (R.I.P., God Bless their Souls), and in my experience was never used in relation to someone simply being of the Protestant faith.

Nail hit on head.

Fans of every team sing go home ya huns. Majority of those singing will be Protestant.

1 hour ago, Larky Masher said:

From the dictionary of the Scots Language as published by the University of Dundee http://www.dsl.ac.uk/

HUN, n. 1. Abusive name for a person who supports, or a footballer who plays for, Rangers Football Club. Also in pl. Rangers football team.

2. Abusive term for a Protestant. Also attrib.

The fact that a large percentage of Rangers fans are (or were) Protestant doesn't make it an abusive term for Protestants. I wouldn't say 'Hun' is sectarian phrase given that it's pretty much exclusively used towards Rangers fans - similar to how 'Tim' is used towards Celtic fans (in comparison to 'Taig' or 'Fenian' which is used towards the Catholic community at large).

The term 'attrib.' in the dictionary is a grammar term. It means that the word, in this case 'Hun', is an attributive noun (which means it can join directly to another noun as a modifier, as in the phrase 'Hun bastard').

Like any decent dictionary, this one lists examples of the term in print, showing its usage. The meaning of any word depends on its usage, not solely on its definition. The entry for 'Hun' in the 2005 supplement gives three examples of its use as an abusive term for 'Protestant' in print, the earliest of which is from The Patter (this, presumably, is the earliest printed source that the compilers could find; that would be the conventional way of doing it). Dictionaries based on historical principles (which are the ones that list examples of usage), don't list all the times a term has been used, but just sufficient to show the meaning or shifting shades of meaning, hence the further quotes from the article in the Herald and in Welsh's Acid House. It's no more or less than that. The word isn't being 'defined' (or attributed), examples of its use in print with a particular meaning are being recorded.

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Actually, it was this:

"Yes. It was on Steven Anderson I think. It’s a mans game though. I said it at the time that Anderson should’ve got on with it. That Hun hitting the deck for that is just as embarrassing."

I’m to blame for you coming out with taig. Brilliant. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Anyway, spoke to my mate who works at Aberdeen.

Game not on TV

Off course it won't be. Why would SKY show a Scottish Cup quarter final replay instead of a heavyweight clash that involves some shite like Northampton Town vs MK Dons