Scottish cup weekend - Page 9 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish cup weekend

24 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

The term 'attrib.' in the dictionary is a grammar term. It means that the word, in this case 'Hun', is an attributive noun (which means it can join directly to another noun as a modifier, as in the phrase 'Hun bastard').

Like any decent dictionary, this one lists examples of the term in print, showing its usage. The meaning of any word depends on its usage, not solely on its definition. The entry for 'Hun' in the 2005 supplement gives three examples of its use as an abusive term for 'Protestant' in print, the earliest of which is from The Patter (this, presumably, is the earliest printed source that the compilers could find; that would be the conventional way of doing it). Dictionaries based on historical principles (which are the ones that list examples of usage), don't list all the times a term has been used, but just sufficient to show the meaning or shifting shades of meaning, hence the further quotes from the article in the Herald and in Welsh's Acid House. It's no more or less than that. The word isn't being 'defined' (or attributed), examples of its use in print with a particular meaning are being recorded.

I wasn't thinking Attrib meant attributed.

Cheers for the rest, I was unaware they are just citing random examples of usage, though the citing seems a bit ropey. Especially with the Welsh quote, i'm not sure how they know it is synonymous with protestant in that quote.

1 minute ago, phart said:

Cheers for the rest, I was unaware they are just citing random examples of usage, though the citing seems a bit ropey. Especially with the Welsh quote, i'm not sure how they know it is synonymous with protestant in that quote.

So they could just cite someone saying it form here and then include that as an example of usage?

5 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Off course it won't be. Why would SKY show a Scottish Cup quarter final replay instead of a heavyweight clash that involves some shite like Northampton Town vs MK Dons

Sky aren't showing a live game on the Wednesday (I know the game's on the Tuesday), seems they couldn't give a toss about Scottish football when they get the opportunity to show a game. Although, you would've thought the BBC might have been able to show it - even if it was just on their website.

Edited by Clyde1998

38 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

The fact that a large percentage of Rangers fans are (or were) Protestant doesn't make it an abusive term for Protestants. I wouldn't say 'Hun' is sectarian phrase given that it's pretty much exclusively used towards Rangers fans - similar to how 'Tim' is used towards Celtic fans (in comparison to 'Taig' or 'Fenian' which is used towards the Catholic community at large).

Complain to Dundee University.

7 minutes ago, phart said:

Yes, good point. I don't see that either. Also interesting that the Herald quote, slightly enlarged, is used to show both uses of 'Hun'.

6 minutes ago, phart said:

So they could just cite someone saying it form here and then include that as an example of usage?

I've not seen online usage in a printed dictionary (not that I've bought one for years, and they're dying out), but the modern way of going is to collect all usage into a 'corpus' of the language and use that as the basis for studying linguistic evolution, and it's almost entirely made up of online chatter. I no longer work in a place that gives me access to the online OED, and I'm too tight to subscribe myself, but that's where to look.

4 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

Yes, good point. I don't see that either. Also interesting that the Herald quote, slightly enlarged, is used to show both uses of 'Hun'.

I've not seen online usage in a printed dictionary (not that I've bought one for years, and they're dying out), but the modern way of going is to collect all usage into a 'corpus' of the language and use that as the basis for studying linguistic evolution, and it's almost entirely made up of online chatter. I no longer work in a place that gives me access to the online OED, and I'm too tight to subscribe myself, but that's where to look.

Here's the OED extract

5. Sc. (Glasgow) and Irish English (north.) colloq. (derogatory and usually considered offensive). Also with lower-case initial. A Protestant. Also: a supporter of or player for Rangers Football Club in Glasgow, traditionally associated with the Protestant community.

1985   M. Munro Patter 36   Hun, a nickname for a Protestant. Also a vague nonsectarian insult much used in football chants like ‘The referee's a hun’ or ‘Go home ya hun’.
1993   I. Welsh Trainspotting (1994) 66   Ye ken Scott Nisbet, the fitba player likesay? He's in the Huns..eh Rangers first team.
2001   K. Fearon & A. Verlaque Lurgan Champagne & Other Tales 15   In the Catholic school lots of people go round saying ‘the Huns this and the Huns that’, but whenever you are in school mixing with Protestants there is nothing like that.
2003   J. Mullaney We'll be Back 225   One of the punters was talking to Matt about football and told him he was a Rangers' fan. Matt immediately called him a ‘dirty fucking Hun’ at which the guy took great exception.
2009   Belfast News Let. (Nexis) 8 July   Glarryford Orange Hall in Co Antrim was daubed with republican graffiti on Sunday night when vandals sprayed ‘IRA’ and ‘Huns out’ on the walls.

10 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

Seems to cite a couple more and add geographical context to usage. Cheers for citing it Larky.

1 minute ago, Larky Masher said:

I'm a bemused bystander wondering about your delusions of relevance.

Oh aye and I've got on-line access to the OED.

It's a message board, no one is relevant ya dafty. Check the nick of you when you get pointed out you were wrong. All this petulance it's amusing.

Donny corrects me " Cheers for the rest, I was unaware they are just citing random examples of usage "

Larky corrected starts trying to get personal. Haud your wheest.

4 minutes ago, TGP said:

I did. It was about violent conduct and language. Two points in fact.

Nope. You made a facile comment exhibiting your victimhood, then attempted to equate "Hun" with "Taig". 

Good effort though. Have you considered Follow Follow? You'll be actively encouraged to throw "taig" about on there. 

7 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Nope. You made a facile comment exhibiting your victimhood, then attempted to equate "Hun" with "Taig". 

Good effort though. Have you considered Follow Follow? You'll be actively encouraged to throw "taig" about on there. 

Yes I did.

I'm not and never have been a victim. You however appear to be a victim of your own narrowmindedness and hatred so much so that you immediately miss the intended point of a post and become abusing.

Sad reflection.

If there is an anti-Rangers bias here then I'll leave if you or others would prefer.

43 minutes ago, phart said:

It's a message board, no one is relevant ya dafty. Check the nick of you when you get pointed out you were wrong. All this petulance it's amusing.

Donny corrects me " Cheers for the rest, I was unaware they are just citing random examples of usage "

Larky corrected starts trying to get personal. Haud your wheest.

Hold I can't find where you threw those toys to.

3 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

Hold I can't find where you threw those toys to.

Stop projecting Larky. You've been trying the last page and a half, the bait and grass doesn't work on Adults lol.

Right you may now have the last word.

42 minutes ago, TGP said:

Yes I did.

I'm not and never have been a victim. You however appear to be a victim of your own narrowmindedness and hatred so much so that you immediately miss the intended point of a post and become abusing.

Sad reflection.

If there is an anti-Rangers bias here then I'll leave if you or others would prefer.

https://youtu.be/ujwm8YrEgI4

50 minutes ago, TGP said:

Yes I did.

Sad reflection.

and there it is, you've went full circle

Hun is an offensive term - check

TAMB is anti rangers - check

next stop - rangers media