SSC Renewals - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SSC Renewals

slasher

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Fook off the lot of you. I am away to Morrisons to get cheap red wine that will stain my teeth then watch a double episode of Coronation st. 

My trip out of ‘anything goes ‘ has been an unmitigated disaster 🤨 

Yeah, I was just doing it to phuk with your evening. 

7 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

Everyone at some point started on zero. Its not hard to build up points but you have to go to 3 or 4 games a year, every year, not just when a big game comes along.

I wish you would stop saying that.  It is not easy to build up points unless you have the money. Those of you saying you make sacrifices obviously do have the money.

Basically over the last few years the suits have told us we can only go to away games if we have a certain income.

Some one said regarding 10% tickets left for a ballot would lead to some people with points  disappointed  well you can only be disappointed if you have hope. There are a lot of Fans that will never have any hope of going to competitive away games

4 hours ago, drew said:

I believe they all have a loyalty system in place.

England home and away games are awarded the same points (they call it caps) which are used when demand outstrips supply of tickets. Used to just be away games that were awarded but it hasn't made much of a difference in who got tickets as nearly everyone who goes to an away game will go to the home matches.

Aberdeen do similar thing although some matches get slightly more points than others. They have on the odd occasion misjudged demand and set the points to low resulting in some people missing out who would normally have got or to high resulting in a very slow sale process.

Far better way of doing things.

Regarding the old firm, is it the same sort of elite who always get tickets for away old firm games?

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I wish you would stop saying that.  It is not easy to build up points unless you have the money. Those of you saying you make sacrifices obviously do have the money.

Basically over the last few years the suits have told us we can only go to away games if we have a certain income.

Some one said regarding 10% tickets left for a ballot would lead to some people with points  disappointed  well you can only be disappointed if you have hope. There are a lot of Fans that will never have any hope of going to competitive away games

Ach away, it's easy for fans to build up points. You're just not making the right sacrifices. I'm on 8 points, and both myself and the missus earn around the average salary.

I just explained to the wife and kids that they won't be getting a holiday this year (or ever), plus i explained to my bank that i wanted to take a break from paying my mortgage. They were both very understanding, and even complimented me on my commitment to my national team.

My firstborn wasn't too keen when i told her i needed one of her kidneys to sell to a lovely rich family in America, but she came round when i told her we'd stop off at Disneyland if we had time.

28 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Fook off the lot of you. I am away to Morrisons to get cheap red wine that will stain my teeth then watch a double episode of Coronation st. 

My trip out of ‘anything goes ‘ has been an unmitigated disaster 🤨 

“Load of shite” :lol:

15 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

OK, I'll bite.

I'll call the bit in bold out as total bollocks unless you can provide a reference to where this was ever said or implied.

How many away points do you have, and why do you not have more? What's stopping you making away trips? We haven't had any in the last 5 years (including Georgia) that have been particularly difficult to get to, in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

How so?

You need a certain income to be able to afford to go abroad on a regular basis.Easy to say its simple to pick up points not so easy when they expire before you can afford to go away again.

That is what the travel club has done. I missed one home game in the last campaign, England game because I see no point in being in the travel club unless you plan on travelling somewhere. Although I do travel from the Hebrides so maybe I should join.

Didn't know what to say when some one said they got a flight to Albania for £150

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

OK, I'll bite.

I'll call the bit in bold out as total bollocks unless you can provide a reference to where this was ever said or implied.

How many away points do you have, and why do you not have more? What's stopping you making away trips? We haven't had any in the last 5 years (including Georgia) that have been particularly difficult to get to, in my opinion.

Think I answered that at the same time you posted it

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You need a certain income to be able to afford to go abroad on a regular basis.Easy to say its simple to pick up points not so easy when they expire before you can afford to go away again.

That is what the travel club has done. I missed one home game in the last campaign, England game because I see no point in being in the travel club unless you plan on travelling somewhere. Although I do travel from the Hebrides so maybe I should join.

Didn't know what to say when some one said they got a flight to Albania for £150

Make sacrifices and go to less home games and more away games. It's simple 

You're at it 

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You don't need 'a certain income' to do so.

You need to decide what your priorities are with the income you have and plan accordingly.

I understand that you are never going to get flights to Albania for 150 notes, but that's a function of where you live (you don't say why you choose to live in the Hebrides, but frankly that's a moot point).

Where I am, I have limited flight options and it costs me significant euro (compared to others) to get to anywhere to see the away games.

For example, I won't be making Budapest although the game falls bang on my birthday, because at New Year my 89 year old mother asked me to be with her on that day. In my mind, there wasn't a choice to be made. That's where my priority lies on this occasion.

5 hours ago, kumnio said:

When teams play games where there are limited tickets, previous attendance is taken into account. It happens for club cup finals for example. 

The Scotland Travel Club, think that’s what it’s called, acts in the same manner. I’m not able to make Israel this year, so will drop down a point, if I then lose access to tickets, it’s my own fault. 

Order your ticket,not like theres going go be selective pick up

8 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

You need to decide what your priorities are with the income you have and plan accordingly.

I understand that you are never going to get flights to Albania for 150 notes, but that's a function of where you live (you don't say why you choose to live in the Hebrides, but frankly that's a moot point).

Where I am, I have limited flight options and it costs me significant euro (compared to others) to get to anywhere to see the away games.

For example, I won't be making Budapest although the game falls bang on my birthday, because at New Year my 89 year old mother asked me to be with her on that day. In my mind, there wasn't a choice to be made. That's where my priority lies on this occasion.

unacceptable!  she could still be with you in Budapest.
:ph34r:
;)

23 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Hitch hike

Take a tent

Don't drink 

👍

1 minute ago, tartanmartin said:

unacceptable!  she could still be with you in Budapest.
:ph34r:
;)

:lol:

Would love that to be the case, but unfortunately the days of her even managing to make the shops let alone get on a plane (as she did up until 4/5 years ago) are over.

Want to make the most of her while she's still here.

Anyway, back on topic, I only introduced that as an example of sometimes having to decide your priorities - they could be economic, family or work related. Every one of us is impacted by them.

38 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Sorry but what sort of disposable income do you think is needed to get on the ladder at a high enough level to get a ticket for a competitive game? I don't understand how this can be argued. I work 37.5 hours a week and cant afford to go away twice a year to see friendlies just on the off chance I might get a ticket for a competitive game. Live in the Hebrides because that is were I was born the wife was born and were we decided was the best place to bring up our children.

Should probably have sacrificed all that for the chance to follow Scotland or worked harder in school  but what ever way you look at it I will never have any chance of a ticket based on the current system.

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Sorry but what sort of disposable income do you think is needed to get on the ladder at a high enough level to get a ticket for a competitive game? I don't understand how this can be argued. I work 37.5 hours a week and cant afford to go away twice a year to see friendlies just on the off chance I might get a ticket for a competitive game. Live in the Hebrides because that is were I was born the wife was born and were we decided was the best place to bring up our children.

Should probably have sacrificed all that for the chance to follow Scotland or worked harder in school  but what ever way you look at it I will never have any chance of a ticket based on the current system.

As has been said ad nauseam on this thread, everybody in the travel club started on 0 points at one stage. As I've already pointed out it's less a question of disposable income, and more to do with how high up your list of priorities following Scotland on away trips is.

There is no right or wrong answer here, other than the away points system is what it is and it works perfectly well as it stands. Sorry that it doesn't work for you, but your assertion about level of disposable income does not stand up to much scrutiny. 

6 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

As has been said ad nauseam on this thread, everybody in the travel club started on 0 points at one stage. As I've already pointed out it's less a question of disposable income, and more to do with how high up your list of priorities following Scotland on away trips is.

There is no right or wrong answer here, other than the away points system is what it is and it works perfectly well as it stands. Sorry that it doesn't work for you, but your assertion about level of disposable income does not stand up to much scrutiny. 

Really don't understand how you don't get that.

Any way I'm of to skin a rabbit

11 hours ago, Alan said:

The current system was created when travelling was difficult.  Now its easy to organise, people have more disposable income and it's an "event" where football is a small part of it.

It needs to change.  People are being rewarded out of proportion for going on holiday and not even bothering with home games which should be your core support.

There should be rewards for all fans and not just the people who travel usually in the older age group with cash to spend.

Agree with Alan 100% . Points system needs to come into the 21st. century.

When did the points system come in , wasn't there for most of the Marjory Nimmo tenure  when it was called The Scotland Travel Club ?

38 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

The phrase 'have your cake and eat it' springs to mind.

Trips can be quite cheap if money is your concern. Use budget airlines, stay in dorm rooms, cook your own food, don't drink alcohol, etc