Global Nations League - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Global Nations League

saintsparky

Reading on the ESPN website, FIFA are now planning on a Global Nations League starting in 2021 to replace international friendlies as well.

Similar to UEFA one, but with global leagues. We could be in a group with Peru, Jamaica, South Africa and the Maldives....could be some top away trips!!!

Didn't quite read enough of it to understand how the groups work, but I guess it is a way for FIFA to have the major European and south American countries playing more often in competitive games.

31 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

Sounds great on paper, hard to see the clubs agreeing to their players on 20 hour flights and having to come back to play on the Saturday though 

I think this will also kick off a wider club league too. Where clubs are jetting all over the World on a weekly basis. 

Just when I had got my head round the European one this happens. No doubt it will be even more complicated. 

I can’t really see how it will work logistically unless it’s regionalised but what would be the point in that? It would just be like the European one. Unless the finals/playoffs were global?

I’m confused already. :blink:

On 03/11/2017 at 7:59 PM, Paulo2576 said:

Sounds great on paper, hard to see the clubs agreeing to their players on 20 hour flights and having to come back to play on the Saturday though 

I think you'll be proved correct there. The big clubs will pull the plug on this idea.

No way do teams like Man City, PSG, Bayern Munich or Juventus want their new £40,000,000 striker jetting off for a double header against Australia and South Africa.

On 04/11/2017 at 9:49 AM, Malcolm said:

Ffs... I’d prefer the home internationals back.

:rollsmile:

Aye, they should bring back rationing and air raid drill too.

44 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I think you'll be proved correct there. The big clubs will pull the plug on this idea.

No way do teams like Man City, PSG, Bayern Munich or Juventus want their new £40,000,000 striker jetting off for a double header against Australia and South Africa.

A lot of them already do with numerous South American and African players.

14 minutes ago, fringo said:

A lot of them already do with numerous South American and African players.

What I was thinking of was Uruguayan of Argentinian internationalist jetting off with his team to play a match in Sydney followed by a match in Johannesburg. Not counting of course the travel from England,  Italy, Spain or wherever the player plays his club football at.

And of course these will be competitive games as opposed to laid back friendlies with more effort being applied and more hard tackling occurring.

The big club sides will crush this proposal.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

26 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

What I was thinking of was Uruguayan of Argentinian internationalist jetting off with his team to play a match in Sydney followed by a match in Johannesburg. Not counting of course the travel from England,  Italy, Spain or wherever the player plays his club football at.

And of course these will be competitive games as opposed to laid back friendlies with more effort being applied and more hard tackling occurring.

The big club sides will crush this proposal.

You could well be right but for the "big" teams I don't think it'll be much different in terms of travel.

Won't they also now have games in Europe that they don't have just now so it could actually reduce some travel too ?

On 05/11/2017 at 11:15 AM, ErsatzThistle said:

Don’t think we need to worry about any £40m strikers jetting off with Scotland! 

Once every four years... home international... better than boring friendlies.  😊

While looks good on paper, I suspect the group stages will be regional somewhat (so we would still be in UEFA) and would not be until the play off "finals" before we play teams from outside of Europe (asking a lot for the likes of Andorra and San Marino to travel to Fiji or American Samoa for a match.....)