Match thread - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Match thread

wheres the pies

An expected performance unfortunately. We've rode our luck far too often and it was going to run out eventually. Far too lethargic, sitting too deep and technically just not good enough. Too many vanilla players who are much of a muchness. Couldn't commit younger, more dynamic players to the game because we wouldn't blood them at home. 

Both Slovakia and Slovenia had much more technically able players than we did. 

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, adamntg said:

Aye.   On the empirical evidence that 14 points from the last 6 games is better than 4 from the first 4.  We improved in our second games against Slovakia, Lithuania and England and are now unbeaten in six competitive matches. 

Why do you think we haven't improved?

Using you’re logic we’ve gone backwards tonight........when the pressure was really on we failed again.

strachan reverted to his early campaign tactics and favourites when we have great young, h7ngry and in form players to pick from,

16 minutes ago, Mitre said:

i dont like singling folk out but that performance of matt phillips was an utter farce.

should be his last game for scotland. zero effort.

Totally agree plus he ain't Scottish in the slightest.

15 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Bannan used the ball well I thought tonight.

Again probably in the category of good squad player but not good enough to be a regular starter.

There will be some regeneration in central midfield anyway as Fletcher and Scot Brown (again) will probably call it a day. Maybe Snodgrass aswell.

Bannan was our best player tonight imo

14 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Exactly why Forrest and McGregor should have started tonight.

The reason we got this close was because of Brendan Rodgers, not Strachan. 

Our squad is very poor. Losing out on goal difference was arguably an achievement! all things considered Strachan done some good, certainly more than Rodgers!

11 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Even I agree that Forrest should be ahead of Phillips. McGregor or mcginn  should have started, the one who didn’t should have came on as sub.

This wasn't the game for someone to make their international debut from the start.

6 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

That was a good opportunity... never good to criticise your team mates though.

It's refreshing to hear someone speak their mind and say it like it was, after all everyone is thinking the same as what was said.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Whatever the starting line-up tonight if we never got the win Strachan would be slated. A 4-5-1 and people would have said we needed two strikers as we needed the win. We went with 4-4-2 and he's getting slated for not sticking with the tried and trusted set-up of 4-5-1.

My problem wasn't the players or formations, it was the fact (like plenty of games before) when it's plainly obvious things aren't working, he doesn't react quick enough.

2 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

We have improved over the last few matches but in these two matches Strachan had to earn his wage after Brown and Armstrong were ruled out. We got a lucky win v Slovakia (lucky because of the early red card) and were outplayed tonight. 

Any fan could pick the Celtic players and fill in the gaps. Let's not pretend Strachan is the reason we have improved recently. 

we improved because we thought we were out

soon as looked like we weren't reverted to type

1 minute ago, McExpat said:

Our squad is very poor. Losing out on goal difference was arguably an achievement! all things considered Strachan done some good, certainly more than Rodgers!

This wasn't the game for someone to make their international debut from the start.

It's refreshing to hear someone speak their mind and say it like it was, after all everyone is thinking the same as what was said.

Ah the old that wasn’t the game for someone to make his debut bull shit. The alternative is to play this who have failed time and time again. Great plan.

17 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

The reason we got this close was because of Brendan Rodgers, not Strachan. 

An interesting hypothesis. But as fate would have it, those benefiting in terms of final credits have been Strachan's picks and subs recently (Martin, Anya, Snodgrass, etc.)

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

strachan reverted to his early campaign tactics and favourites when we have great young, h7ngry and in form players to pick from,

Bingo

It's like everyone has forgot how this campaign started - not to mention being really really lucky in the middle to end

We were relying on certain players that have let us down in the past big time

1 minute ago, exile said:

An interesting hypothesis. But as fate would have it, those benefiting in terms of final credits have been Strachan's picks and subs recently (Martin, Anya, Snodgrass, etc.)

Martin has indeed shut a few people up this campaign, myself included.

But Snodgrass and Anya? I don't think so. 

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Ah the old that wasn’t the game for someone to make his debut bull shit. The alternative is to play this who have failed time and time again. Great plan.

We missed out on goal difference with a terrible squad, perhaps the worst ever, I'd say we punched above our weight in this campaign. 

5 minutes ago, McExpat said:

I think one on from start would have been ok, freshen things up, as long as alongside the likes of Fletcher.

But even if not from the start, why not later? they didn't get on at all, even when we were drawing, or losing!

1 minute ago, exile said:

Precisely. Those players fans don't want in the side have kept us in the running. Martin with crucial goals at the death and assists in other games and Anya set up the winner the other night whilst Snodrgrass scored tonight when he came on. Fans choices in the past have failed to sparkle such as Burke in the games he has played so there is no guarantee McGregor or McGinn would have made an impact. In cruch times Strachan or any managers will turn to players they know can cut it at this level and at present that isn't McGregor or McGinn.

14 minutes ago, McExpat said:

The alternative of course involving starting eight of 11 players who have failed time and again on this stage. We do the same thing over and over again and expect something to change, it is utter f u cking madness.

Edited by Mox

3 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Far too lethargic, sitting too deep and technically just not good enough. Both Slovakia and Slovenia had much more technically able players than we did. 

That's what I was going to post. Lack of energy and sharpness, lack of urgency until the end then no composure and blindly hoofing the ball up when there was time for a touch or quick side pass to a better positioned player.

Lack of creativity and link-up play in the final third, lack of attacking options/movement so players were resorting to long shots. Something about the shape of the team/players picked was wrong. Hardly any chances created.

Too slow to get forward; midfield not at the races; shite v shite in the first half but in the second they were good and we weren't. A sluggish performance like that in a must-win game and also the fact we did still go one up yet didn't dig in and force another to get 2-0 up or defend the lead...poor overall.

It was mentioned in commentary about how deep we were sitting back that was the problem for most of the match. That may have been down to anxiety and we never really shook ourselves out of that. We were lucky to get the draw which is gutting really. I can see why people want Strachan out and at the moment I couldn't care less either way but it scares the shite out of me who the SFA would get to replace him.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It was mentioned in commentary about how deep we were sitting back that was the problem for most of the match. That may have been down to anxiety and we never really shook ourselves out of that. We were lucky to get the draw which is gutting really. I can see why people want Strachan out and at the moment I couldn't care less either way but it scares the shite out of me who the SFA would get to replace him.

it was down to us playing a 442 and being a man light in midfield