Last 4 matches - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Last 4 matches

romanticscot

19 minutes ago, MikeyGC said:

Just have this looming feeling that Lithuania will be another Malta moment. Think I heard they play on an astro pitch? Really hope this won't affect the players performances, managers now-a-days always moan that it makes a big difference, does it??

Play a bounce game at Hamilton or somewhere similar.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/06/2017 at 10:29 AM, adamntg said:

Scotland beat Slovenia, Slovenia beat Slovakia, Slovakia beat Scotland.

Scotland and Slovenia have both dropped points to Lithuania where Slovakia haven't, but both have picked up points against England while Slovakia haven't.

That's precisely why second place won't be good enough

If Scotland and England win EVERY game left and every other game in the group ends up a draw then maybe a play off spot is achievable

Its over, come to terms with it now rather than getting you're hopes up

1 minute ago, DoonTheSlope said:

That's precisely why second place won't be good enough

If Scotland and England win EVERY game left and every other game in the group ends up a draw then maybe a play off spot is achievable

Its over, come to terms with it now rather than getting you're hopes up

Arithmetic ain't your strong point.

If we win our 4 remaining
and slovakia beat slovenia (or vice versa)
and slovenia beat lithuania
and slovakia beat malta
and england at least draws with both slovakia and slovenia

then we qualify 2nd on 20 points.

We can probably afford 3 wins and a draw and still make it.. winning the next two games would really put the pressure on the two 'slov' teams.

1 hour ago, ULSTERSCOTAS said:

Well my thoughts are that we need tae win the remaining 4 games and (ye'll need tae trust me) we will get intae a play aff - probably again the likes o Italy though

We should go for 4, that's for sure.

But ultimately it's reasonably possible that 3 and a draw will do.

Obviously, I want to win all remaining games, no question. And we could. HOWEVER, as overwhelming and tumultuous and all the other adjectives you can throw in to describe the last seven minutes of Saturday were, the remainder of the game was dross. OK, perhaps take out the first 20 minutes when we won 4 corners. Both teams - and even allowing for the time of the season, very poor IMHO. Therefore, imagine being Slovenian or Slovakian and watching that. You'd be pretty confident of getting something against both teams.  You'd be thinking:

Both keepers are crap

Scotland buckle under pressure, especially in final minutes

That Scotland striker can take free kicks

Target Scott Brown and get him booked / sent off.

Fingers crossed we get to play-offs then, eh?

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

as long as the draw isn't against Slovakia and possibly Slovenia

that'll depend on the slovakia vs slovenia result. if slovakia win then 3 wins and a draw might not do it. anything else and i think we're good with 3&1.

Currently:
12 slovak
11 sloven
8 scot

slovakia likely to add 0 vs england, 3 vs malta 0-3 vs slovenia. so 15-18 points for them excluding our game.
slovenia could add 0 vs england, 3 vs lithuania, 0-3 vs slovenia. so 14-17 points for them.
if we beat lithuania and malta, that's 6 on our 8, taking us to 14. then 2 games against the above 2.

so a slovakia vs slovenia draw would be fantastic for us. otherwise we kinda need to beat the winner. if it's slovenia i think we could draw with them as goal difference will favour us (as long as we make the most of our malta match!) if it's slovakia then i think we're probably going to have to beat them fair and square. so a draw is best, a slovenian win is the 2nd best option.

tho of course, is we go into the final game needing a draw to qualify we all know what'll happen. ;)

We will deal with play off opponents when or if we make it. Right now, we know the 4 games between us and a potential play off.  Was winning the group the only scenario that would have made you Happy? 

6 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

We will deal with play off opponents when or if we make it. Right now, we know the 4 games between us and a potential play off.  Was winning the group the only scenario that would have made you Happy? 

Beating England would have then we would maybe been able to drop some points in these last 4 games.   

We ll beat malta btw so only 3 games to play really.

I predict for what it is worth that going into final match we will be on 17 points with Slovakia and Slovenia on 15 and 14 points respectively. 

Although mathematically possible for Slovenia they will know their challenge is over as even a win against us will not be enough as Slovakia will top them against Malta---Ergo Slovenia will be more beatable.

Will be down to us. Beat Slovenia and Slovakia will be out.

Remember the current standings are misleading as the 2 slovs are still to play England at Wembley -----matches which because of the timing in the group will mean England have something to play for.

My friends, short of Slovakia winning at Wembley we are in with a reasonable chance of getting 2nd.

Believe 

13 minutes ago, marinello said:

I predict for what it is worth that going into final match we will be on 17 points with Slovakia and Slovenia on 15 and 14 points respectively. 

Although mathematically possible for Slovenia they will know their challenge is over as even a win against us will not be enough as Slovakia will top them against Malta---Ergo Slovenia will be more beatable.

Will be down to us. Beat Slovenia and Slovakia will be out.

Remember the current standings are misleading as the 2 slovs are still to play England at Wembley -----matches which because of the timing in the group will mean England have something to play for.

My friends, short of Slovakia winning at Wembley we are in with a reasonable chance of getting 2nd.

Believe 

I am in agreement with you.  The next two match days will be telling, I am already counting the weeks, I live in the states now so I put in my time off requests so I can watch them live and not have to deal with text on the BBC. 

5 hours ago, Jacques Hunt said:

Target Scott Brown and get him booked / sent off.

Next booking gets him a 1 game ban, so he should be looking to take a tactical booking in the closing stages of the Lithuania game, so he can sit out against Malta at home, and not risk either of the Slovenia/Slovakia games.

14 hours ago, Jacques Hunt said:

. Therefore, imagine being Slovenian or Slovakian and watching that

Scotland buckle under pressure, especially in final minutes

We've scored 4 goals in the last 10 minutes of games in this campaign and conceded 1, one of them gave us a win over Slovenia. Not really sure that means we buckle under pressure in the final minutes.