Phone "Etiquette" - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Settle a daft wee debate for me.

Situation: Your at the house of a friend or family member. They are either stuck in the toilet, out in the garden or fannying about in the kitchen. Their house phone then starts ringing and keeps ringing.

Do you answer it ? 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Moved into my own place 7 years ago and not had a house phone at any time. 

No point.

I practically never make outgoing landline calls.  My wife, despite having a mobile with unlimited calls, has an annoying tendency to use the house phone outwith the hours when calls made on the landline are free (free calls now start at 7pm when it used to be 6pm).  I need a landline for broadband but otherwise it's a waste of money.

1 minute ago, Och Aye said:

Do people often go into different rooms or out to the garden when you visit?

;)

Now you mention it, people do tend to do that when I start talking about my great interest in forgotten local antiquities ..........

The chances are it's of the 'we are ringing about your recent accident' type, so the only decent think to do is answer & ask how they know about the 10-car pile up that left you scarred & wheelchair-bound for life. Ask them to send you as much detail as possible & fix up several appointments.

17 hours ago, Alibi said:

I practically never make outgoing landline calls.  My wife, despite having a mobile with unlimited calls, has an annoying tendency to use the house phone outwith the hours when calls made on the landline are free (free calls now start at 7pm when it used to be 6pm).  I need a landline for broadband but otherwise it's a waste of money.

Ditto. We have major eruptions about this practice.

Only folk who phone our house phone are spam calls my mother and mother in law, none of whom I wish to speak to hence why not once will I pick the phone up when  it rings.

26 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Only folk who phone our house phone are spam calls my mother and mother in law, none of whom I wish to speak to hence why not once will I pick the phone up when  it rings.

Why don't you register with the tps it's called the telephone prefrence centre do it online takes a few minutes to do but takes up to 28 days for it to kick in it should stop all them marketing calls since I done it never have had one call in over 2 years  

4 hours ago, macy37 said:

Made no difference to me - still get loads but If i do not recognise the number it aint answered.