Midweek fitba - Page 11 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Midweek fitba

5 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Which would involve a proper scouting network which I don't believe they have in place.

It looks like you're all arguing the same point from a different angle.

Rangers have an advantage over 10 of the other 11 teams, which due to poor management over the last few years isn't particularly  evident on the park.

Rangers should have an advantage

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BlueGaz
31 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

which due to poor management over the last few years isn't particularly  evident on the park.

Hence, negates it as an advantage.

15 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Hence, negates it as an advantage.

i don't think it does, Rangers can afford to be a bit more speculative, carry a bigger squad, they have the best training facilities...

All these advantages surely negate the bad management to a point.

Guest BlueGaz
3 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

i don't think it does, Rangers can afford to be a bit more speculative, carry a bigger squad, they have the best training facilities...

Nothing negates the bad management in my eyes.  Thats separate and apparent.  

13 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Resources alone don't generate performance it's how these resources are used that generates performance and thus any advantage.

Edited by Larky Masher

Guest BlueGaz
4 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

i don't think it does,

Of course it does.  If you have 1 mil and i have 10 mil, i squander mine on shite and you buy the best available, my 10 mil is no longer an advantage.

Guest BlueGaz
Just now, sbcmfc said:

I'm glad I'm not in your fantasy football league.

:lol:

You should be, the exact reason I don't play them anymore.  I always Warburton it.

14 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

How much did Gretna spend to make it to the top League in just 3 years?

What type of players did they sign (and on what wages?)

The Rangers should have used that model but I imagine that they were terrified of drawing Celtic in one of the Cups (or perhaps had a Cup win as a goal).

Even at the time, most could see that the flaw in their strategy was trying to do too much too soon. 

Gretna were paying some of their players £2k a week in the 2nd division. Amazing the amount of folk that fell for the Gretna story.

10 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

beat me to it.

RB is using hindsight but at the time they were signing SPL quality players to promoted to the SPL. Happy to be proven wrong here but I can't remember much being said about getting a cup winning side together. It was always about getting promoted to the top division. 

I'm not sure why Bluegaz and RB are even arguing this point, all I've said is having a bigger budget than your rivals gives you and advantage, so far Rangers have spunked that advantage against the wall through poor signings and bad management. The season is far from over, Rangers could still end up 2nd and in the cup final or even win the cup. 

You are ignoring the fact I already pointed out our piss poor manager as one of the non-financial reasons we underperformed. 

He managed to turn these players back into the Journeyman wasters they really were. 

And black having one good season hardly makes him a good player as we've been told over and over this season about Joey Barton. 

I

13 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

You are ignoring the fact I already pointed out our piss poor manager as one of the non-financial reasons we underperformed. 

He managed to turn these players back into the Journeyman wasters they really were. 

And black having one good season hardly makes him a good player as we've been told over and over this season about Joey Barton. 

I'm not ignoring anything, Rangers had an advantage in that league just they do in this league with the exception of Celtic. Rangers won league 2 by 24 points so these players must have been better than what they were up against. Regardless of whether McCoist turned them into shite players is irrelevant, the point that has been made over and over and over is that Rangers had and advantage then and had an advantage at the the start of this season. They should be doing better but they've fecked any advantage they had.

Black had a good season and everyone thought he would be a good player, I am sure Aberdeen wanted him too. He had decent seasons. AT THE TIME he signed for Rangers he was rated, you have the benefit of hindsight because we know he turned out to be shite in the end.

My issue with you is you said the budget argument is nonsense, it's not because Rangers HAD the advantage, thats the point being made. 

On 08/02/2017 at 8:03 AM, Fairbairn said:

Couldn't give you an exact number but I'd bet it was a pretty small proportion of the 40 odd thousand that were sold.  I've yet to speak to a Rangers fan who genuinely thought there was a possibility of us winning the league this season.  Pretty much everyone thought we'd be closer to Celtic than we are at this stage but I'd imagine most Aberdeen and possibly Hearts fans would have thought the same.

Have a word with Derek Johnstone.

I don't normally listed to Radio Clyde's phone-in, but it was on in the car I was being driven in last week.

They were talking about Ranger's fans' expectations and Johnstone said that most, if not all, were realistic about what they could achieve at the moment.

They guy who hosts the programme (don't know who that is) asked Johnstone when he had started being realistic.

Johnstone asked what the presenter meant by that only to be reminded that he (Johnstone) had predicted at the start of the season that Rangers would win the title.

I was very surprised.

2 hours ago, Flure said:

I was very surprised.

Surprised that Johnstone predicted they would win the league, or surprised the presenter reminded him of it? 

If it's the former then you shouldn't be. As Chris Sutton rightly said, he's a "Rangers cheerleader".

7 hours ago, Flure said:

Have a word with Derek Johnstone.

I don't normally listed to Radio Clyde's phone-in, but it was on in the car I was being driven in last week.

They were talking about Ranger's fans' expectations and Johnstone said that most, if not all, were realistic about what they could achieve at the moment.

They guy who hosts the programme (don't know who that is) asked Johnstone when he had started being realistic.

Johnstone asked what the presenter meant by that only to be reminded that he (Johnstone) had predicted at the start of the season that Rangers would win the title.

I was very surprised.

Nothing Derek Johnstone says should be taken seriously, ever. 

8 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I

I'm not ignoring anything, Rangers had an advantage in that league just they do in this league with the exception of Celtic. Rangers won league 2 by 24 points so these players must have been better than what they were up against. Regardless of whether McCoist turned them into shite players is irrelevant, the point that has been made over and over and over is that Rangers had and advantage then and had an advantage at the the start of this season. They should be doing better but they've fecked any advantage they had.

Black had a good season and everyone thought he would be a good player, I am sure Aberdeen wanted him too. He had decent seasons. AT THE TIME he signed for Rangers he was rated, you have the benefit of hindsight because we know he turned out to be shite in the end.

My issue with you is you said the budget argument is nonsense, it's not because Rangers HAD the advantage, thats the point being made. 

And my point was a single season budget is the wrong comparison. Warburton has had 2 seasons worth of cash.  McInnes has had 4 seasons worth. 

Warburton had to build virtually from scratch.  Not sure what level of building McInnes had to do but don't remember it being as total a job as at Ibrox. 

That's the comparison. 

2 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

And my point was a single season budget is the wrong comparison. Warburton has had 2 seasons worth of cash.  McInnes has had 4 seasons worth. 

Warburton had to build virtually from scratch.  Not sure what level of building McInnes had to do but don't remember it being as total a job as at Ibrox. 

That's the comparison. 

What level has Del Boy spent at?

15 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I

Not getting involved in this fight (coz i really dont care), but from a footballing perspective what was interesting about that league was the amount of games we won in the last 20 minutes. Close to about 40%, I seem to remember. Fitness was (and is) a massive factor. 

On 2/9/2017 at 7:31 AM, Jon Cutler said:

Gretna were paying some of their players £2k a week in the 2nd division. Amazing the amount of folk that fell for the Gretna story.

Fell for what?

Going through the Leagues in 3 years as opposed to 4 with the second biggest budget in Scottish football?

4 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Fell for what?

Going through the Leagues in 3 years as opposed to 4 with the second biggest budget in Scottish football?

Gretna did a better job of it than Rangers on a smaller budget.

They seemed to have a mix of experience, horses for courses and a bit of "quality" for whatever level they were at.

They were paying premier league wages, not trebling the wages of the best players from Motherwell, Killie and hearts.