Midweek fitba - Page 9 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Midweek fitba

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Its not just those colleagues, huns I know from back home and outside work feel the same way. They want Warburton out because this season so far is not good enough, this goes against what you say about being pleasantly surprised to be challenging Aberdeen. 

I didn't say it was all about budget, you assumed I think this. There are other factors but having 3/4/5 times the spending power gives you and advantage over your rivals, an advantage which rangers have managed to piss up against the wall.

I'm pretty sure I know more Rangers fans than you and all bar 1 were expecting to be challenging for a Euro spot, nothing more. 

Their issue is about the quality of football being played. We're just not very pretty this season at all. 

One nugget wants Warburton sacked but he believed we'd win the league just because we beat Celtic in the cup last season. 

The budget argument is nonsense. Just because we pay more in wages in a season is too short a measure. Aberdeen have been building their squad under McInnes for years. Rangers have had to build from scratch since the start of last season thanks to McCoist and the previous board. If you consider that,  then Aberdeen should be miles ahead of Rangers. 

The real question is why do clubs come up from the Championship and constantly run Aberdeen close for 2nd?

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

I've just told you I don't put it all down to budget but it does give you a massive advantage. If you see things in a different way to other, elaborate and tell us how you see it?

Instead of these soundbites tell us exactly how you see it.

Why?  There is very little point in me discussing anything with you, so lets agree to disagree.  

Just now, BlueGaz said:

Why?  There is very little point in me discussing anything with you, so lets agree to disagree.  

you mean you can't put your point across because you don't have to. I'm open minded and I've put my points to you so you should reciprocate. 

Guest BlueGaz
Just now, vanderark14 said:

you mean you can't put your point across because you don't have to. I'm open minded and I've put my points to you so you should reciprocate. 

You're not open minded at all.  We haven't managed to agree on the simplest of things in the past, generally.  On the odd ocassion I have agreed with something you have said, that has been the end of it  I have no issues with this, I suspect we feel the same about each other - but lets not pretend we can discuss anything normally.  Cheerio.  :ok:

2 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I'm pretty sure I know more Rangers fans than you and all bar 1 were expecting to be challenging for a Euro spot, nothing more. 

Their issue is about the quality of football being played. We're just not very pretty this season at all. 

One nugget wants Warburton sacked but he believed we'd win the league just because we beat Celtic in the cup last season. 

The budget argument is nonsense. Just because we pay more in wages in a season is too short a measure. Aberdeen have been building their squad under McInnes for years. Rangers have had to build from scratch since the start of last season thanks to McCoist and the previous board. If you consider that,  then Aberdeen should be miles ahead of Rangers. 

The real question is why do clubs come up from the Championship and constantly run Aberdeen close for 2nd?

The only advantage we have over Aberdeen is a settled team but the money you have should give you the ability to attract a better standard of player than we can. I'm not saying having a bigger budget automatically gives you 2nd place but to say its nonsense is stupid at best. 

5 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

You're not open minded at all.  We haven't managed to agree on the simplest of things in the past, generally.  On the odd ocassion I have agreed with something you have said, that has been the end of it  I have no issues with this, I suspect we feel the same about each other - but lets not pretend we can discuss anything normally.  Cheerio.  :ok:

absolute nonsense, you struggle to put a coherent argument together, thats whats happening here. You refuse to engage and are making excuses for this by saying I won't agree with you. Whether I agree with you or not is irrelevant, do you only want to discuss a topic that we agree on?

PS, we've agreed on something within the last two pages, lets see if you can spot it. 

now lets hear what it it you see that others don't.

Edited by vanderark14

Guest BlueGaz
Just now, vanderark14 said:

absolute nonsense, you struggle to put a coherent argument together, thats whats happening here. You refuse to engage and are making excuses for this by saying I won't agree with you. Whether I agree with you or not is irrelevant, do you only want to discuss a topic that we agree on?

With you?  Yes.  

Guest BlueGaz
6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I see, you only want to debate with people who agree with your argument.....................the problem is you haven't put an argument across yet.

I never said "with people", I said with you.  I will make it easier for us both.

Just now, BlueGaz said:

I never said "with people", I said with you.  I will make it easier for us both.

or you could have put your point across 10 posts ago, this would have saved you time.

I'm done now, you've made yourself look a little silly here.

I think the budget is a small factor when comparing Motherwell to St Johnstone or Aberdeen to Kilmarnock where the difference isn't enough to take them to another level.

When you're talking a factor of 5-10 times the budget, Rangers are operating on a different level to all the others bar Celtic (who are on another level again).

Good management, and a bit of luck with injuries, suspensions etc. can certainly help bridge the gap, but that suggests that either Derek McInness is Jose Mourinho or Mark Warburton is Ian Barraclough....

1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

I think the budget is a small factor when comparing Motherwell to St Johnstone or Aberdeen to Kilmarnock where the difference isn't enough to take them to another level.

When you're talking a factor of 5-10 times the budget, Rangers are operating on a different level to all the others bar Celtic (who are on another level again).

Good management, and a bit of luck with injuries, suspensions etc. can certainly help bridge the gap, but that suggests that either Derek McInness is Jose Mourinho or Mark Warburton is Ian Barraclough....

Correct. The argument that budget isn't the deciding factor in where the vast majority of sides finish is ludicrous. The kind of pish that comes from the numpties who think Aberdeen should've won the league last year. 

8 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

Billy Beane would disagree with that.

Possibly. I'm pretty sure he would concede that greater financial resources are a massive advantage. That was why he and the A's had to come up with a smarter way to do things. 

It's sport, obviously simply having the most money doesn't make you the best. It does however give you a massive advantage. 

24 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Possibly. I'm pretty sure he would concede that greater financial resources are a massive advantage. That was why he and the A's had to come up with a smarter way to do things. 

It's sport, obviously simply having the most money doesn't make you the best. It does however give you a massive advantage. 

There's research that suggests salary dispersion within a team is more of a factor than a team's total wage bill and that big money signings don't always have a positive impact on team performance because signing like these can be made for reason other than improving the team e.g. merchandise sales, attendances, owner's vanity.

20 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

There's research that suggests salary dispersion within a team is more of a factor than a team's total wage bill and that big money signings don't always have a positive impact on team performance because signing like these can be made for reason other than improving the team e.g. merchandise sales, attendances, owner's vanity.

And, i'd surmise, a large wage disparity within a team is more likely to lead to division and less likely to foster a spirit of team spirit and togetherness. 

10 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The only advantage we have over Aberdeen is a settled team but the money you have should give you the ability to attract a better standard of player than we can. I'm not saying having a bigger budget automatically gives you 2nd place but to say its nonsense is stupid at best. 

Rangers efforts in League 2 prove you wrong. We had a massive budget but couldn't attract the better players. It depends on the level of competition you are in, how the club is perceived and on lots of other factors. Money is just one of these factors, albeit an important one. 

The fact that you don't understand this doesn't make my point stupid. 

8 hours ago, Parklife said:

And, i'd surmise, a large wage disparity within a team is more likely to lead to division and less likely to foster a spirit of team spirit and togetherness. 

Totally agree. Rangers under McCoist demonstrated this amongst other debilitating traits. 

Like a piss poor manager. 

28 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Rangers efforts in League 2 prove you wrong. We had a massive budget but couldn't attract the better players. It depends on the level of competition you are in, how the club is perceived and on lots of other factors. Money is just one of these factors, albeit an important one. 

The fact that you don't understand this doesn't make my point stupid. 

Are you for real? Rangers attracted SPL players to play in league 2. 

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Are you for real? Rangers attracted SPL players to play in league 2. 

To be fair, they attracted pretty ordinary SPL players who in the majority of cases appeared to only go for the money. Which in most cases was way more than they were worth, and more than they could get elsewhere.

Just now, sbcmfc said:

To be fair, they attracted pretty ordinary SPL players who in the majority of cases appeared to only go for the money. Which in most cases was way more than they were worth, and more than they could get elsewhere.

I'm fully aware of that but hey were better than league part timers. 

12 hours ago, Parklife said:

No one examines the facts more than me, Wolfy, old boy. Hence my deep scepticism about Mr King since the outset. However, i encourage you to put me on ignore, if you don't like the content of my posts. 

No, thank you. What's the point in indulging in debate on a message board and hiding the content? I'd be as well not bothering to visit the site at all.

I didn't think I was slagging you in my last post too. The opposite in fact!

Presumably it's my turn to be in your eyeline this week. I'm sure it'll pass.

Edited by thewolf_1980