Midweek fitba - Page 7 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Midweek fitba

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I don't think the McLaughlin thing was down purely to that one incident RB.  From memory it was a culmination of several instances where he was deemed to be reporting on the club in a deliberately negative manner.

any more evidence of this deliberate negative reporting? 

9 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I have no problem with McLaughlin doing what he did. I don't agree with Rangers actions but they have to be allowed a right of reply. 

If they think he's a back stabber then they will feel justified in what they've done. 

McLaughlin would have also been better served if he had bothered to mention the game that day at all.

I think he also had previous for pissing of the club, so he really shouldn't have been surprised. 

But plenty of journos have been banned in the past, Hugh Keevins was banned from parkhead. Actually banned from entering the stadium. Nobody took the huff and chucked the toys out their pram then. Only when it's Rangers? 

Absolutely agree RB if he's been back stabbing then fine. The problem is that in actual fact he was drawing attention to something which most sane and sensible people like me and you find fairly abhorrent. So to ban him for that doesn't sit well with most.

In fact a ban for reporting, which is his job, would have surprised him I think.

Edited by ShedTA

Rangers have been under a lot of pressure from sections of their support who feel they (and their "loyalist, unionist Protestant traditions and way of life") are under attack and the club were not defending them.

This perhaps explains why they felt the need to take action against McLaughlin, it also explains them all but condoning the actions of their fans at the Scottish cup final.

15 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Rangers have been under a lot of pressure from sections of their support who feel they (and their "loyalist, unionist Protestant traditions and way of life") are under attack and the club were not defending them.

This perhaps explains why they felt the need to take action against McLaughlin, it also explains them all but condoning the actions of their fans at the Scottish cup final.

Plus, he's got a bit of a feniany name so, you know....

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I don't think the McLaughlin thing was down purely to that one incident RB.  From memory it was a culmination of several instances where he was deemed to be reporting on the club in a deliberately negative manner.

I did mention this in one of my previous posts. He's not been popular at Ibrox for a while now. 

From the stuff I read he was being a dick but that still doesn't require the actions taken. 

Admittedly I'm not sure what would have been better done too address the issues other than a chat? 

Rangers - "aye, is at the BBC? can you stop sending Chris McGlaughlin to our games?

BBC - "why, whats happened?

Rangers - "he's just being a dick"

BBC "erm.........wtf?"

Ranger - "he's really being a dick though"

BBC - :lol:

11 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I have no problem with McLaughlin doing what he did. I don't agree with Rangers actions but they have to be allowed a right of reply. 

If they think he's a back stabber then they will feel justified in what they've done. 

McLaughlin would have also been better served if he had bothered to mention the game that day at all.

I think he also had previous for pissing of the club, so he really shouldn't have been surprised. 

But plenty of journos have been banned in the past, Hugh Keevins was banned from parkhead. Actually banned from entering the stadium. Nobody took the huff and chucked the toys out their pram then. Only when it's Rangers? 

Keevins was banned for telling lies about the club not acknowleding Sean fallon's 90th birthday.

Rangers have banned this gentleman for telling the truth about sectarian singing. Bit of a difference, no?

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I did mention this in one of my previous posts. He's not been popular at Ibrox for a while now. 

From the stuff I read he was being a dick but that still doesn't require the actions taken. 

Admittedly I'm not sure what would have been better done too address the issues other than a chat? 

He's not popular? Your club seems to fall out with a lot of journos for just reporting what they see/ believe. Is that not a bigger problem? 

6 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

Keevins was banned for telling lies about the club not acknowleding Sean fallon's 90th birthday.

Rangers have banned this gentleman for telling the truth about sectarian singing. Bit of a difference, no?

This is it. It may not have been comfortable but it was the truth. He was doing his job. Same happened with Spence. It's not on.

2 hours ago, ShedTA said:

This is it. It may not have been comfortable but it was the truth. He was doing his job. Same happened with Spence. It's not on.

Got to give Rangers credit though, they've been excellent in fostering this mentality within a large section of their fanbase that folk are out to get them. They've done so, safe in the knowledge that by doing so, their fans won't look so hard at the actual problems. Like the massive losses they're incurring or the fact that Dave King hasn't spent the £30 million he promised to.

Mind when Craig Whyte was exposed by the BBC and Rangers and large numbers of their fans blamed the BBC? :lol: 

59 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Got to give Rangers credit though, they've been excellent in fostering this mentality within a large section of their fanbase that folk are out to get them. They've done so, safe in the knowledge that by doing so, their fans won't look so hard at the actual problems. Like the massive losses they're incurring or the fact that Dave King hasn't spent the £30 million he promised to.

Mind when Craig Whyte was exposed by the BBC and Rangers and large numbers of their fans blamed the BBC? :lol: 

I know. And now large numbers of the "normal" fans seem to believe this sh*t too!

58 minutes ago, Parklife said:

If you think the actual fans (not the empty vessels that phone radio shows) aren't aware of King's actions or aren't asking about them because Rangers have the huff with a reporter then you are as naive as the roasters who phone Clyde 1.

Just now, ShedTA said:

I know. And now large numbers of the "normal" fans seem to believe this sh*t too!

No we don't but you wouldn't get a laugh out of that. 

Ive said plenty of times the huff with McLaughlin is daft and childish but I also think the Beeb are just as bad with their boycott. 

As for the stuff about other clubs banning reporters being OK, it shows the double standards of this board up quite nicely.  ? 

4 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Ive said plenty of times the huff with McLaughlin is daft and childish but I also think the Beeb are just as bad with their boycott. 

It's not a boycott, they are just not reporting from inside the stadium.

:P

Chick Young still has his season ticket.