The 45 - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Early data analysis suggests:

Tims & Atheists. Good Guys

Prods, Jews and Muslims. Onanists.

'Other' religion could cover a lot of bases. My first thought wasn't Jews and Muslims but Church of England (which fits with the rUK stats). Edited by Armchair Bob

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Other' religion could cover a lot of bases. My first thought wasn't Jews and Muslims but Church of England (which fits with the rUK stats).

Good point bob.

edit: I always expected the scottish-asian vote to be Yes. So that would explain it.

Edited by thplinth

I wonder what the source of these figures are, how many people were interviewed? Could be a good few percentage points off reality if say, less than 100 'other religion's were polled.

Even the lowest yes group - the good old rUK - is quite healthy if you think about it - a 29% vote for independence is not a bad shout from people prepared to cut themselves off from their homeland, and side with saltire waving rallies singing about sending Edward home; and not bad given historic general apathy for independence, where 29% would be not untypical (across all voters in Scotland).

Good point and quite amazing when you think of it. Nearly 30% of the English voted not to be ruled by England.

If you live in this country no matter what nationality you are you get a vote and if you don't live here then you don't.I can't see any other fairer way it could have been done.Most expats I know would have voted no anyway.

Everyone's UK passport has a place of birth. Either that place of birth is in Scotland or it isn't.

Is that system any less fair than who currently happens to live there? Including huge numbers of people who are obviously transient and are in no way imaginable Scottish?

I wonder what the source of these figures are, how many people were interviewed? Could be a good few percentage points off reality if say, less than 100 'other religion's were polled.

Good point and quite amazing when you think of it. Nearly 30% of the English voted not to be ruled by England.

I think the smallest division of whole numbers which gives 61% is 11 divided by 18 so the sample size could be as small as 18 people? I can never take these things seriously when they don't tell you up front what the sample sizes are. It kinda like they are hoping that nobody will ask.

BzSBeUkIEAAbeAj.jpg

I blame the Protestants... :-))

Seriously though, that's very interesting - I didn't realise that the religion gap would be so large...

The CoS vote split is in the realms of that of the over 60s, which is pretty much the demographic you see in a kirk congregation these days...

Unless there are about five times as many females than males in Scotland, can't see how this makes sense.

Refer to "Fraudulent Count" thread ;)

But aye, if women were 52% of the electorate that would make the actual result circa 51.5% No versus 48.5% Yes....

Edited by Toepoke

Everyone's UK passport has a place of birth. Either that place of birth is in Scotland or it isn't.

Is that system any less fair than who currently happens to live there? Including huge numbers of people who are obviously transient and are in no way imaginable Scottish?

Yes its a lot less fair, if you live there and pay your taxes etc you should get a say. If you dont you shouldnt. Why should Scotty get a vote that influences the lives of people when he doesnt even live there. And why should only the scottish get a vote presumably the Scots who live in England think they should get a vote in areas that affect their lives, council elections etc or should that be limited to English by birth only ?

Here's a thought brains...why not let both vote, current residents and born Scots.

If you don't live in Scotland, then you shouldn't get a vote.

We all make choices in our life. I have chosen to live in Scotland and try and make it a better place. Why has someone who's up and left get an equal say in what goes on here?

Too easy for me to say that things will be better with independence and vote yes living abroad. It's not me who suffers any consequences.

Same with someone living abroad voting no, the thought of someone living the good life voting no because of an emotional attachment to the UK and condemning Scotland too more austerity isn't easy to stomach. Mind you plenty in Scotland did this :(

Guest flumax

Strongly oppose scots living elsewhere voting. They get their democratic say about how their lives are influenced in their place of residence.

Living in the northeast I do not expect a say in a bye election or local council election in Glasgow. Similarly I would not like to see someone in the Canada have a say how I live in Scotland.

Howevery, if we move to a similar democratic process as places like Italy (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_constituency) or make those living overseas file tax returns like USA citizens (http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad), then you have a buy in to "home" and enfranchisement should be possible.

If you leave the Uk you can still vote in general elections if you register within 15 years of leaving. So why should it be any different for Scots working and living outside Scotland? Why were they denied a vote on something so profoundly important to Scotland's long term future.

A Czech or a Pole living in Scotland for a few years to earn money with no connection to Scotland could vote on Scotland's long term future yet a natural Scot, born and bred, who left for work could not vote and that sounds fairer?

No it is not. Both systems are flawed when relied on exclusively but combined would have been reasonable.

Edited by thplinth

Guest flumax

I appreciate your GE argument, but you can not discriminate between British citizens especially when you need no id to vote in gb (I would personally like to see the NI model expanded to the rest of uk). Either all British citizens worldwide can vote in Scottish matters or you bound it to residence of the region.

Imo people who live here see and put up with the poverty , drug culture, austerity cuts , lack of work,

see the billions spent down south on pet projects and daily they feel disenfranchised and powerless to change the system ,

people voting from abroad or from ivory towers don't see or equate with the indy plan and how it would better us in

the future. Want a vote in scotland ? Stay here!