The 45 - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I am fecking talking about!

Scots were tricked into voting ‘No’ – Salmond

London politicians gulled Scottish voters out of independence by making a false “vow” to grant Glasgow extra powers, First Minister Alex Salmond has said. He also raised the prospect of another referendum, saying the break-up is inevitable.

Alex Salmond, leader of the 'Yes' campaign and the outgoing head of the Scottish National Party (SNP), told the BBC's Sunday Politics program that the UK government won last Thursday's referendum vote by 55-45 percent by deceiving the people ahead the referendum and promising to rapidly expand Scottish autonomy.

"I think the vow was something cooked up in desperation for the last few days of the campaign and I think everyone in Scotland now realizes that," said Salmond.

"It is the people who were persuaded to vote no, who were misled, who were gulled, who were tricked effectively," he added. "They are the ones who are really angry."

http://rt.com/uk/189476-scots-tricked-vote-salmond/

Edited by thplinth

80,000+ complaints made already (me included). Get stuck in.

Complaints

This page covers how to make a complaint, our approach to dealing with complaints and provides more information on our complaints procedure.

If you want to contact us with a query or complaint about the Scottish Referendum, please email

infoscotland2@electoralcommission.org.uk.

Emailing it anywhere else will cause delay.

The first thing I'd say is that we should recognise that the referendum was lost and lost badly. People who voted No will react badly if the SNP and Yes voters simply refuse to recognise this and continue to talk as if the vote never happened, and it is from within their ranks that those we need to take our share of the vote up from 45% to over 50%. Put simply, a lot of people are tired of this at the moment, it will alienate them if anyone tries to keep it at the centre of everything at a time when the NHS and the welfare state is in danger of being dismantled. The SNP, which I joined yesterday, obviously will continue to campaign for independence, and so it should but its' main focus in the short term needs to be a smooth transition to a new leader and then to continue to govern as effectively as possible at Holyroood, so that they can secure a majority at the next elections to the Scottish parliament. The austerity measures on the way from Westminster after next years' elections (Tory or Labour government) and the subsequent attack on Barnett need to be fought and dealt with.

My strong belief is that the unionist parties have put in a place a constitutional crisis with the Brown plan, that will, with the issue of the EU and UKIP, create a shambles at UK level. I simply can't see any way that Cameron can deliver any sort of meaningful powers to Scotland without a 're-balancing' of the constitution, which means dealing with the English/ WLQ at the same time. And, bluntly, he simply isn't capable of doing that. Labour can't agree to English votes for English laws. The Tories are terrified of UKIP and are slavering at the prospect of doing away with Barnett. As I said in an earlier thread, devolution in the UK is fundamentally unworkable, it is a state that is slowly falling apart anyway. I never thought this vote was winnable; I'm more confident today than ever that within the next 15-20 years Scotland (and England) will be independent.

"They are going to break up the Union for us. And we’ll help, of course. We’ll join political parties. We’ll use the formidable machine of participatory democracy we’ve invented to focus on the new target of May 2015. But the arena we’ll be working in is still being defined before us and not by us. Deliciously. For a week or two, counter to our activist instincts, brothers and sisters, I suggest we pull up a chair and crack open the popcorn.

This is going to be good."

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2014/09/22/this-is-going-to-be-good/

I agree we have to accept the outcome and move on and be ready for it the next time. For some there were too many unanswered questions and doubts. ie currency and pensions and threats from employers ,As I believe many wanted to vote yes but were not willing take the risk. Can you imagine the humiliation if we had another vote soon and lost. Westminster will dig its own grave and the young folk of this country will be more self confident than some of the selfish old gits who still think they are living in 1945.

found out at weekend my old uncle voted Yes

i knew he served in ww2 , but was'nt until recently that got a clearer picture , as he gave his campaign medals to my son , and told us some stuff for sons school presentation

he left home in Edinburgh as a young loon (beaten by his Dad) ; signed up with the Gordons - in Western Europe, then Egypt and Palestine after VE day

settled in Aberdeen , worked the trams and buses rest of his working life - more of a man than i'll ever be

he can barely walk to the end of the street without holding onto fences , but still made the effort to get out to put the X on he fought for

who are you to pass judgement

found out at weekend my old uncle voted Yes

i knew he served in ww2 , but was'nt until recently that got a clearer picture , as he gave his campaign medals to my son , and told us some stuff for sons school presentation

he left home in Edinburgh as a young loon (beaten by his Dad) ; signed up with the Gordons - in Western Europe, then Egypt and Palestine after VE day

settled in Aberdeen , worked the trams and buses rest of his working life - more of a man than i'll ever be

he can barely walk to the end of the street without holding onto fences , but still made the effort to get out to put the X on he fought for

who are you to pass judgement

Agreed - my Dad is 83 and he could not wait for me coming home to take him down to Vote Yes

Even told the No canvasser that he would move to America if it was a No vote

(obviously he wouldnt and it was for effect which was magic)

Are you selling those? I didn't like the badges in case people thought I was saying it was my birthday badge and I would have to punch someone who thought I was 45 but I like these.

Yes, and.........there's no way you look 45. :D

Are you selling those? I didn't like the badges in case people thought I was saying it was my birthday badge and I would have to punch someone who thought I was 45 but I like these.

You mean you haven't already ordered 3 boxes following your recent online shopping spree ?

:D

I don't see how parading you where one of the 45 % gets us any closer to the end result that 45% of us wanted. Time to move on from the referendum. Take the lessons learnt and we can do better next time. No time for elitism from the losing side.

I don't see how parading you where one of the 45 % gets us any closer to the end result that 45% of us wanted. Time to move on from the referendum. Take the lessons learnt and we can do better next time. No time for elitism from the losing side.

I think it is time for people to let others move forward the way they want to.