Match thread - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Match thread

dandydunn

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rewatched the game.

Granted their keeper played very well, but other than the Berra header I think any decent international keeper would be expected to save the other chances.

In saying that, hitting the bar twice and creating 4 good chances is very unlike us against this type of opposition. 

Tierney is wasted at right back but that’s a discussion for next month if we make the play offs.

Struggle to see what Phillips brings, other than height in a Lee McCulloch 08 campaign type of way. 

Grifiths is irreplaceable at the moment. Has that swagger that we’ve lacked up front since Faddy. 

Martin did really well. Still don’t rate him but can’t deny his impact for us. 

Wasn’t happy with Anya coming on but decent cross for the goal. Can’t argue with his impact. 

18 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Rewatched the game.

Granted their keeper played very well, but other than the Berra header I think any decent international keeper would be expected to save the other chances.

In saying that, hitting the bar twice and creating 4 good chances is very unlike us against this type of opposition. 

Tierney is wasted at right back but that’s a discussion for next month if we make the play offs.

Struggle to see what Phillips brings, other than height in a Lee McCulloch 08 campaign type of way. 

Grifiths is irreplaceable at the moment. Has that swagger that we’ve lacked up front since Faddy. 

Martin did really well. Still don’t rate him but can’t deny his impact for us. 

Wasn’t happy with Anya coming on but decent cross for the goal. Can’t argue with his impact. 

Agree with this, especially about their keeper. Only one world class save and the others were all what I'd expect. 

Hitting the bar twice was murder though but at least we kept going rather than timidly bottle it, so there has been definite improvement in the teams attitude particularly. 

We got the win and that is all that ultimately matters but there were a few things that disappointed me. 

The tactic of getting the ball out wide and getting crosses in wasn't great. They had some good centre-backs that were untroubled by this. Ironic that it was a poor cross that eventually beat them. 

Almost all our best chances came through the middle. Our 2 forwards hit the bar with shots from outside the box. If we actually had a midfielder capable of driving at them, I think they would have had more success. We looked better when Martin came on and part of that was because Griffiths came looking for the ball in areas you want your attacking midfielders to have the ball. 

I'm not complaining too much because we did win but I thought out tactics could have been better and I'm not sure we'd have won against 11 men. 

Until the sending off I thought we looked comfortable and it was going well. Afterwards, I thought our general play was nervy and our ball retention was as poor as ever at times. The Slovaks, especially towards the end of the first half, were keeping the ball and knocking it around with confidence. I think half time came at the right time for us.

Over the piece though we created the better chances and could have had 2 or 3 if one of the earlier efforts went in. Delighted to still be in it with a game to go, and credit to the players/strachan for never giving up. So many last minute goals says quite a lot about our character, even if we are pretty ordinary at times. 

20 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Can't believe the eejits on twitter saying Mak should not have been sent off "because he got straight back up and didn't stay down" :wacko:

I see the Slovak manager is complaining about luggage being delayed at the airport and insinuating a conspiracy FFS

And going on his comments to the papers, Martin Škrtel is one very sore loser. :lol:

Saw his press conference :wtf: 

Sour grapes or what!...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/41525123

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

We got the win and that is all that ultimately matters but there were a few things that disappointed me. 

The tactic of getting the ball out wide and getting crosses in wasn't great. They had some good centre-backs that were untroubled by this. Ironic that it was a poor cross that eventually beat them. 

Almost all our best chances came through the middle. Our 2 forwards hit the bar with shots from outside the box. If we actually had a midfielder capable of driving at them, I think they would have had more success. We looked better when Martin came on and part of that was because Griffiths came looking for the ball in areas you want your attacking midfielders to have the ball. 

I'm not complaining too much because we did win but I thought out tactics could have been better and I'm not sure we'd have won against 11 men. 

Do you really think that was a "poor cross"?

I think we should be firing balls into that area as much as we can. 

3 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Poor in that it never went near our man. Great that it was turned in by their man. 

I wouldn’t say it was a poor cross. 

It might not have been fantastic but it was good enough to force a mistake from a very good defender. 

5 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Poor in that it never went near our man. Great that it was turned in by their man. 

If it was Ross Wallace the would have blootered it into the top corner with outside of his foot

8 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

You're bang on there IMO.

I'm delighted we won but I don't think we will win away from home tomorrow with the same lack of energy and pace in the middle of the park.