Barton - Page 15 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The facts are that from the moment a bawbag like Barton was linked with Rangers any number of people, here and elsewhere, predicted it would be a disaster. Not our media obviously who were all for it, but (to be fair) even some Rangers fans expressed real doubts at that time. A club and a player fully deserving of each other many might think, but that it was in reality a dumb move for both was obvious for anyone with eyes to see and any sort of an understanding for the game. And those of us who predicted back in May that it would end badly were right. So the fact is that, for many (myself included), there is no hindsight involved. Or mysticism for that matter. If I could be arsed I'd have a quick glance through the Transfers & Delusional Pish thread to find my post in which I said it was a bad idea, but I just can't. 

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barton went to rangers on the back of a great season in the championship did he not? Player of the year or some pish... The fact that rangers failed to exploit his ability after signing him is a curious one. He could have been an excellent signing but maybe his heart was never really in it. Strange one.

24 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

The facts are that from the moment a bawbag like Barton was linked with Rangers any number of people, here and elsewhere, predicted it would be a disaster. Not our media obviously who were all for it, but (to be fair) even some Rangers fans expressed real doubts at that time. A club and a player fully deserving of each other many might think, but that it was in reality a dumb move for both was obvious for anyone with eyes to see and any sort of an understanding for the game. And those of us who predicted back in May that it would end badly were right. So the fact is that, for many (myself included), there is no hindsight involved. Or mysticism for that matter. If I could be arsed I'd have a quick glance through the Transfers & Delusional Pish thread to find my post in which I said it was a bad idea, but I just can't. 

Congratulations you were right. 

However I'm pretty sure that if I could be arsed looking id find plenty times you were wrong about players. The truth is you did not know what was going to happen, you just assumed the worst. 

The Barton signing was a gamble as he does have a history of bawbaggery and I wouldn't have picked him. However his recent history shows a different attitude and him playing the best football of his career. These factors were obviously thought to outweigh his previous and plenty of folk on here thought it was a potentially good signing. 

Sadly,  either his attitude or the managers ability to control him were lacking and it went badly. 

8 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Congratulations you were right. 

However I'm pretty sure that if I could be arsed looking id find plenty times you were wrong about players. The truth is you did not know what was going to happen, you just assumed the worst. 

The Barton signing was a gamble as he does have a history of bawbaggery and I wouldn't have picked him. However his recent history shows a different attitude and him playing the best football of his career. These factors were obviously thought to outweigh his previous and plenty of folk on here thought it was a potentially good signing. 

Sadly,  either his attitude or the managers ability to control him were lacking and it went badly. 

Thanks, I was. As right as you were wrong to refer to hindsight.The 'you just assumed the worst' comment is equally wrong, but you're on a roll I suppose. It's beyond question that I get it wrong plenty of times (and Thplinth's post reminds me I was totally wrong on another prediction this year, namely my confident belief that the Trump campaign would crumble during the US election campaign), but Barton and Rangers being a clusterfvck in the making wasn't a big ask.

Edited by Pool Q

50 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

Thanks, I was. As right as you were wrong to refer to hindsight.The 'you just assumed the worst' comment is equally wrong, but you're on a roll I suppose. It's beyond question that I get it wrong plenty of times (and Thplinth's post reminds me I was totally wrong on another prediction this year, namely my confident belief that the Trump campaign would crumble during the US election campaign), but Barton and Rangers being a clusterfvck in the making wasn't a big ask.

It was the safe bet probably. 

And what was your opinion on Clint Hill,  for as Fermer says,  plenty on here were miscalling him and he's now settled in very nicely. 

5 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

It was the safe bet probably. 

And what was your opinion on Clint Hill,  for as Fermer says,  plenty on here were miscalling him and he's now settled in very nicely. 

It was the safe bet because it was clearly a bad signing. Too many didn't recognise that, not my fault.

I didn't see any relevance in Fermer's post (there isn't any), assumed he was on the Glenlivet again. I don't think I have made any comment on Hill, happy to be corrected on that, but I'll certainly not be checking. As it happens I've said umpteen times that Warburton is a good manager and that he will do a decent job at Rangers. It was in that context that the stupidity of the Barton signing surprised me. It is the sort of judgement call managers are well paid to get right; he got it badly wrong. But overall he still seems to me to be doing a reasonable job.

17 hours ago, Pool Q said:

It was the safe bet because it was clearly a bad signing. Too many didn't recognise that, not my fault.

I was one of those that wasn't to keen on him in the first place, but he was in the championship team of the year and Burnleys player of the year, so I can see the logic in it. Didn't work out, so you move on.

Probably now going to get banned for the next couple of months for gambling in any event.

I would be blaming Rangers before I would be blaming Barton. You knew exactly what you were buying so why then not make the most out of it. Oh he smacked some khunt in training who squared up to him. I am shocked.  Seems a lot of sour grapes when it comes to Barton. I think many of the huns sense the massive missed opportunity so want to rubbish his signing. 

16 hours ago, thplinth said:

I would be blaming Rangers before I would be blaming Barton. You knew exactly what you were buying so why then not make the most out of it. Oh he smacked some khunt in training who squared up to him. I am shocked.  Seems a lot of sour grapes when it comes to Barton. I think many of the huns sense the massive missed opportunity so want to rubbish his signing. 

I agree up to a point. You're ignoring Bartons more recent good performances and behaviour at Burnley as well as the fact he had been recommended too. 

Part of the sour grapes comes from Bartons billy big baws attitude with absolutely nothing provided to back it up. He didn't bother with a pre-season and from his performances didn't work hard enough to catch back up when he played poorly. 

Rangers didn't cover themselves in glory over it but Barton also made a right royal arse of himself. 

Edited by RenfrewBlue

It hardly requires hindsight to see that a guy who's been a bawbag his whole career and been bombed out of most of the clubs he's played for, would turn out to be a horrific signing. 

Rangers wanted to make a statement signing and paying a guy with a history of violence and bawbaggery £20k a week was always going to be a disaster. 

Some Rangers fans may have convinced themselves it'd work out (mainly because they've been fooled in to thinking that playing well in the English Championship is a big achievement...) but I don't know anyone who thought this signing would work. It was always going to be a disaster. 

On 29/12/2016 at 10:54 AM, Parklife said:

It hardly requires hindsight to see that a guy who's been a bawbag his whole career and been bombed out of most of the clubs he's played for, would turn out to be a horrific signing. 

Rangers wanted to make a statement signing and paying a guy with a history of violence and bawbaggery £20k a week was always going to be a disaster. 

Some Rangers fans may have convinced themselves it'd work out (mainly because they've been fooled in to thinking that playing well in the English Championship is a big achievement...) but I don't know anyone who thought this signing would work. It was always going to be a disaster. 

You do know that most of the better players in Scotland (outside of the Celtic team)  would struggle to get a game in the Championship? 

They're much more likely to be in a League 1 side. So performing well in the Championship is definitely a recommendation for success in the SPFL. 

On 29 December 2016 at 10:54 AM, Parklife said:

Probably explains why Aberdeen are doing so poorly considering the number of players from the Championship, League 1 and League 2 in their squad.

Guest BlueGaz
1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

Badly?

Do expand please. 

Rangers are poor, and you are behind us, so that could mean that you are poor too.

53 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Rangers are poor, and you are behind us, so that could mean that you are poor too.

I'm happy with recent performances these last few weeks as I'm sure many fans are,a blip in form doesn't make a poor team imo. 

Guest BlueGaz
12 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

I'm happy with recent performances these last few weeks as I'm sure many fans are,a blip in form doesn't make a poor team imo. 

Thats true.  Haven't seen much of you guys this year.  But we have been very poor, all added up, I would say about 5 games worth of good performances this season so far.  Hence my surprise at being 2nd.  

1 hour ago, BlueGaz said:

Thats true.  Haven't seen much of you guys this year.  But we have been very poor, all added up, I would say about 5 games worth of good performances this season so far.  Hence my surprise at being 2nd.  

Having played a game more.......poorer goal difference also. 

53 minutes ago, kumnio said:

I might be wrong, but didnt the English Championships player of the year last season play here and look average at best, and thats being very complimentary.

Who? Barton? 

He wasn't the Championship player of the year.