Northern Ireland v Poland - Page 3 - Euro 2016 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Northern Ireland v Poland

EddardStark

16 minutes ago, Parklife said:

You're stating your opinion as a fact and ignoring the evidence that a weaker side than us did win in Athens. 

Sorry - i'll add IMO next time if it's really neccesary

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to agree that we probably wouldn't go to places like Athens and get a win. We'd be delighted with a draw, even if it was snatched from the jaws of victory.

We lack something, belief, concentration, bottle, luck? (As well as quality!)

5 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I tend to agree that we probably wouldn't go to places like Athens and get a win. We'd be delighted with a draw, even if it was snatched from the jaws of victory.

We lack something, belief, concentration, bottle, luck? (As well as quality!)

:ok:

A world class player is too much to ask for.

Unless we take our national game seriously and put in the time and investment like Iceland have that will never happen

A couple of players that are above average that can really impact on games would be a start  

With ref to my earlier comment of how teams would compare from our group and NI group,  Hungary won last night but only came into the game once the Austrians were down to 10 men, so its now 2 wins and a draw to one win !!!.

Regarding Iceland, they worked hard and got a draw against a typical Portuguese side that promises to do so much but never turn up , Iceland spent the majority of the second half camped in their own half and just pumped the ball forward, I was expecting more from them after all the hype but good luck to them.  As for world class players, I thought there was supposed to be one on display last night but as per usual with Ronaldo if he has his bottom lip dragging along the ground he is just a luxury that doe's not deliver the goods.

2 hours ago, wellyman said:

Hungary won last night but only came into the game once the Austrians were down to 10 men

They were already 1 up when the Austrian boy was sent off (ridiculous decision btw) and had created quite a few chances.

I was taken by surprise by the Hungarian performance, this could be a really cut throat group....

Sitting in hotel in Lyon and hoping we put a better showing than what we did in Nice. Far too defensive and MON has to realise this is competition football now. Playing McNair and Baird in the same Would was a mistake and went against everything we did in qualifying. He mainly played one of McGinn,Dallas or Ward for their pace to help Lafferty up front or as an out ball so was a of shock to see the side last sunday. We are strong at the back but we reverted back firing long balls over the head of Lafferty which just gave the ball back to the poles.

On a side note it's great to see fans of every country mixing freely in Lyon and enjoying each other's company. Quite a few guys walking about wearing Scottish shirts as well.

2 minutes ago, dave said:

Sitting in hotel in Lyon and hoping we put a better showing than what we did in Nice. Far too defensive and MON has to realise this is competition football now. Playing McNair and Baird in the same Would was a mistake and went against everything we did in qualifying. He mainly played one of McGinn,Dallas or Ward for their pace to help Lafferty up front or as an out ball so was a of shock to see the side last sunday. We are strong at the back but we reverted back firing long balls over the head of Lafferty which just gave the ball back to the poles.

On a side note it's great to see fans of every country mixing freely in Lyon and enjoying each other's company. Quite a few guys walking about wearing Scottish shirts as well.

I hope you told them off if they were also wearing kilts and flip flops.

13 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Brilliant. What are the chances now that Ireland, NI, Wales & England all make to the next round? Rossy's head might explode. ;)

Really highlights our very poor record. Not only of qualifying recently but our performances when we have got there.

Great result for NI but they still have a lot to do to get through. Probably need a point off Germany, but not many folk thought they would beat Spain 34 years ago. So, you never know. Ukraine probably need to beat Poland by about 3 or 4 goals to have any chance now.

Well done Northern Ireland.

Absolutely brilliant performance and well deserved winners. Defended well, attacked, and thoroughly deserved winners. Credit to O'Neill who was brave enough to make a lot of changes from the first game - would oor Gord be so bold? Michael O'Neill will surely be in demand for a big club side with the wonders he's done with his nation.

Still, just wish they would change that anthem. There are plenty of lovely songs about Northern Ireland they can choose from.

19 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Great result for NI but they still have a lot to do to get through. Probably need a point off Germany, but not many folk thought they would beat Spain 34 years ago. So, you never know. Ukraine probably need to beat Poland by about 3 or 4 goals to have any chance now.

I reckon if Germany win tonight then a victory for Ukraine over Poland by less than 3 goals will guarantee Northern Ireland 2nd place in the group no matter how they do v Germany...