Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18 - Page 85 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18

1 hour ago, Marky said:

Ha ha. Glory hunter and St. Murn fan just don't belong in the same conversation. 

So has young McAllister signed for Derby then? 

He played for the same youth team (year younger) as my son and I had him in my team a few times when he aged up the years. 

He was always the best player at the club and obviously had talent. Hope he does well down there. Seems McLaren is quite happy to sign Scottish players and they're improving under him too. 

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

So has young McAllister signed for Derby then? 

He played for the same youth team (year younger) as my son and I had him in my team a few times when he aged up the years. 

He was always the best player at the club and obviously had talent. Hope he does well down there. Seems McLaren is quite happy to sign Scottish players and they're improving under him too. 

Aye he's away RB. Shame. Was hoping we could hang on to him at least for the rest of the season. Or that Derby would loan him back to us.

Wish him all the best, but just hope he's not one of these young lads that moves too soon and ends up disappearing. I guess if he's good enough he'll make it. 

18 minutes ago, Brassrubber said:

Played his last game in Cyprus today and scored twice he seems to be on his way his club have signed his replacement and agreed fee with Hearts

Well seeing as he won't be playing against us I hope he is as good for you as he was for us.

14 hours ago, Rossy said:

Regardless, given their 'size', they're the two most under-achieving clubs in Scottish football. 

Two bald men arguing over a comb. 

I would say Aberdeen have underachieved just as much as the Edinburgh clubs.  One club city, oil rich, really should be able to challenge the old firm given their catchment area. 

1 hour ago, Marky said:

Aye he's away RB. Shame. Was hoping we could hang on to him at least for the rest of the season. Or that Derby would loan him back to us.

Wish him all the best, but just hope he's not one of these young lads that moves too soon and ends up disappearing. I guess if he's good enough he'll make it. 

Yes,  I had hoped he'd get loaned back this season too. His Dad's a sensible guy who also played at Junior level so knows how the game works. 

He should be able to keep the lad on the straight and narrow. He's always been a hard working boy too. 

3 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Any specific sources?

(Better be for 7 digits if true.)

I suspect it's just bedwetters overreacting because he gave his shirt in to the crowd on Friday. 

Greek international midfielder Alexandros Tziolis will join Hearts before the transfer window closes, the Evening News can reveal. The 31-year-old is a free agent after agreeing to terminate his contract at PAOK Salonika. He is due to sign a short-term deal at Tynecastle and become head coach Ian Cathro's seventh signing this month. Tziolis is a current member of Greece's international squad and holds 62 caps. He represented his country at the 2010 World Cup and 2008 European Championship and was also part of their 2014 World Cup squad. He carries an impressive CV having played for clubs including Panathinaikos, Werder Bremen, Racing Santander, Monaco and PAOK. His signing represents a major coup for Cathro as he reinforces the Hearts squad for the second half of the season. He recruited his sixth new player yesterday with the arrival of Moha El Ouriachi Choulay on loan from Stoke City. The 21-year-old Moroccan winger agreed a move to Tynecastle until the summer. He is a Morocco Under-23 internationalist and joins Aaron Hughes, Lennard Sowah, Malaury Martin, Andraz Struna and Dylan Bikey as Hearts' new arrivals so far this month. Known as Choulay, the player began his career in Spain with Espanyol before joining Barcelona. He won the UEFA Youth League in 2014 but moved to England the following year. Having been unable to break into Stoke's first team, he spent three months on loan at Shrewsbury Town earlier this season. He joins Hearts eager to gain experience of top-flight football. Cathro is not finished in the transfer market and could add two more new faces in addition to Tziolis before the January window closes on Tuesday night. The Anorthosis Famagusta forward Esmael Goncalves is expected in Edinburgh in the next 48 hours to sign for Hearts. He scored twice for the Cypriot club in Saturday's 4-1 win at Ermis before throwing his shirt to supporters in a final farewell gesture. Afterwards, he told local media: "The first time I left for the money. Now I go only for the football." Hearts and Anorthosis officials have discussed a transfer fee of £175,000 for the player, whose contract in Famagusta runs until summer 2018.

12 hours ago, adamntg said:

I would say Aberdeen have underachieved just as much as the Edinburgh clubs.  One club city, oil rich, really should be able to challenge the old firm given their catchment area. 

What's oil got to do with football?

Do you really think Aberdeen aren't as successful as they should be because bp and shell haven't invested in them?

18 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

What would perhaps be more embarrassing would be your first choice goalie choosing to sit on the bench for the rest of his career rather than play for Celtic.

I haven't heard about this Port Vale story so you presumably must look at more Rangers news stories than I do. Makes sense for us to spend prudently on a reserve goalkeeper though, I'd have thought.

If you think us selling a 34 year old for a £3m profit is embarrassing you probably think David Murray was a great businessman!

Edited by slasher

9 hours ago, dandydunn said:

What's oil got to do with football?

Do you really think Aberdeen aren't as successful as they should be because bp and shell haven't invested in them?

There's lots of money in Aberdeen.  People and businesses there are well off and could be supporting their football team.  

And that's not to mention their hinterland, with no club of any size within 70 miles.  

Aberdeen have a greater potential than Hibs and possibly also Hearts. 

4 minutes ago, adamntg said:

There's lots of money in Aberdeen.  People and businesses there are well off and could be supporting their football team.  

And that's not to mention their hinterland, with no club of any size within 70 miles.  

That's the problem with football today - should not be relying on sugar daddy's - clubs should be self sufficient and living within their means

will all fall into to place and players will get more reasonable salaries - effectively at the moment the sugar daddy's money, and debt placed on clubs is going to service players pockets - guys have more money than what they know what to do with - and no Sky money does not cover this or no clubs would be in debt

12 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Have heard this argument before and not wholly convinced by it. 

Much of 'the money' is oil related which is on a significant downturn.  

Another factor again oil related is that there are many people in the area who are incomers and have no affinity to the area other than as a place where they live to be close to their work. Even if these people are 'football' people then they already have their team from where they originally hail from.

One area the club could maybe have done better in the past is to have tapped into that industry for investment. Seems that until Saltire Energy got involved the club have just tinkered around the edges of oil industry involvement.

Finally there is the attendance patterns of our support. Even going back to the 60s it has always been a support who seem to pick and choose their matches with big crowds 1 week witnessing a good win being followed up by thousands less coming the next week. Not my attendance record but it seems to be for a fair section of our fan base. 

44 minutes ago, adamntg said:

You miss the point. I'm not comparing Aberdeen and the Edinburgh clubs.

I'm trying to say that IMHO...and given their historical size....there's a case to say both clubs are the biggest under-achievers in the Scottish game.

Only a handful of trophies between them, both have suffered relegations, no European pedigree, and no league challenge from either for 50 years.

I think it's a pretty strong case to be honest.

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

You miss the point. I'm not comparing Aberdeen and the Edinburgh clubs.

I'm trying to say that IMHO...and given their historical size....there's a case to say both clubs are the biggest under-achievers in the Scottish game.

Only a handful of trophies between them, both have suffered relegations, no European pedigree, and no league challenge from either for 50 years.

I think it's a pretty strong case to be honest.

Hearts were the last non-OF team Tom mount a real and proper league challenge.  Aberdeen have threatened to while Rangers were away but it never quite happened.  Once maybe  

But surely if you're suggesting Hibs and Hearts are the biggest underachievers in a Scottish football you're comparing them to all Scottish clubs, Aberdeen included.  

For the size of the city, Aberdeen should be pulling more through the gates than the Dundee clubs combined who're in a city just over half the size with another three championship and premiership clubs within 30 miles.