Tunnocks - Page 9 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

80s too. The flag seem to fall out of popularity when we stopped playing England regularly.

I've still got a bit of affinity for the "big red dug", not for any royalist reasons, it just reminds me of the old days in section J under the huge floodlights...

I remember buying one outside Hampden1972 against england.It had remember bannockburn written on it.Ijust recently threw it out as it had faded so badly you could hardly see any red marking on it.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

80s too. The flag seem to fall out of popularity when we stopped playing England regularly.

I've still got a bit of affinity for the "big red dug", not for any royalist reasons, it just reminds me of the old days in section J under the huge floodlights...

Ah, the great Section J.

Nothing better in football than a Wednesday night under the lights in there.

The Lion Rampant has been used by the Scottish Monarchy since it was Introduced by King William (The Lion)circa 1165- 1215. ( Born in Huntingdon, outside London, but that was controlled by Scottish Royalty and technically Scotland.... ,

before that it was a boar, an ancient Pictish Symbol.

The Fluer De Lyons around the Lion represent the French as they (were meant to) protect the Scottish Monarchy due to the Auld Alliance.

Technically it is illegal to fly the Lion Rampart if you are not the Queen,

Scotland Fans used it a lot in the 60s and 70's before the Scottish Saltire became common.

I always associate it with a Royalist Scot.

I believe that the Commanding Officer of the Scottish Cavalry can also fly it... So that's the CO of the RSDG who flies it off his tank.

Sean Clerkin - a one man reddy for the indy movement. The only question is why the press give him such prominence. Could he be the new Adam Busby??

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/pro-indy-group-stage-demo-7181045

"Three people from the Scottish Resistance group, led by activist Sean Clerkin, stood outside the factory building in Uddingston, South Lanarkshire, with a lion rampant flag and handed out tea cakes made by rival Scottish firm Lees."

I remember buying one outside Hampden1972 against england.It had remember bannockburn written on it.Ijust recently threw it out as it had faded so badly you could hardly see any red marking on it.

still got one in the Attic

"Three people from the Scottish Resistance group, led by activist Sean Clerkin, stood outside the factory building in Uddingston, South Lanarkshire, with a lion rampant flag and handed out tea cakes made by rival Scottish firm Lees."

Don't know who, don't care who, don't give a f'ck which flag they're flying.Promoting biscuits from a Scottish company who haven't make a big deal one way or other, handing out biscuits outside a company that would rather be recognised as British not Scottish.

Marketing and capitalism will decide, not ideal but hey ho.