Forth Road Bridge Closed - Page 20 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Forth Road Bridge Closed

Tory trap = responsibility which is ducked.

"We need money".

You could raise more by present council tax or a replacement, APD, future income tax, cut (or raise welfare payments via discretionary) including winter fuel allowance, free bus travel for over 60's, bring back prescription fees, bring in graduate tax, bridge tolls, road tolls even, Stamp Tax, business rates.

"We need money"

No action. No responsibility. No concern or governance. Looking forward to middle class bribes from Swinney.

Or we could just back to Victorian times and throw anybody who is too old, or unable to to work, into to workhouse until they die.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They could use their tax raising powers or even allow an increase in council tax the freezing of which has become dogmatic and damaging.

The main problem I see with allowing councils to increase council tax, is that council tax only accounts for less than 15% of their total budget. If they wanted to increase their total budget by say 10% they would need to increase council tax by about 80%. I am fairly sure that isn't going to be popular.

Do you know how much extra these councils are hoping to raise if they did increase council tax?

"We need money".

You could raise more by present council tax or a replacement, APD, future income tax, cut (or raise welfare payments via discretionary) including winter fuel allowance, free bus travel for over 60's, bring back prescription fees, bring in graduate tax, bridge tolls, road tolls even, Stamp Tax, business rates.

"We need money"

No action. No responsibility. No concern or governance. Looking forward to middle class bribes from Swinney.

Or we could not pay for Trident.

Or we could just back to Victorian times and throw anybody who is too old, or unable to to work, into to workhouse until they die.

Which is not actually what Alan is suggesting but lets give an emotive response which has nothing to do with the suggestion that they exercise some of the powers they have.

Or we could not pay for Trident.

Not in the Scottish Government's control.

Busy because funding has been cut for processing FOI requests as the volume of requests has risen? That's another question to ask.

IIRC Lord Pishy Breeks put in a FOI every day while he was in Holyrude... for the most frivolous of things. perhaps this has caused the cost to be examined.

That's a deterrent against terrorism and attacks...oh wait.

Actually it's a deterrent against Vikings. No Vikings have shown up since we got nuclear weapons. Pretty conclusive proof.

Yep, Vikings.

And unicorns. Vikings and unicorns.

"We need money".

"We need money"

Or we could keep ALL the money raised and earned in Scotland in Scotland, instead of handing it all over then begging for some back, and just run our own affairs like most other countries.....

Which is not actually what Alan is suggesting but lets give an emotive response which has nothing to do with the suggestion that they exercise some of the powers they have.

Not in the Scottish Government's control.

They are exercising the powers they have.They might not be exercising them the way you and Alan want them to, but you can vote for somebody else if if you're not happy with that.

I know it isn't. It's my suggestion. I just think it as sensible a suggestion as his.

I want to use all the powers available in Holyrood. I want a party that says it is to the left to action that and fund services instead of cutting them ala Forth Road Bridge. The SNP have really fecked up. Removed tolls, cut funding, gambled on new bridge being ready. You are talking about Victorian period.

The SNP have really fecked up. Removed tolls, cut funding, gambled on new bridge being ready.

That is just nonsense, although it aligns with the Daily Mail of course. Acquaint yourself with the actual facts. If anyone is to blame (and I don't really think there is any blame due) it is Labour who tried to prevent there ever being a new bridge, but as for the current brief closure, to blame the SNP government is like saying that you're to blame for getting a puncture yesterday because you didn't replace all the tyres on your car last month.

Edited by Alibi

I want to use all the powers available in Holyrood. I want a party that says it is to the left to action that and fund services instead of cutting them ala Forth Road Bridge. The SNP have really fecked up. Removed tolls, cut funding, gambled on new bridge being ready. You are talking about Victorian period.

How exactly would the problem with the old bridge have been fixed without it being closed?