Good Luck Bosnia Thread - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Good Luck Bosnia Thread

I fully believe a lot of the people wanting Ireland to get "pumped" are sad bigoted arseholes. Sadly Scotland and Northern Ireland seems full of them. Both places have fantastic people but there's an anti Irish sentiment from a lot of people.

My Grandmother is Irish. I grew up with a lot of Irish culture. Music and the likes all through my childhood. I'm Catholic(only saying this to debunk the bigot debate). But trust me, I'll not be losing any sleep if the Irish go out. I won't be cheering on Bosnia either but I simply cannot believe how lucky Ireland were during the campaign.

I'm Scottish. That is what I am. Fully committed to my country. I don't fall for this having to follow them because they are our Celtic cousins.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wanting Bosnia to win cos Ireland are our rivals. Historically, England will always be our main rivals, but if you look at the teams, and especially considering we were in the same group, Ireland are in direct competition with us, and as such, I hope they get pumped tonight.

I've already said I'll only be watching minimal amounts of the Euros, but I'll also be wanting Poland to get papped in every game. Once the WC qualies start, I'll have no interest.

I'm no bitter, I'd have supported Bosnia anyway, never support any of the other home nations or Ireland. My point was no need to come and gloat. As for insults dry yer eyes, Im sure you've been called worse with a lot more malice.

Enjoy the "football" tonight

It is rather amusing that you are telling him to dry his eyes from your insults but are getting offended about him "gloating" in the exact same post.

I've no doubt there are folk in Scotland who are anti-Irish and/or anti-Catholic. It's a very tiny number of folk though and it's something which is becoming less and less prevalent.

I value my 29 years experience in living here a bit higher than your anecdotal evidence of encountering a couple of scumbags, i'm afraid.

In future, you'd be wise not to brand folk who want Ireland to lose as bigots. All that does is reflect your own intolerances and prejudices.

I'm not so sure it's a very tiny number. You certainly wouldn't have to go very far to find it in Glasgow, Ayrshire, Lanarkshire, West Lothian and Fife.

I certainly encounter it less than 20 / 30 years ago but it's still depressingly common.

Edited by Charlie Endell

I would wish Ireland well in any sport against pretty much anyone, other than Scotland obviously. I'm not overly bothered, but good luck to them tonight. The McCarthy/McGeady thing doesn't bother be at all, if they choose to honour their heritage by paying for a country other than that of their birth what is wrong with that? Our football and rugby teams have selected players with more tenuous connections to Scorland.

Religious bigotry is all too rife in parts of Scotland, and it sounds as if some Irish fans have experienced this when in Glasgow for the football. That's a shame. Apportioning a hope from some here that Ireland don't qualify tonight to bigotry seems far fetched to me, but I won't pretend to know what other people's motives are.

I've admired for years the ability of Irish teams - football, rugby and cricket - to win games, in a way that is the polar opposite to ours to snatch defeat from victory. We could learn a lot from them. I suspect they will show us that again tonight. None of which changes the reality that they play a particularly muscular and ugly brand of football. It's not pretty, but not is it lucky and it usually effective. Saying that doesn't mean I think we play like Brazil or Spain, I just know ugly football when I see it. Not that I would care one bit if I were Irish and about to qualify.

Edited by Pool Q

I would wish Ireland well in any sport against pretty much anyone, other than Scotland obviously. I'm not overly bothered, but good luck to them tonight. The McCarthy/McGeady thing doesn't bother be at all, if they choose to honour their heritage by paying for a country other than that of their birth what is wrong with that? Our football and rugby teams have selected players with more tenuous connections to Scorland.

Religious bigotry is all to rife in parts of Scotland, and it sounds as if some Irish fans have experienced this when in Glasgow for the football. That's a shame. Apportioning a hope from some here that Ireland don't qualify tonight to bigotry seems far fetched to me, but I won't pretend to know what other people's motives are.

I've admired for years the ability of Irish teams - football, rugby and cricket - to win games, in a way that is the polar opposite to snatch defeat from victory. We could learn a lot from them. I suspect they will show us that again tonight. None of which changes the reality that they play a particularly muscular and ugly brand of football. It's not pretty, but not is it lucky and it usually effective. Saying that doesn't mean I think we play like Brazil or Spain, I just know ugly football when I see it. Not that I would care one bit if I were Irish and about to qualify.

:ok: Great post, Mr Q.

Even on the super-tolerant TAMB you had "boggies", "tattie howkers" and even "gypsies" in the run up to the Ireland game at CP.

Edited by Charlie Endell

I'm not so sure it's a very tiny number. You certainly wouldn't have to go very far to find it in Glasgow, Ayrshire, Lanarkshire, West Lothian and Fife.

I certainly encounter it less than 20 / 30 years ago but it's still depressingly common.

Quite a few folk on here stridently argue that anti Catholicism is a thing of the past and has not existed for decades. It seems every one of them is not a catholic. When one ( a catholic) contradicts this they are labelled grief junkies with a victimhood culture. Scotland is a country in denial it seems to me

Maybe you're right. It's just not something i encounter folk exhibiting very often at all. Even on my journeys to the places you mention above. Hence my assertion.

Religious bigotry is all too rife in parts of Scotland, and it sounds as if some Irish fans have experienced this when in Glasgow for the football. That's a shame. Apportioning a hope from some here that Ireland don't qualify tonight to bigotry seems far fetched to me, but I won't pretend to know what other people's motives are.

I've admired for years the ability of Irish teams - football, rugby and cricket - to win games, in a way that is the polar opposite to ours to snatch defeat from victory. We could learn a lot from them. I suspect they will show us that again tonight. None of which changes the reality that they play a particularly muscular and ugly brand of football. It's not pretty, but not is it lucky and it usually effective. Saying that doesn't mean I think we play like Brazil or Spain, I just know ugly football when I see it. Not that I would care one bit if I were Irish and about to qualify.

Excellent post.

Just hoping you can see the match on the TV this time!

If they qualify then I hope there fans have a great time in Paris though, absolutely spot on when we were in Dublin. The likes of the flag presentation the day before the game in Murray's was a great touch & deserves a lot of credit. Not many would do that!

Irrespective of who you favour to win, that is an utter disgrace from the refereeing team to give that pen. Has to be the softest pen I have ever seen for a handball. He is a yard or two away. Hands down by his side. The type of decision that suggests an utter lack of understanding of the game by the ref.