The Tartan Army Are In Danger Of "celebrating Failure" - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Tartan Army Are In Danger Of "celebrating Failure"

McExpat

From 17 years ago - we were talking about how bad we were then

Absolutely shameful that 17 years later we are still talking

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Think+Tank+chairman+Ernie+can't+claim+to+be+wise+now.-a060707882

24 years ago and 7 years prior to this we had the same discussion after losing 5-0 in Lisbon

And yet the SFA stumble on

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the fault of the SFA AND of the Labour administration led by Jack McConnell. We need to tear the SFA up and start again and if we had have had the opportunity to host the Euro's the capital investment into the game and the country would have changed football in Scotland forever. Sadly hosting a tournament would have been FAR too much of a confidence boost for the nation and McConnell's Westminster masters would never have allowed that. Look at him now eh? bought and sold...

Me n the Mrs were at every game during this campaign including last nyt n Wullie millar is talkin absolute pish who pays for his trips when Scotland are playing NOT him but we pay for ours how dare he presume to know how we feel, in the couple of days leading upto last nyt everybody I met were so disappointed last nyt was n my eyes a totally nul n void game I thought it was in defiance rather than support most fans if they showes anything was that we want strachan to stay put

Or maybe the team should give us some success to celebrate?

Would he rather we stopped turning up just because we don't qualify?

This.

And by the way, there were steamers and posers in our support back when we used to qualify and there's steamers and posers in our support now.

We must be up there with the most faithful fans in the world and the SFA should be shamed that there isn't a team on the pitch worthy of that level of support.

Miller and the rest of the media should be looking at the thousands who were there on Sunday and be asking serious, hard questions of the football administration, not questioning whether that trip was the best use of my time.

REGAN OUT.

Criticising the numbers is ridiculous. People booked up thinking we would make the play-offs at least. It was an easy point ahead of a potential play-off, the Euros and Wembley.

As for the support, they were hardly going to boo the team after a 6-0 win.

If Georgia away was the final game it would have been a very different atmosphere.

Or maybe the team should give us some success to celebrate?

Would he rather we stopped turning up just because we don't qualify?

Me n the Mrs were at every game during this campaign including last nyt n Wullie millar is talkin absolute pish who pays for his trips when Scotland are playing NOT him but we pay for ours how dare he presume to know how we feel, in the couple of days leading upto last nyt everybody I met were so disappointed last nyt was n my eyes a totally nul n void game I thought it was in defiance rather than support most fans if they showes anything was that we want strachan to stay put

I think you are missing WM's point, we blindly follow Scotland regardless which I appreciate some see as a good thing but it does have a negative impact in that the SFA know this and will continue to increase prices despite another failure.

I'm not saying we should be booing the team at every opportunity but we should be letting them and the SFA know that this is unacceptable to us now. the SFA are primarily to blame for our failings but I think the players, Manager and us as fans can take a little responsibility too.

Can someone tell me why we should never boo failure?

When i was a lad the song of choice when your domestic team was playing bad was 'what a load of rubbish'. accompanied with lots of booing. It had the desired effect at times.

I'm not advocating being nasty or personal but as a collective its my opinion that goruip of players and management structure did not deserve a standing ovation from some or any sort of plaudits (no matter how many it was in reality, the media have made out it was everyone and it was a lovely big group cuddle)

We are the only nation that i know of who accepts failure in the manner we do. We don't need witch hunts but you can see from this thread the public perception is not whats always on the ground and many of us are sick to the pits of our stomachs of this merry-go-round.

Just for once i'd like us to publicly show some 'gallus' and dare i say it, arrogance. These are the countries who qualify. Those who have the mindset of 'we tried our best' will forever fail.

Strachan is taking us in the right direction, but we should be demanding more, From him, the players and the very usless incumbents of the SFA (who have completely failed football in Scotland for generations but never accept any blame for their part)

Not in danger...some of us have celebrated failure.

Excuses like 'We're just a wee nation' etc etc need to stop or we will just continue to do what we have always done.

It's a disgrace we have not qualified. We took 9 points from 8 games......pathetic.

This is the fault of the SFA AND of the Labour administration led by Jack McConnell. We need to tear the SFA up and start again and if we had have had the opportunity to host the Euro's the capital investment into the game and the country would have changed football in Scotland forever. Sadly hosting a tournament would have been FAR too much of a confidence boost for the nation and McConnell's Westminster masters would never have allowed that. Look at him now eh? bought and sold...

Yep, people forget that we had an opportunity to host the Euros, the whole thing died of death the minute our inferiority complex kicked in and we decided to joint bid with Ireland.

Yet another example of our country showing absolutely zero ambition and settling for second best.

Funnily enough Westminster managed to cough up millions of pounds for a nice new stadium and a failed world cup bid in the years which followed!

We must be a complete laughing stock down there and rightly so! Will our country ever get it's act together!?

What's wrong with applauding your teams efforts .the Scotland team means a lot to a lot of people' me included. As for dicks in our support. There are dicks in every crowd in every walk of life. IMO we have an outstanding support. Great atmosphere in albufeira. Had 3 amazing nights with friends ' family and fellow fans.

Cannot agree Andy, we won one match that mattered. The team means a lot to many of us but FFS, a lap of honour?

We failed when the chips were down, four crucial matches- 2 points. Applaud failure? Bad habit to get into.

I'm glad someone else has posted on the fans reaction at the end of the game. Leaving the ground on Sunday and hearing the mass 'celebration' of our inadequate qualifying campaign left me mystified. To cheer Strachan because he's not Burley or Levein is appreciation for mediocrity. His team failed with him in charge, but we did show those Georgia and Gibraltar guys a thing or two, well maybe not Georgia. I'm not pushing for him to go, I can't think of many managers who would want the job, but it won't spoil my day if he goes.

Yep, people forget that we had an opportunity to host the Euros, the whole thing died of death the minute our inferiority complex kicked in and we decided to joint bid with Ireland.

Yet another example of our country showing absolutely zero ambition and settling for second best.

Funnily enough Westminster managed to cough up millions of pounds for a nice new stadium and a failed world cup bid in the years which followed!

We must be a complete laughing stock down there and rightly so! Will our country ever get it's act together!?

I wouldn't blame it on "our" inferiority complex, I'd blame it on the Scottish unionists inferiority complex as it is they who believe what their masters in London tell them about how pathetic we are supposed to be and that we should defend that pathetic mindset like good grovelling little subjects.

The Euros would not have improved our football skills. Money would have went into stadia.

It would have been similar to Hampden argument where it is bricks and mortar used for 90 minutes or coaches and support.

I have to stick up for sfa as the regions performance schools ate in place. The area that needs improved is full size indoor pitches and that is responsibility of local and Scottish government.

Criticising the numbers is ridiculous. People booked up thinking we would make the play-offs at least. It was an easy point ahead of a potential play-off, the Euros and Wembley.

As for the support, they were hardly going to boo the team after a 6-0 win.

If Georgia away was the final game it would have been a very different atmosphere.

I was amazed so many folk were clapping and cheering. Bizarre IMO.

This is by far the best post I've read on this forum for a long time. Me and my mate were booked up to fly to Faro and intended driving to the airport straight after the Poland game but as soon as they equalised we were out of Hampden and drove back up north and gave the trip a miss. Mental to spend the money and then not go - not as far as I'm concerned. I'm sick of our, the teams, continued failure and our, the fans, acceptance of mediocrity. As long as the fans blindly celebrate and party regardless of what happens on the park the SFA will rip us off and the players will believe it's okay because the fans are still happy. When was the last time we came close to qualifying? - 2008, not good enough. Our last big result was the win against France during that campaign, we haven't come close to one since and there's no sign of another one anytime soon. If we can't get into the top 24 for an expanded Euro Championships does anyone seriously think we can be in the top 13 teams who will qualify for the World Cup?

The Euros would not have improved our football skills. Money would have went into stadia.

It would have been similar to Hampden argument where it is bricks and mortar used for 90 minutes or coaches and support.

I have to stick up for sfa as the regions performance schools ate in place. The area that needs improved is full size indoor pitches and that is responsibility of local and Scottish government.

The money would have gone in to stadia aye, and a whole number of other areas as well, infrastructure & transport, there would have been plenty to trickle into clubs and to football generally across all areas. Also the visibility and confidence boost it would have given the nation as a whole as well as the inspiration it would have given kids, future generations. Would have been invaluable. The unionists denied us all that opportunity, there is no defending them for their behaviour yet we let them get away with it cos we are a nation of pussies.

Can't stick up for the SFA at all, they have consistently mis-managed football in Scotland for nigh on 40 years.

This is by far the best post I've read on this forum for a long time. Me and my mate were booked up to fly to Faro and intended driving to the airport straight after the Poland game but as soon as they equalised we were out of Hampden and drove back up north and gave the trip a miss. Mental to spend the money and then not go - not as far as I'm concerned. I'm sick of our, the teams, continued failure and our, the fans, acceptance of mediocrity. As long as the fans blindly celebrate and party regardless of what happens on the park the SFA will rip us off and the players will believe it's okay because the fans are still happy. When was the last time we came close to qualifying? - 2008, not good enough. Our last big result was the win against France during that campaign, we haven't come close to one since and there's no sign of another one anytime soon. If we can't get into the top 24 for an expanded Euro Championships does anyone seriously think we can be in the top 13 teams who will qualify for the World Cup?

Not saying whether I agree with your post generally or not, but just for the record we came just as close to qualifying this time as we did in 2008 i.e. out with one game to go.

Agree with Willie Miller & pretty much what we were discussing after the Poland game.

It seems not doing as badly as we might is the new doing well.

We were 4th out the hat, finished 4th in the group & we didn't do anything in between that exceeded expectations. It was yet another failure, no matter how you try & dress it up.

I've been very surprised by the clamour to get Strachan to stay. Let's be honest, where exactly has he taken us?

Each to their own, but I'm not keen on applauding failure & saying well done for trying.

I took a bit of a pasting in the "What If We Lose (to Poland)" thread on the Gibraltar Travel page for making pretty much the same point that Willie Miller makes (and now seemingly plenty other TAMBers). The consensus in that thread (that I argued against) was "If we lose to Poland - it, still have a party".

So it all panned out just that way and most fans did indeed seem to have a party.

We had a party that celebrated failure. If you celebrate failure, then failure becomes very easy to achieve.

We should be demanding success (especially when success is only qualifying for a tournament that involves 24 nations from Europe).

If you at least aspire to be successful, then succes becomes that bit more likely.

Edited by scot scotland scottish

Recall after losing to Costa Rica in WC 90 ; was utterly depressed , but loads of guys on the lash

" we'll walk a million miles for one of your goals"

Blind faith mentality on an endless loop

Not sure if much has changed

At least we were getting to World Cups & Euros back in the day.

We're doing nothing on the pitch these days to merit such a support.