Brendan Rodgers - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Brendan Rodgers

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with every word of your post btw. I wasn't suggesting that everyone on this board supports Man Utd/Chelsea/etc.

I think this is something that is changing though. I was at my nephews 5th birthday party on Saturday. My 2 nephews were wearing a Falkirk strip and a Stenhousemuir strip. 2 other kids were wearing Hearts tops. No other kids in the room were wearing Scottish strips. I'm trying to take my nephews to football as much as possible in order to try and stop them "supporting" foreign teams. It is difficult to stop them being seduced by the perceived glamour of the EPL and Champions League.

No, the only subscription TV i subscribe to is Netflix.

I know what you mean about the kids but as you are doing with your nephews it's up to the parents to educate them about their local teams.

2 of my 3 boys are Rangers and Scotland supporters and the third only supports Scotland as he's not really into football.

They can all appreciate good football as I let them watch any good quality football no matter where it's from.

To be honest my youngest is affected most by his mates and Fifa 16. He is (sadly) a Ronaldo fan but I'm working on his education.

As I've previously said I spend nothing on the foreign teams as I only buy them Scotland strips.

I know what you mean about the kids but as you are doing with your nephews it's up to the parents to educate them about their local teams.

2 of my 3 boys are Rangers and Scotland supporters and the third only supports Scotland as he's not really into football.

They can all appreciate good football as I let them watch any good quality football no matter where it's from.

To be honest my youngest is affected most by his mates and Fifa 16. He is (sadly) a Ronaldo fan but I'm working on his education.

As I've previously said I spend nothing on the foreign teams as I only buy them Scotland strips.

Why is him being a Ronaldo fan such a bad thing? His application and dedication to his profession is as good as anyone who has played the game. He is renowned for how hard he works in training and I doubt you will see him sitting in a door way pished out of his skull anytime soon. He can also play a bit too :)

I was a huge Paul Scholes fan growing up. Hasn't stopped me being passionate about Scottish fitba.

A lot worse folk for him to be a fan of IMO mate.

Edited by Angus_Young

Why is him being a Ronaldo fan such a bad thing? His application and dedication to his profession is as good as anyone who has played the game. He is renowned for how hard he works in training and I doubt you will see him sitting in a door way pished out of his skull anytime soon. He can also play a bit too :)

I was a huge Paul Scholes fan growing up. Hasn't stopped me being passionate about Scottish fitba.

A lot worse folk for him to be a fan of IMO mate.

He's a phenomenal footballer but just too much of a preening self aggrandising .

The museum he built to himself was the last straw.

I much prefer Messi as I think he's possibly the ultimate footballer. Will possibly not score as many as Ronaldo but will help his team win far more.

He's a phenomenal footballer but just too much of a preening self aggrandising .

I much prefer Messi as I think he's possibly the ultimate footballer. Will possibly not score as many as Ronaldo but will help his team win far more.

The way he went in the huff when Arbeloa (who was 2 yards in front of him) tapped in a cross last season was pathetic.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/watch-cristiano-ronaldo-refuses-celebrate-5606820

Video on the above, for anyone who doesn't know what i'm on about.

The way he went in the huff when Arbeloa (who was 2 yards in front of him) tapped in a cross last season was pathetic.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/watch-cristiano-ronaldo-refuses-celebrate-5606820

Video on the above, for anyone who doesn't know what i'm on about.

Perfect example of why I don't like him. I played with a guy like that before. He was the best player in the team and made sure he told everybody ad nauseum.

I finally got my point about passing through to him when during a game I tackled him myself. I should have been booked for it as I wiped him out but the ref didn't know what to do as we were on the same team. :lol:

Listened to talksport for an hour or so last night and had another listen this morning and just caught 10 minutes or so just there and they are still going on and on and on and on about the .

How long can they recycle the same old shite and onions and are still able to make a big song and dance about it

Now I know why I stopped listening to the thing

:-))

Fair enough as are the points made by RB and Parkie. I just think as far as modern day players go, he certainly isn't the worst.

As a footballer he's amazing.

As a person, he seems to be a bit of a bellend.

I didn't even know about the museum but wow, that tkes beungg a cock to a new level.

I certainly don't - EPL is most overhyped league in the world but it is nice to see some those overhyped managers and teams struggling and the toys flying out the pram. Anyhow thought Rogers might be set for the Saints when Tommy Wright moves on to better things at United :wink2:

Oh well looks like I might be half right at least.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34441199

The way Brendan Rodgers tried to portray himself as some sort of deep thinking, intellectual football manager was so cringe inducing.

Some of Rodgers "words of wisdom".

1. ”It was a perfect away performance, apart from the first 10 minutes.”
2. “I’ve always said that you can live without water for many days, but you can’t live for a second without hope.”
3. On Luis Suarez: “He is a real warrior of spirit.”
4. “My biggest mentor is myself because I’ve had to study, so that’s been my biggest influence.”
5. “I am not a power freak.” (We think the lady doth protest too much!)
6. “I started coaching for one reason and that was to make a difference for people, not just as footballers but as human beings.”
7. “When we have the football, everybody’s a player.”
8. “You train dogs, I like to educate players.”
9. ‘I think there’s three players who will let us down this year — the cause, the fight, everything – and I have written them down already in these three envelopes. Make sure you are not in one of the envelopes.”
10.”I use a quote with the players,“Per aspera ad astra”, which is Latin for ‘through adversity to the stars’.”
11. “When you’ve got the ball 65-70% of the time, it’s a football death for the other team. We’re not at that stage yet, but that’s what we will get to. It’s death by football. You just suck the life out of them.”
12. “Joe Allen is one of the most courageous players I’ve seen.
13. “I will leave no stone unturned in my quest – and that quest will be relentless.”
14. “I always say a squad is like a good meal – I’m not a great cook but a good meal takes a wee bit of time, but also to offer a good meal you need good ingredients.”
15. “All I’ll ever do is all I’ve ever done in any job, and that’s promise to fight for my life for the people of the city.”
16. On the ‘Being: Liverpool’ documentary: “It was something I didn’t watch, and thankfully it’s over.”
17. “I’ve always worked along the statistic, that if you can dominate the game with the ball you have a 79% chance of winning a game of football.”
18. “I believe a young player will run through a barbed wire fence for you. An older player looks for a hole in the fence.”
19. “The problem with being a manager is it’s like trying to build an aircraft while it is flying.”
20. “We play with 11 men, other teams play with 10 men and a goalkeeper.”

I think the Liverpool owners will have already checked to see if he was interested before they punted Brendan. Got to be an odds on bet.

1/10 according to sky and they know everything about absolutely everything.

Without getting in to the tit-for-tat pish that has gone previously...

I agree with Ormond that folks fascination with English (and other foreign) fitbaw is a major problem for our game. Folk seem to believe they can support a team via Sky Sports. It's pathetic, IMO. How can you have an affinity with a team from hundreds of miles away, that you have no connection to and who do not even come from the same country as you? It's bizarre.

There's also the numpties like Louch, who give it the "Scottish fitbaw is pish". Of course, he never goes to watch Scottish football or contributes to it. Yet he thinks his opinion on it should be valid. These folk are too thick to realise that even if it is "pish", it is so because numpties want to support a foreign team via Sky Sports.

In the long-term, this will also significantly affect our national team as our clubs wont be able to afford to invest in youth development and community programmes.

But hey, we can all cut about in our new Man Utd kits and pay Rupert Murdoch £1200/year. That's what real fitbaw fans do.

I first seen Celtic play locally (in England) followed them ever since, was season book holder for many years despite living in England and still go see them maybe 6 timrs a season and some of these times abroad even though I don't live in Scotland.

When they are on BT or Sky I watch them.

This shouldn't be allowed then? Am I a bad person?

:lol::lol: Kinda sums up oor national team for the past 20 years.