Michelle Thomson - Edinburgh West Mp - Property Scandal - Page 15 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Michelle Thomson - Edinburgh West Mp - Property Scandal

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure but I can almost guarantee it was the fault of the SNP. Bad, bad SNP.

that's the trouble with him nowadays, every post is SNPBAD and that's about it. Found it was much better for my blood pressure putting him on ignore.

Aye, i get that these businesses rely on either distressed sellers, or sellers who just don't know the true value of what they're selling. But it's no different to webuyanycar.com, or even antique dealers who trawl car boot sales to snap up bargains.

I'm just trying to understand why it's apparently so much more immoral to trade in houses, than say antiques or cars?

Cause a home is a need and the rest are wants as are any house over the one you have.

No I don't think so. But some of the others I am not so sure about.

I mind when the mods changed the swear filter so the way ron used to type (c unt with a space i think) came out as 'farmer'. Seems to me some want to blow this out of all proportions and twist it into something nasty. Either that or the board has lost its collective sense of humour.

Should maybe post this on the TAMB is ####ed thread and just my impression but this board seems to be dying on it's arse a bit these days. The folk running it do it for free and have always been pretty decent over the years (with the exception of the deeply humourless but thankfully short lived mod18). I just don't see it at all (the charge of bullying).

I understand if you see it the other way, not saying you are wrong.

And to be honest I had not noticed Donny posting on it. What the hell is it that the mods are supposed to have done that makes it bullying, maybe I missed something.

Donny said it was pathetic.

In my mind there is a qualitative difference between using the swear filter to chastise by-passing of the swear-filter. To using the swear filter to chastise political affiliation. Add in the anonymity and the context of the board plus defriending on facebook etc and for me it looks completely different.

Well it was hard to follow as it looked like the swear filter was correcting itself when folk quoted someone else. What was the root of it all?

I agree that if it was politically motivated then that is not cool but personally I think it is because scunnered is half posting half spamming with the spamming part increasing. It has become like a campaign not a dialogue. I see their action as frustration at this as they have never ever interfered with other very anti snp posters on here. Quite the feckin in opposite in fact.

With respect to the bint this thread was about...

This is a very prismatic discussion.

First off the illegality. The lawyer being struck off suggests something serious. If she is implicated in people over she should equally be ####ed over by the law. No one in the SNP would disagree is my bet.

Then we have the grey area of people acting within the law but still preying on folk. Our country is full of it. Tradesmen, professionals, amateurs... everyone of them is seeking to get one over. 500 quid an hour for a lawyer? how much for that roof repair? how much for that surveyor who did all? Yeah the bitch needs the sack but hey ho welcome to modern day Britain. The SNP should still get rid if this is the case.

Then we have folk working in 'bottom feeding' industries but who are still acting with integrity. They should be allowed to carry on. Unless we are about to overturn the whole capitalist model (which would befine with me but you know it will end up with rape gangs burning your building down).

With respect to the bint this thread was about...

This is a very prismatic discussion.

First off the illegality. The lawyer being struck off suggests something serious. If she is implicated in people over she should equally be ####ed over by the law. No one in the SNP would disagree is my bet.

Then we have the grey area of people acting within the law but still preying on folk. Our country is full of it. Tradesmen, professionals, amateurs... everyone of them is seeking to get one over. 500 quid an hour for a lawyer? how much for that roof repair? how much for that surveyor who did all? Yeah the bitch needs the sack but hey ho welcome to modern day Britain. The SNP should still get rid if this is the case.

Then we have folk working in 'bottom feeding' industries but who are still acting with integrity. They should be allowed to carry on. Unless we are about to overturn the whole capitalist model (which would befine with me but you know it will end up with rape gangs burning your building down).

from what has been reported so far, there is no illegality

what the solicitor got struck off for was not reporting the red flags, that "might" have indicated fraud - effectively not being compliant, rather there being any underlying fraud

similar example would be a bank not reporting large cash deposits from personal customers, outwith their course of business - think its £20K - If the bank did not document and report, they would be guilty, but the guy who won money on the horses would not be guilty

this is based on what has been reported so far,

If people are earning a passive income and are able to retire early etc then that money is coming directly from their tenants reducing their ability to save for a deposit etc.

They are also not selling properties as they move on meaning less supply and higher prices.

I am not saying this is wrong but to think that this is not impacting anyone adversely is nonsense. The people impacted are exactly the same hairdressers etc that you are cheering for doing good.

Not sure if it cool to quote Marx but It's almost a textbook example of rentierism.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rentier_capitalism

I'm no expert but the approach adopted in Australia surely cannot be sustainable.

Australia is a young country that attracts people, and, I assume, it is mainly the young who are doing the renting, so there is a ready market right there. Renting privately is fine when you are young and/or fit enough to work; but what happens when you are no longer able to? If the market is full of buy-to-let investors then it is going to take a hell of a long time before the average punter is able to save enough for a deposit on a place of his or her own, let alone a mortgage.

I get most of that and I'd say plenty are in the same frame of mind as yourself. However, for the sake of any future referendum to get the YES vote it needs the SNP to formulate much better and iron-clad vision and plans for an independent Scotland so that should interest you. If the SNP can't put together a stronger case next time around on the currency we would use and economics, health service etc it will be another lost cause.

However, if we think about it, what they say they will put in place is not really relevant. I say this because once the SNP gain independence it is said the SNP would be disbanded as their chief goal would have been obtained - Salmond said it and Sturgeon has said it as well. That being the case another party would be shaping the country after the first election in an independent Scotland. People need to realise if they want an independent Scotland only the SNP will make that happen. Once they achieve that then people should vote for who they feel has the best vision for an independent Scotland.

Going forward, I think it is healthier that the pro-independence movement it is as broad a church as possible, but that doesn't mean the SNP should be the only show in town.

Ideally, the more pro-indy parties there are on the scene the better, as it shatters the misconception that SNP policy is 'what an independent Scotland will be like'. A major drawback of the white paper was that it gave opponents of independence a clear target to aim for.

There was quite a good piece about both this and the Michelle Thomson issue in the National today:

http://www.thenational.scot/comment/cat-boyd-labour-politicians-with-10-houses-shouldnt-throw-stones-over-michelle-thomson-affair.8398?utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_term=Autofeed#link_time=1444111499

She's an absolute twat

The SNP should have vetted her.

She's a real life Maurie's wigs nationalist - strangle the and then stab her in the back of the neck.

The SNP ####ed up big time with her and they need to address it regardless of internal investigation.

She devalues Business for Scotland with her involvement.

Punt her and her like. She's a fundamental Tory

Has anybody checked how many hooses she has eaten?

One of the funnier bits in the ProjectFear book is Jackie Baillie's role as the one who went out to get cakes to keep up morale. I wonder how many she bought and how many made it back to the office.

I'm no expert but the approach adopted in Australia surely cannot be sustainable.

Australia is a young country that attracts people, and, I assume, it is mainly the young who are doing the renting, so there is a ready market right there. Renting privately is fine when you are young and/or fit enough to work; but what happens when you are no longer able to? If the market is full of buy-to-let investors then it is going to take a hell of a long time before the average punter is able to save enough for a deposit on a place of his or her own, let alone a mortgage.

Australia is a ticking time bomb. Ireland 10 years ago. It got to the point in ireland where even primary school teachers (nothing against them but think about that profile) were worried that they didn't have much of a 'property profile'. It seemed like every Irish needed to have at least 3 houses, the banks were throwing the money at them and the poles were coming to rent them.

Now all those primary school teachers are pretty much f*cked. F*cked through ignorance and greed.

Even if the market went up a bit recently it's all very fragile.

Australia is a ticking time bomb. Ireland 10 years ago. It got to the point in ireland where even primary school teachers (nothing against them but think about that profile) were worried that they didn't have much of a 'property profile'. It seemed like every Irish needed to have at least 3 houses, the banks were throwing the money at them and the poles were coming to rent them.

Now all those primary school teachers are pretty much f*cked. F*cked through ignorance and greed.

Even if the market went up a bit recently it's all very fragile.

One of the major banks effectively gave up in chasing arrears as if they did they would have to enforced mass repossessions. Whole model was furked.

It's hard to imagine a less likable politician than Jackie Baillie; a woman with almost no obvious redeeming qualities.

I really hope the good folk of Dumbarton get her tae next May; it would be my Dougie Alexander, Margaret Curran and Jim Murphy moments from this May all roled into one.

It's hard to imagine a less likable politician than Jackie Baillie; a woman with almost no obvious redeeming qualities.

I really hope the good folk of Dumbarton get her tae next May; it would be my Dougie Alexander, Margaret Curran and Jim Murphy moments from this May all roled into one.

I'd imagine she'll be on the list though, Labour wouldn't make that mistake again surely?...

• 1 year later...

Abandoned by her leader.  Abandoned by her party.  Shame she didn't get the chance to face the electorate.  The opportunist can now wheel and deal in the property misery of others.:thumbs up emoji.

On 27/09/2015 at 0:56 PM, Alan said:

Here's an update although not so updated as some are now MP's.

http://chokkablog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/business-for-scotland-and-snp.html?m=1

From the list we are not exactly talking creme de la creme of business community but lets not allow this to drag away from original post of Ms Thomson and her questionable business practices.

How the tune has changed