Labour Leadership - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Labour Leadership

They are only the top jobs ("great offices of state") as defined by the old, white, upper class establishment. Health, education, employment, etc. are every bit as important in the modern world.

Creating ministers for Mental Health and Housing as well. The Murdoch Press are drowning in their own seethe.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are only the top jobs ("great offices of state") as defined by the old, white, upper class establishment. Health, education, employment, etc. are every bit as important in the modern world.

Aye, those aren't exactly insignificant areas of public life.

What I am a bit confused about though is the appointment of a Lord in the Shadow Cabinet. I though Lords couldn't vote in the Commons? :unsure:

Aye, those aren't exactly insignificant areas of public life.

What I am a bit confused about though is the appointment of a Lord in the Shadow Cabinet. I though Lords couldn't vote in the Commons? :unsure:

They can't, but I believe they can be Ministers of State...I'm not an expert on it though but you occasionally hear Lord Snooty of Wherever being in the Cabinet.

That reads like a press release. Which is not to say it is wrong.

I think Corbyn has said he sees 'no need' for further devolution to Scotland, though he may have been misreported/misrepresented. The hysterical reaction to his election as Labour leader has been something to behold. There's no doubt the full force of the MSM will be turned against him and his challenge to the cosy neo-liberal consensus of most of UK politics. Whether that will have the same effect today in the age of social media as it would have done in the past only time will tell.

The narrative that his victory will benefit Labour in Scotland is developing quickly, in some ways no doubt it will. Certainly his anti-austerity and anti-Trident views will chime with many, while the SNP may, as time goes on, be seen by increasing numbers as the establishment, government party (they have been in power for a while here now) responsible for, amongst other things, a creaking NHS and police service. However if it does appear that Corbyn is unelectable in England (I'd say he is) and that his leadership ultimately means more Tory rule, it is a reach to see how this will benefit Labour here in the medium term.

Not a question of 'if'. He will be. There is no way Middle England will stomach his leftist views. And the difference this time is that the Scottish electorate will see this as well.

All in all, the thought of a further 5 years of Tory rule on top of the current term will help benefit the indy cause.

Not a question of 'if'. He will be. There is no way Middle England will stomach his leftist views. And the difference this time is that the Scottish electorate will see this as well.

All in all, the thought of a further 5 years of Tory rule on top of the current term will help benefit the indy cause.

I don't think the Scottish electorate would either to be honest. Social attitudes survey released today showed the majority of Scottish voters want the UK to take 0 (zero) Syrian refugees, and the next most popular answer was that the UK should take 10,000, half of the number the Tories have pledged to.

We aren't the bastion of progressiveness we think we are. Hopefully JC's opposition to the Conservatives will start to make a dent in the viewpoints of the Scottish as well as the UK electorate.

Although there's practically no chance of me ever voting for the crooks (and that's what they are) in Scottish Labour, I do like some of the English Labour MPs amongst them Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell even if I don't entirely agree with all their views.

At least they have remained faithful to the cause of opposing nuclear weapons, nuclear energy and are anti-war unlike some of their colleagues who once espoused such views but have since abandoned them. Corbyn and McDonnell have also long fought hard against racism, homophobia and sexism before New Labour's drones adopted such causes to make themselves look good when in reality they couldn't give a toss.

Can't see them lasting more than two years tops though. Bound to be a coup.

Ooh Boris Johnson and Skinner having a bit of a rammy there in the Commons !

Delighted that Corbyn has won and equally pleased to see the other parties scrambling to smear him and his allies already.

The appointment of McDonnell as Shadow Chancellor could be interesting and somewhat alienating given his previous comments on the assassination of Thatcher and perceived leanings towards Irish republicanism (the timing of which is rather unfortunate at the present time).

I don't think the Scottish electorate would either to be honest. Social attitudes survey released today showed the majority of Scottish voters want the UK to take 0 (zero) Syrian refugees, and the next most popular answer was that the UK should take 10,000, half of the number the Tories have pledged to.

We aren't the bastion of progressiveness we think we are. Hopefully JC's opposition to the Conservatives will start to make a dent in the viewpoints of the Scottish as well as the UK electorate.

If that's per year, or even in the next year, it's double what the Tories have pledged.

I don't know what the question was, though?

If that's per year, or even in the next year, it's double what the Tories have pledged.

I don't know what the question was, though?

It mentioned the numbers that the UK and Germany have agreed to accept and then the question was simply:

"How many Syrian refugees do you think the UK should accept?"

Cracking stuff from the twittering classes this afternoon. The Tory guy authorised the extra-judicial assassination of a British citizen by drone strike but wears a nice suit so he's basically OK. Meanwhile Corbyn is treated as if he's dancing on the graves of the war dead because his top button is undone.

Edited by neilser

Cracking stuff from the twittering classes this afternoon. The Tory guy authorised the extra-judicial assassination of a British citizen by drone strike but wears a nice suit so he's basically OK. Meanwhile Corbyn is treated as if he's dancing on the graves of the war dead because his top button is undone.

Don't forget the disrespect he showed by not singing God Save the Queen!

Will his evil ever end!

Just goes to show how tawdry modern mainstream politics is.