Best Films Of All Time? - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best Films Of All Time?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if these are the best films I've seen, but they're certainly the most rewatched by me in the last 10 years:

Robocop (1987)

The Terminator & T2

Die Hard

Pulp Fiction

The Matrix (although lessened by it's sequels)

Batman Begins & The Dark Knight (although not TDKR)

Apollo 13

Contact

Trainspotting

The Fugitive

Children of Men

Galaxy Quest

Lord of War

Most of the really good 'serious' films I watched recently such as Still Alice; Imitation Game; Boyhood; Philomena; Lincoln; Social Network are not really films that I'd watch again and again.

It’s funny how people start these “Best” threads then everyone starts to list things. There can only be one best surely?

I will circumvent this problem by introducing genres.

Thriller – Psycho

British Comedy – Life of Brian

US Comedy – Trading Places

Gangstery/Organised Crime – Pulp Fiction

Horror – The Exorcist

WWII – The Great Escape

Nam – Apolocalypse Now

RomCom - When Harry Met Sally

Action – Any of the first 3 Bourne films

Scottish – The Angel’s Share

And drumroll………

The greatest film in the world ever – Into The Wild.

Thumbs up to Kirk for getting that one in ahead of me.

Not sure if these are the best films I've seen, but they're certainly the most rewatched by me in the last 10 years:

Robocop (1987)

The Terminator & T2

Die Hard

Pulp Fiction

The Matrix (although lessened by it's sequels)

Batman Begins & The Dark Knight (although not TDKR)

Apollo 13

Contact

Trainspotting

The Fugitive

Children of Men

Galaxy Quest

Lord of War

Most of the really good 'serious' films I watched recently such as Still Alice; Imitation Game; Boyhood; Philomena; Lincoln; Social Network are not really films that I'd watch again and again.

I suppose people often judge movies by their enduring appeal...'modern' films are yet to build that up.

For instance both Still Alice and Imitation Game are marvellous films, with superb performances by Juliette Moore and Benedict Cumberthingy, and DDL as Lincoln puts in one of the great all-time character performances, which 100% deservedly won an Oscar. I've watched Lincoln 3 or 4 times and I find it engrossing each time.....it'll become a classic, as will both Still Alice and The Imitation Game.

It’s funny how people start these “Best” threads then everyone starts to list things. There can only be one best surely?

Thriller – Psycho

Horror – The Exorcist

WWII – The Great Escape

Nam – Apolocalypse Now

And drumroll………

Some good films in there....The Exocist, Pulp Fiction and Apocalypse Now should be up there on anyone's list of Top 10 films (although I think The Deerhunter just edges it when it comes to 'nam movies).

I'd disagree though about The Angel's Share.....I thought it was absolute guff. Trainspotting, Local Hero,Gregory's Girl and even Filth are far better movies (IMHO :-)

Edited by Rossy

I'd disagree though about The Angel's Share.....I thought it was absolute guff. Trainspotting, Local Hero,Gregory's Girl and even Filth are far better movies (IMHO :-)

To be fair, I was maybe a bit rash with that one. I would absolutely concede that it was far from the best in terms of general quality. I just think it had some great characters, some excellent patter and has a real "feel good" feel about it. The first three you mention are all undoubtedly outstanding films. Haven't seen Filth. The book was a compelling, if disturbing read and I guess I just didn't fancy seeing it in pictures. I also had difficulty imagining James McAvoy in that role, but by all accounts he was very good.

To be fair, I was maybe a bit rash with that one. I would absolutely concede that it was far from the best in terms of general quality. I just think it had some great characters, some excellent patter and has a real "feel good" feel about it. The first three you mention are all undoubtedly outstanding films. Haven't seen Filth. The book was a compelling, if disturbing read and I guess I just didn't fancy seeing it in pictures. I also had difficulty imagining James McAvoy in that role, but by all accounts he was very good.

Mcavoy is the best thing in it. Brilliant performance

Thriller – Silence of the Lambs

US Comedy – Coming to America

Horror – The Omen

WWII – The Longest Day

Nam – Apolocalypse Now

RomCom - Pretty Woman

Action – Terminator 2

Scottish – Trainspotting

Thriller – Psycho

Horror – The Exorcist

WWII – The Great Escape

Nam – Apolocalypse Now

And drumroll………

Into the Wild is a fantastic film and a great soundtrack too from Mr Vedder. Makes me want to go explore BC again.

Into the Wild is a fantastic film and a great soundtrack too from Mr Vedder. Makes me want to go explore BC again.

Indeed Kirk. The soundtrack was purchased immediately after seeing the film.

Some fantastic performances, not least by Emile Hirsch. Very moving film. Inspiring too.

Dunno, Just like it.... :cry:

I thought it was pretty watchable (and maybe even enjoyable). Although the fact that there are only about 200 words spoken in the film annoyed me a bit...

I just never would've expected someone to list it as one of the best films of all time. All about opinions though, i guess.

I suppose people often judge movies by their enduring appeal...'modern' films are yet to build that up.

For instance both Still Alice and Imitation Game are marvellous films, with superb performances by Juliette Moore and Benedict Cumberthingy, and DDL as Lincoln puts in one of the great all-time character performances, which 100% deservedly won an Oscar. I've watched Lincoln 3 or 4 times and I find it engrossing each time.....it'll become a classic, as will both Still Alice and The Imitation Game.

Some good films in there....The Exocist, Pulp Fiction and Apocalypse Now should be up there on anyone's list of Top 10 films (although I think The Deerhunter just edges it when it comes to 'nam movies).

Aye, I do actually need to watch Lincoln again - it utterly gripped me the first time around, I was expecting to find it a tough 3 hour slog but the performances all round were brilliant.

Don't think I could watch Still Alice again, heartbreaking one that.

Alien.

Just in case nobody has said it yet.