British Open - Page 9 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

British Open

Orraloon

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: Oh ffs take aff the saltire specs ... you know the point i am making

Nothing to do with Saltire specs. I would say the same about Ian Poulter or Paul Casey or Neil Coles. We are just trying educate you on the meaning of "professional golfer" and what "average" means. By definition, to be below average in any subset of golfers would mean that at least 50% of players in that subset are better than you. You chose the term professional golfers. Anybody who has ever player in a tour competition will easily be in the top 5% of professional golfers, so must be well above average. Even if you restrict it to tournament professionals, anybody who has ever won one of these tour competitions or qualified to play in a major will easily be in the top 10% of tournament professionals. When you are watching the Open you are watch the elite of the sport. The vast majority of professional golfers never get anywhere near even qualifying to play in the Open. Never mind winning it.

Here's another measure - Lawrie is 27th on the European Tour all time money list. Make of that what you will, but I'm pretty sure if you did an adjustment for inflation he'd still be top 25-30 (he's above Woosnam but below Molinari for example).

www.europeantour.com/europeantour/stats/career/#uVLH6ho62imq54xi.97

There is no getting away from the fact that Paul Lawrie, in the main, for the last 30 years, is right pish in major championships.

And you are trying to educate me in golf by disputing that :-))

There is no getting away from the fact that Paul Lawrie, in the main, for the last 30 years, is right pish in major championships.

And you are trying to educate me in golf by disputing that :-))

He's been "right pish" but has won one and made the cut in over 50% of the majors he's played in.

Sometimes it's better just to stop havering, rather than continue on with a blinkered viewpoint that is contradicted by hard evidence.

He's been "right pish" but has won one and made the cut in over 50% of the majors he's played in.

Sometimes it's better just to stop havering, rather than continue on with a blinkered viewpoint that is contradicted by hard evidence.

He has one major (that was given to him) and 8 European victories in 30 years

In 30 years you can count on one hand how many majors he has been in contention of not just winning but finishing in the top 10

He won the open 16 years ago and has done fuk all of note since then

But im the one thats blinkered by saying he is average and ignoring hard evidence :wtf:

He has one major (that was given to him) and 8 European victories in 30 years

In 30 years you can count on one hand how many majors he has been in contention of not just winning but finishing in the top 10

He won the open 16 years ago and has done fuk all of note since then

But im the one thats blinkered by saying he is average and ignoring hard evidence :wtf:

It was "given to him"? Why was it "given to him" and no one else in the field? Over the course of 72 holes and play-off, he was the best player. He won the tournament. If it was "given to him", why didn't any of the other players in the field beat him? It's pish like this that totally undermine your argument.

You are ignoring the evidence. He's made the cut in over 50% of the majors he has been in. So in each of those majors he was in the top 50%. Is that "right pish"? If so, i think you'll be alone in thinking someone who holds their own in the company of the very elite of golf is "below average" and performs "right pish".

No one is saying Lawrie is fantastic and a great. Just that he's better than "below average" and has been better than "right pish" in Majors.

It was "given to him"? Why was it "given to him" and no one else in the field? Over the course of 72 holes and play-off, he was the best player. He won the tournament. If it was "given to him", why didn't any of the other players in the field beat him? It's pish like this that totally undermine your argument.

You are ignoring the evidence. He's made the cut in over 50% of the majors he has been in. So in each of those majors he was in the top 50%. Is that "right pish"? If so, i think you'll be alone in thinking someone who holds their own in the company of the very elite of golf is "below average" and performs "right pish".

No one is saying Lawrie is fantastic and a great. Just that he's better than "below average" and has been better than "right pish" in Majors.

Shite - No other player in the history of major golf tournaments has had a total brain freeze like Van de Velde did and it is unlikely anyone ever will again

I made this comment about 4 pages back - "The typical Scottish let down that hasnt really progressed since his Open win" and i have spent four or five pages defending it

This is the problem in Scotland - and Britain as well - and why we have very little sporting success

We accept mediocrity too willingly and without a shadow of a doubt Lawrie is a mediocre championship golfer

He is not bad - he is not brilliant - he is somewhere in between.

To me that has always meant average and i have spent fooking four pages having to explain that to the shortbread Scottish golf mafia FFS

I have wasted too much time - not discussing it further

I was trying to find out also and a wee search suggests it may not be on until 13:45 on BBC ?!! Not good !

Thats shite, i finish work then was hopeing to watch it and kill the boredom.

Shite - No other player in the history of major golf tournaments has had a total brain freeze like Van de Velde did and it is unlikely anyone ever will again

I made this comment about 4 pages back - "The typical Scottish let down that hasnt really progressed since his Open win" and i have spent four or five pages defending it

This is the problem in Scotland - and Britain as well - and why we have very little sporting success

We accept mediocrity too willingly and without a shadow of a doubt Lawrie is a mediocre championship golfer

He is not bad - he is not brilliant - he is somewhere in between.

To me that has always meant average and i have spent fooking four pages having to explain that to the shortbread Scottish golf mafia FFS

I have wasted too much time - not discussing it further

You've ignored every single statistic the shows up that you're talking pish and now your calling folk names and throwing your toys out the pram.

As i said a few pages ago, sometimes it's best to stop havering and attempting to justify your irrationally held viewpoint.

You've ignored every single statistic the shows up that you're talking pish and now your calling folk names and throwing your toys out the pram.

As i said a few pages ago, sometimes it's best to stop havering and attempting to justify your irrationally held viewpoint.

I think youll find the only folk ignoring things are those that are saying Lawrie is not an average golfer but in fact way much better than that

I must have missed all those tournaments and close finishes he had

How did he get on yesterday when the majority of those at the top kept themselves in with a chance ?

And despite the facts backing him up to being average - what do you think the chances are of taking advice from you precious ?

Going back to the golf.....

Looks like there is potential for a lot of big scores today. Some of the early birds have already made some progress up the leaderboard with Mickleson moving to -8 and the amateur Schniederjans up to -9.

I've got Sergio's meltdown pencilled in for around 1530.

How did he get on yesterday when the majority of those at the top kept themselves in with a chance ?

He's currently tied 48th in a tournament featuring the best golfers on the planet.

Average.

He's currently tied 48th in a tournament featuring the best golfers on the planet.

Average.

Would he have been there if not for that win ? I believe the quote from that tournament was "the tournament got the champion it deserved" because it was considered somewhat of a lottery. Average is perhaps a bit harsh but certainly hes not up there in the pantheons so to speak !! Reminds me a bit of when Jonny Herbert won the british grand prix his victory speech shoud've started with "Could I just thank everyone else for Breaking down or crashing"

I was trying to find out also and a wee search suggests it may not be on until 13:45 on BBC ?!! Not good !

Are they having to wait til Pebble Mill is finished?...

Going back to the golf.....

Looks like there is potential for a lot of big scores today. Some of the early birds have already made some progress up the leaderboard with Mickleson moving to -8 and the amateur Schniederjans up to -9.

Would that not mean potential for small scores?...

Edited by Toepoke

Anyway ....

Back to The Open

Ive just checked the weather and it's forecast to get decidedly worse from around 1pm tomorrow

Rain is forecast at that time and the wind is due to get up from what's forecast earlier

Winds between 8-12mph and dry up to 1pm

Rain from 1pm and winds to get up to 16-17mph - Heavy rain around 3pm

With so many players in contention those quite far back at -4 like Mickelson might not be out of it yet if they can shoot a 65/66 and get in before the weather deteriorates

Could definitely be the most exciting and open "open" finish ever

Cough

Mickelson now at -10

Unfortunately too late id say - maybe he can be clubhouse leader and give all those that have bet him at huge odds false hope .....