British Open - Page 7 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

British Open

Orraloon

WTF ???

If anything the britnat media and BBC have bummed up Lawrie deluding everyone into thinking he actually had a chance of winning through the years when he had one good round

If its that to which you refer then yes i fell for it

Don't watch much golf then? That's ok were all friends here.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't watch much golf then? That's ok were all friends here.

Yes i watch a lot

He is murder - and by that i mean distinctly average

Edited by Ally Bongo

WTF ???

If anything the britnat media and BBC have bummed up Lawrie deluding everyone into thinking he actually had a chance of winning through the years when he had one good round

If its that to which you refer then yes i fell for it

One good round? Pretty sure when he won the Open it was over four.

One good round? Pretty sure when he won the Open it was over four.

You do remember how he won the Open ?

VandeVelde.jpg

Edited by Ally Bongo

8 European tour victories including a major and 3 Ryder Cup teams

Aye he's average. :)

In 30 years as a professional

Monty turned pro 2 years later than Lawrie and has 31 European Tour victories

Thanks for making my point :)

Edited by Ally Bongo

He also had to win a 4 hole playoff, birding the last 2 holes

His tour record isn't as good as Monty but that's not a bad thing

I know

Just for the record when i say Lawrie is murder im talking out my pocket from the times i have had a few quid on him

But there is no getting away from the fact that in the world of professional golf he is average - not deflecting from him being a decent guy

Just a bit of perspective offered

(and yes id like to see him win)

In 30 years as a professional

Monty turned pro 2 years later than Lawrie and has 31 European Tour victories

Thanks for making my point :)

You are comparing him to the top European golfer for About a decade. That's not 'making your point'. That's being selective to make your point sound anything other than pish mate. Which it is :)

It wid be awfy boring if we all thought the same though fella so fair s to you.

You do remember how he won the Open ?

VandeVelde.jpg

By shooting a 67 in conditions when only two other players broke 70 and then winning a playoff by three shots? Yeah, I recall.

One good round is really pushing it. I've not said he's one of the great golfers, just that he didn't get the credit for the win and then spent a lot of time on his foundation during which time his golf suffered. His foundation started in 2001, he was top ten on the euro tour in 99,00,01 I think, and won four tournaments in three years. He started going after the tour again in 2011, and won three tournaments. So if he hasn't done the foundation it's not unreasonable to think height have won another seven or eight events and challenged in one or two more majors.

That's all from memory some of the detail might be wrong but its roughly correct

Edited by biffer

I know

Just for the record when i say Lawrie is murder im talking out my pocket from the times i have had a few quid on him

But there is no getting away from the fact that in the world of professional golf he is average - not deflecting from him being a decent guy

I'll agree that he'll be remembered as an average golfer and that's not a criticism

By shooting a 67 in conditions when only two other players broke 70 and then winning a playoff by three shots? Yeah, I recall.

One good round is really pushing it. I've not said he's one of the great golfers, just that he didn't get the credit for the win and then spent a lot of time on his foundation during which time his golf suffered. His foundation started in 2001, he was top ten on the euro tour in 99,00,01 I think, and won four tournaments in three years. He started going after the tour again in 2011, and won three tournaments. So if he hasn't done the foundation it's not unreasonable to think height have won another seven or eight events and challenged in one or two more majors.

That's all from memory some of the detail might be wrong but its roughly correct

It's not roughly correct, it IS correct.

Lawries performance at medinah shows he was far from an average golfer.

As string a showing as you'll see from a Ryder cup player on U.S. soil.

As for this open itself,I have no idea who is gonna win this.

It's mental at the moment.

Edited by dandydunn

Lawries performance at medinah shows he was far from an average golfer.

As string a showing as you'll see from a Ryder cup player on U.S. soil.

As for this open itself,I have no idea who is gonna win this.

It's mental at the moment.

Yeah, he was awesome at Medinah, absolutely bitchslapped Brandt Snedeker who had just won the FedEx Cup.

I was in the stand behind the fourth green where he chopped in. Went mental, obviously.

Edited by biffer

Yeah, he was awesome at Medinah, absolutely bitchslapped Brandt Snedeker who had just won the FedEx Cup.

I was in the stand behind the fourth green where he chopped in. Went mental, obviously.

Did he do that with his chopper? Pretty impressive, right enough.

Did he do that with his chopper? Pretty impressive, right enough.

Feckin autocorrect.

Sergio showing his old weakness - someone who's going to win would have nailed that putt on the eighteenth.

Feckin autocorrect.

Sergio showing his old weakness - someone who's going to win would have nailed that putt on the eighteenth.

Paul Lawrie has missed a couple of those as well. They can't afford to miss these if they want to win.

Paul Lawrie has missed a couple of those as well. They can't afford to miss these if they want to win.

I know.

I've got a tenner on Jordan Spieth btw

Edited by biffer

I know

Over 90% of professional golfers never win a tour event. You do know what the word "average" means don't you?

I'm heading up tomorrow. My boss hasn't said I can't take the day off since I texted him four hours ago, so I'm going.

Going to be one of the big names IMO. But there's a lot of them. Spieth, Harrington, Johnson, Day, Goosen but I reckon Rose will be right there tomorrow evening.