British Open - Page 13 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

British Open

Orraloon

He's still in the ranks of the average golfer. He's got time on his side though.

He is well above average - cant see Lawro finishing 2nd in back to back majors - with or without his Aberdeen top on

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did nobody pick up on the illegal looking tap down of the green on the last play off hole by ZJ?

Not the one he got a ruling for but one about 5 foot shy....he never repaired anything just tapped down the grass.

Did nobody pick up on the illegal looking tap down of the green on the last play off hole by ZJ?

Not the one he got a ruling for but one about 5 foot shy....he never repaired anything just tapped down the grass.

My mate txt and said the exact same thing.

Aye, I was waiting for an anouncent that he was going to be penalised for that. Couldn't believe when I saw him doing it.

I saw the thing you mean but don't know about golf rules, so I didn't realise that was illegal ?

Was he possibly pressing down old plus marks ?

I hope so because I won money on him at the end ! :ok:

OK, ignore my previous post, I guess you mean plug marks? That isn't how you repair a plug mark. Professionals know how to repair plug marks. You don't do it by pressing down on the line of putt.

OK, ignore my previous post, I guess you mean plug marks? That isn't how you repair a plug mark. Professionals know how to repair plug marks. You don't do it by pressing down on the line of putt.

He did several things along the line of the putt so I'm guessing it was the patting down of the ground with his putter (possibly twice?) you mean.

Still didn't know that was a rule but I guess he should.

Surley of Louis thought anything of it he would have said?

Johnson missed the putt anyway...

And?

It's an automatic 2 stroke penalty - the ball travelled directly over the spot he tapped down meaning it was on his line - with the penalty noted his first putt would have been his fifth shot & he should have carded a six for that hole meaning Oost would have won the championship.

I do understand how it was missed - match referee was most probably making his way off the green due to ruling on the other spot ... whilst Oost was concentrating on his own line/putt & Leishman was probably gutted and had switched off.

I rather think he has been a lucky lad and got away with it.

I also seem to remember ZJ had a serious putting issue at the final hole of another tournament a few years back where he hit his putt from the wrong spot - I might be mistaken though.

Edited by Topcat

He did several things along the line of the putt so I'm guessing it was the patting down of the ground with his putter (possibly twice?) you mean.

Still didn't know that was a rule but I guess he should.

Aye it's covered in the first line of the rule 16-1a(i) that I posted above. Pressing down on the line of putt is not allowed - 2 shot penalty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b064ypy3/golf-the-open-2015-final-day-evening

Whilst getting a ruling on another mark on the green he points out another mark (to his caddy?) at 54.37 ... revisiting the mark at 55.12 to press it down - well, well, well, a clear breach of the rule indeed.

Having watched that again I'm not sure he used sufficient pressure to be considered as "pressing anything down". That's one of those grey areas where you would need to delve into the "decisions of golf" (and I cannae be bothered). Still a daft thing to do at any time never mind when you have got a putt to win the open.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few rules guys have got together reviewed what he did and decided it wasn't a breach of the rule. They could still disqualify him after the event, but they won't now.