Stephen O'donnell - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ah, another who decries our league.

I'm not decrying it. That's your assumption. I simply asked a question about what it says about our top league when players would rather go to Luton than Tannadice.

I think your comment implies you don't rate our league.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not decrying it. That's your assumption. I simply asked a question about what it says about our top league when players would rather go to Luton than Tannadice.

I think your comment implies you don't rate our league.

They're going for one thing. Money. Not prestige.

They're going for one thing. Money. Not prestige.

Prestige? Playing for Dundee United is prestigious?

Again I'm not intending to slag off Utd or the league but get a grip! What prestige is there? Seriously?

You're right that there's no prestige playing for Luton but with their crowds it certainly isn't less prestigious then his other offers.

You have a very parochial view of our leagues standing.

Again I'm not intending to slag off Utd or the league but get a grip! What prestige is there? Seriously?

You're right that there's no prestige playing for Luton but with their crowds it certainly isn't less prestigious then his other offers.

Top league on Scotland, playing in cup finals, semi-finals, possibly Europe.

It's purely money and no club in Scotland can compete.

Very sad.

Edited by fringo

And rightly so. Facts don't lie.

Yeah. I mind the facts of Aberdeen beating Groningen and St Johnstone beating Luzern in Europe last season.

Let's get a grip. Moving to Luton is a awful move for o'donnel. If you've ever watched League 2, you'll know how little football is played and what type of players thrive there.

Given the level that he is currently playing at, and the level that he is perhaps likely to ever get to, I see little wrong in going anywhere for money, particularly given that he won't be on all that much of it, relatively speaking and considering the risk of a shortish career. Luton arguably get more exposure than the SPL so are arguably more (or just as) likely to be a stepping stone to a better league these days.

And, FWIW, I consider that the SPFL Premiership is indeed a more prestigious league than League Two in England.

Edited by thewolf_1980

Who said Tannadice was prestigious? Not me. Read what I typed? I said the reason he is going to down there like many others is for money not prestige.

I was surprised he went there, but then again he probably looked at Taylor-Sinclair and thought he was better starting a little lower and trying to build up.

The last thing he would want is to go straight to a Championship club and rot away in the reserves.

That's what ran through my mind too, and possibly O'Donnell's as well.

ATS did great with Thistle and I thought he would hit the ground running at Wigan. He had all the ingredients to be a top class attacking full-back (bar his final delivery, which, in hindsight, may have been one of the reasons why he hasn't featured)

People forget, too, that Luton were a top flight club not all that long ago, and arguably have bigger potential than their current league status suggests.

I'm sad to see SO'D go but good luck to him. Thistle will do well to find as good a replacement.

That's what ran through my mind too, and possibly O'Donnell's as well.

ATS did great with Thistle and I thought he would hit the ground running at Wigan. He had all the ingredients to be a top class attacking full-back (bar his final delivery, which, in hindsight, may have been one of the reasons why he hasn't featured)

People forget, too, that Luton were a top flight club not all that long ago, and arguably have bigger potential than their current league status suggests.

I'm sad to see SO'D go but good luck to him. Thistle will do well to find as good a replacement.

ATS isn't half the player O'Donnell is. He was athletic but had next to no footballing ability. Stephen is a far superior player. Can't see him there for long. Still think it's an utterly bizarre move for him to make.

Who said Tannadice was prestigious? Not me. Read what I typed? I said the reason he is going to down there like many others is for money not prestige.

Which implies Luton is less prestigious than his other options, one of which was Tannadice supposedly.

It should also be remembered that prestige doesn't put food on the table or get you a nice car/house.

Weren't there similar gasps of disbelief when the Aberdeen youngster went to that diddy club Bournemouth??

For completely different reasons and the gasps of "disbelief" were in no way related to "prestige" but more in annoyance.

If O'Donnell improves his defensive capabilities a bit more there's no reason he won't move up the Leagues with or without Luton. Personally I think he has more potential as an attacking right sided midfield player.

If he needs to improve to play higher than League 2, then he can't be very good.

Weren't there similar gasps of disbelief when the Aberdeen youngster went to that diddy club Bournemouth??

The 'diddy club Bournemouth' are now in the premier league and whilst that is surprising their promotion to the Championship with a young manager who had a reputation for developing players and playing good football was not. Ryan Fraser got a lot of questioning whether he'd made the right move but those who knew a little about Bournemouth and Eddie Howe would have understood why. I'm not sure that Luton will get back to the Championship so quickly and I'm not sure there manager has the same go ahead reputation, having said that he did have Craig Mackail Smith and Matt Ritchie on loan at Dagenham so he has alredy helped some Scottish internationals in their careers.