England 2018 - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I have never claimed England were claiming the moral high ground. They played the game they lost I can cope with that. Russia played it better. Qatar on the other hand is massively different.

Did I say you did? However plenty of your countrymen are doing exactly that.

Funnily enough, I don't hear too much comment from Andy Anson who as CEO of the England bid branded Panorama as unpatriotic for first raising allegations of corruption just before the votes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9201248.stm

I know he's long since moved on but an apology from the FA would seem to be in order.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2018 is going to be in Russia, absolutely no doubt.

I would like to see 2022 taken off Qatar but I doubt it will happen. However, at the very least FIFA and the sponsors need to put them under pressure to improve conditions for the poor folk working out there.

I've no problem with Russia keeping the 2018 tournament, England will have to wait their turn. Especially with the net being cast wider for World Cup hosts. It's probably now only going to be in Europe a maximum of 10 times a century...

Has anyone seen any 'reliable' evidence re: the deaths of hundreds of workers in Qatar? Only ask as I read this article earlier and two sides to every story comes to mind. I'm always very sceptical of accepting western media's view on things without other evidence and this backs up my thoughts. Who to believe! Not every thing is black and white.

http://dohanews.co/qatar-authorities-debunk-media-reports-about-world-cup-deaths/

Has anyone seen any 'reliable' evidence re: the deaths of hundreds of workers in Qatar? Only ask as I read this article earlier and two sides to every story comes to mind. I'm always very sceptical of accepting western media's view on things without other evidence and this backs up my thoughts. Who to believe! Not every thing is black and white.

http://dohanews.co/qatar-authorities-debunk-media-reports-about-world-cup-deaths/

couldnt agree more, 57 people died whilst building the forth rail bridge

iv never heard about anybody wanting it boycotted

Yeah, who to believe.

That original graphic, that the article is criticising, I think only includes Indian workers. As the governments of other countries like, I think, the Phillipines don't keep records. So the figure could be higher, could be lower.

When I was over there, we spoke to a lot of folk, service staff, taxi drivers as well, who spoke openly about the people dying on the construction sites, and in the accommodation blocks.

A big thing was during Ramadan, in crazy heat, workers would be out all day slaving away, with difficult access to water - as you weren't supposed to be seen eating or drinking in public during daylight

couldnt agree more, 57 people died whilst building the forth rail bridge

iv never heard about anybody wanting it boycotted

None of us were alive when that was built! What a stupid comment to make and a desperate one to defend Qatar.

None of us were alive when that was built! What a stupid comment to make and a desperate one to defend Qatar.

Not to mention construction knowledge and standards were no where near as sophisticated as now. Qatar can't even hide behind the "Too expensive to apply HSE properly" excuse as they're rich as feck.

Being paid 45p an hour if you're lucky, having your passport confiscated, having access to food and water restricted, being put into digs and having the cost taken off of your lowly wage, not being allowed to travel or to have family members travel to you, etc. etc. yeah sounds like a haven for human rights to me.

Being paid 45p an hour if you're lucky, having your passport confiscated, having access to food and water restricted, being put into digs and having the cost taken off of your lowly wage, not being allowed to travel or to have family members travel to you, etc. etc. yeah sounds like a haven for human rights to me.

Don't tell this to Qatar-defendant Dan Cake...

Edited by John_B81

ill make my judgement once iv been there

not on the basis of media outlets with an agenda

Is that how you make all your judgements?

Do you reckon Hitler was probably ok, seeing as you've never met him?

Is that how you make all your judgements?

Do you reckon Hitler was probably ok, seeing as you've never met him?

Maybe the media had an agenda against him, Saddam Hussain & Osama Bin Laden too...

so what was qatar like when you were there?

Bad, if you were Indian or Filipino.

I left the place a couple years ago, one of the reasons being seeing how badly people were treated. Living in slum blocks, bussed out at the crack of dawn to work all day in the blazing sun, then bussed back to the slum accommodation at night again, exhausted.

Low pay, awful working conditions, no legal way of leaving the country without their employers permission (which even I had problems with when I wanted to leave)

Pretty grim

I left the place a couple years ago, one of the reasons being seeing how badly people were treated. Living in slum blocks, bussed out at the crack of dawn to work all day in the blazing sun, then bussed back to the slum accommodation at night again, exhausted.

Low pay, awful working conditions, no legal way of leaving the country without their employers permission (which even I had problems with when I wanted to leave)

Pretty grim

Christ, Maq. Your job sounded hellish :lol:

Pretty grim

sad

ill still be going to the football tho

What folk seem to forget is that Russia's bid was better than England's. Not sure if the bid websites are still live but this was definitely the strongest so I wasn't surprised when this was revealed as the 2018 host.

Qatar on the other hand...

sad

ill still be going to the football tho

I went to the football there as well.

Brazil v Egypt friendly. It was chaos, security was a shambles, traffic was horrendous as the roads couldn't cope with any kind of volume, cars were just ditched randomly at the side of the road, or in a massive open space, when we tried to leave we had to wait about 90mins for all the cars that had just been ditched surrounding ours to get out of our way.

I'm sure everything will be fine for 2022 though

?