Polls - Page 28 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The total of Undecided + Refused + Won't Vote has fallen 1% between the last two TNS polls.

I am worried about this block - are they trying to figure out the best way to shut out the SNP? Even if they aren't they are a significant proportion - is it usually this high a proportion?

Survation/Daily Record

Scottish Parliament (constituency):

• SNP - 54%
  • Lab - 24%
  • Con - 13%
  • Lib - 5%
  • Grn - 2%
  • UKIP - 2%
List:
  • SNP - 45%
  • Lab - 21%
  • Con - 11%
  • Grn - 10%
  • Lib - 6%
  • UKIP - 5%
Seats:
  • SNP - 72 (+3; Majority of 7)
  • Lab - 28 (-9)
  • Con - 11 (-4)
  • Grn - 11 (+9)
  • Lib - 6 (+1)
  • UKIP - 1 (+1)
Pro-independence: 83 (+12)

Pro-union: 46 (-12)

Pro-independence majority of 18.

Looks like a lot of folk will do what i intend to, vote SNP in first vote and Green in the second.

I am worried about this block - are they trying to figure out the best way to shut out the SNP? Even if they aren't they are a significant proportion - is it usually this high a proportion?

Not sure of the top level numbers but looks pretty similar to 2010.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a9eRFBXAs_Co&pos=9

Obviously the Scottish position is very different this year but I doubt all the undecideds are pondering tactical voting wheels looking at how to vote out the SNP, there will be some, there will be others who are wavering towards voting SNP. There are also a lot of people who genuinely don't give it any attention until the last couple of days and then make a decision and there will be plenty who end up not voting.

I think with this level of polling, you are getting to the position that even if all undecided voters were to vote to put out the SNP, they would still win.

Apparently this is the usual amount of undecideds. Also, when undecideds are pressed, 42% will consider voting Labour, 34% SNP, 29% Con, 24% Lib Dem. The numbers exceed 100% because some will consider voting more than one party - hence them beiong undecided - but going by precedent, most undecideds won't vote at all.

Exactly what Im doing.

And I hope the Greens make a huge play of securing a high list vote next year.

I planned something similar. James on Scot Goes Pop warns against this, but I personally care more for the total of pro-indy MSPs rather than just SNP MSPs, and can't see how his reasoning leads to a reduction in pro-indy MSPs. Willing to be persuaded of that argument, but I am not yet.

The only argument in its favour I can see is the hope that we would get a Green MEP in 2014, but instead the pro-indy vote was split and we got UKIP instead :worried:

Also I planned to vote Green in the first independent Holyrood elections but now I think, we lost the referendum, but why not vote for the party I actually want anyway.

Still SNP for Westminster though.

I planned something similar. James on Scot Goes Pop warns against this, but I personally care more for the total of pro-indy MSPs rather than just SNP MSPs, and can't see how his reasoning leads to a reduction in pro-indy MSPs. Willing to be persuaded of that argument, but I am not yet.

The only argument in its favour I can see is the hope that we would get a Green MEP in 2014, but instead the pro-indy vote was split and we got UKIP instead :worried:

Also I planned to vote Green in the first independent Holyrood elections but now I think, we lost the referendum, but why not vote for the party I actually want anyway.

Still SNP for Westminster though.

Agreed. IMO, given the level of support the SNP will attract in the constituency vote, the potency of an SNP list vote is much reduced. Im pretty sure that big wins in the constituency vote means you have to win twice as many more votes in the list to pick up more seats.

Im not particularly interested in total SNP dominance so Im more than happy to see a big block of Green MSPs next year. Im more interested in squeezing Scottish Labour than I am in seeing maximum SNP seats.

Don't be surprised if there's another 'record turnout' from the jocks because they were 'energised by the referendum' and don't be surprised if this correlates with a late surge for labour that wasn't picked up in the polls due to a 'large portion of undecideds' and a 'silent majority'.

Don't be surprised if there's another 'record turnout' from the jocks because they were 'energised by the referendum' and don't be surprised if this correlates with a late surge for labour that wasn't picked up in the polls due to a 'large portion of undecideds' and a 'silent majority'.

And postal votes. Don't forget the postal votes. Has anybody asked Ruthie what the count is on them yet. Whatever happened to that investigation anyway? Swept under the carpet?

Curran apparently stays in a large villa in Newlands, which, while not technically a Tory area (this is Glasgow we're talking about), isn't in her constituency and is generally regarded as good deal leafier than almost anywhere that is.

Sturgeon stays in Curran's constituency or st least very close to the border of it.

Off topic, I have 6 postal votes sealed and signed from my family, can anyone tell me if I can hand in the 6 of them on the day of election or can you only hand in your own one,

why don't you post then that is the whole point of postal votes ffs