Polls - Page 30 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Anyone extrapolating canvass returns needs their head checked. Or a reminder of September 2014. Canvass returns are misleading for two key reasons:

1. Some voters tell you what you want to hear, just to make you pi$$ off.

2. Canvass returns fail to account for the near majority who are either out, ignored the door bell or having a w*nk in bed.

The only canvass returns Im interested in hearing about, are those that also include "no-answer".

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone extrapolating canvass returns needs their head checked. Or a reminder of September 2014. Canvass returns are misleading for two key reasons:

1. Some voters tell you what you want to hear, just to make you pi$$ off.

2. Canvass returns fail to account for the near majority who are either out, ignored the door bell or having a w*nk in bed.

The only canvass returns Im interested in hearing about, are those that also include "no-answer".

agreed

the polls are delightful

but there is strong evidence that on the day......folks change their minds!!

Devils advocate here.

Are you absolutely certain that these people are not just telling you what you want to hear ?

That is obviously a concern however another factor that is also overlooked is that I'd be surprised if any canvassing was being done of those that the SNP know for certain are going to vote for them.

I wonder how many of the seats are very close?

With good results in these close seats, the SNP "could" win every seat, but if there are a lot of marginals & they all just fall the other way then that could make a massive difference.

Edited by Glasgowmancity

I wonder how many of the seats are very close?

With good results in these close seats, the SNP "could" win every seat, but if there are a lot of marginals & they all just fall the other way then that could make a massive difference.

Labour have huge majorities in a lot of seats. I'd be amazed if the SNP win all of these.

Seeing Curran, Alexander, Davidson and, especially, Murphy all unemployed on May 8th would be absolutely fantastic though.

I suspect Murphy will hang on. Although every day that goes by and he makes more and more of a buffoon of himself, i'm starting to think that he may lose his seat too.

Labour have huge majorities in a lot of seats. I'd be amazed if the SNP win all of these.

Seeing Curran, Alexander, Davidson and, especially, Murphy all unemployed on May 8th would be absolutely fantastic though.

I suspect Murphy will hang on. Although every day that goes by and he makes more and more of a buffoon of himself, i'm starting to think that he may lose his seat too.

Purely from looking at posters around this area, I think Curran will struggle.

Poor wee Jim.

Jim Murphy: "This is another bad poll for the Scottish Labour party, it’s another good poll of course for the SNP, and it’s another fantastic poll for the David Cameron.

"David Cameron can’t beat the Labour party here in Scotland, so someone else has to do it for him.

"That way David Cameron gets to cling on to power because he’s the leader of the biggest party, the likelihood is David Cameron will remain Prime Minister, not because Scotland went out and voted for the Tory party but because Scotland voted against Labour for the SNP and reduced the chances of Labour forming the government.

"There’s much still to play for in this election a week’s a long time in politics and we’ll keep going with a huge amount of energy and a determination to turn much of this round."

Has the dopey c'nt not realised this tactic isnt working.

SNP 54

Labour 20

Tory 17

Id laugh like feck if the Tories overtook Labour. Cant believe Id ever have wanted that.

Edited by kumnio

Jim Murphy: "This is another bad poll for the Scottish Labour party, it’s another good poll of course for the SNP, and it’s another fantastic poll for the David Cameron.

"David Cameron can’t beat the Labour party here in Scotland, so someone else has to do it for him.

"That way David Cameron gets to cling on to power because he’s the leader of the biggest party, the likelihood is David Cameron will remain Prime Minister, not because Scotland went out and voted for the Tory party but because Scotland voted against Labour for the SNP and reduced the chances of Labour forming the government.

"There’s much still to play for in this election a week’s a long time in politics and we’ll keep going with a huge amount of energy and a determination to turn much of this round."

It would be hugely amusing if Labour were to marginally get the most seats and SNP were then able to tell Murphy to go and form the Government without their support .... given that the largest party apparently get to form the Government and it's apparently as simple as that according to Murphy and he won't be wanting any SNP support.

Edited by AlfieMoon

Poor wee Jim.

Has the dopey c'nt not realised this tactic isnt working.

Clearly not. Although they don't have anything else. They know that they can't beat the SNP on policy with the Scottish electorate. They know they can't beat Sturgeon of popularity of character. So all they have is

- "the biggest party forms the government",

- "Vote SNP, get Tory"; and

- "The SNP just want a 2nd referendum"

All they have is damage limitation. And the electorate are now bright enough to see through the scare tactics.

Guest flumax

Anyone else hoping Nicola makes a wee trip up to Orkney & Shetland during the closing days of the campaign?

Would rather she toured 10+ marginals in the central belt in oneday, than take a day out of the campaign for one seat which will absolutely stay Libdem

Would rather she toured 10+ marginals in the central belt in oneday, than take a day out of the campaign for one seat which will absolutely stay Libdem

Yeah you are probably right... Although it would be nice to see Carmichael getting his jotters it probably won't happen no matter what the SNP threw at it.

Roll forward 10 days until after the election.

If the SNP get 40 seats, that would be game-changing. But this will be spun as a 'crash in support' for the SNP given the current reporting of the unbelievable (meant in the truly literal sense) polls showing 50+ seats.

We saw how the 55/45 margin in the referendum was reported as being 'decisive'. Yet a 40/19 majority is bound to be reported as disastrous for the SNP.

The majority of the mainstream news media in this country is rotten to the core and the sooner that people stop trusting them, the better.

If the SNP win 55 seats on 45% of the vote, Im going to feel like Hurley in Lost.

Target for me is still a Scottish majority - 30 seats. And a couple of scalps in Dougie Alexander and Margaret Curran. Regardless of the polling, if the SNP get more than 40 seats, there's no way the press could spin it as disappointing, regardless of how hard they tried.