Barry Ferguson - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Barry Ferguson

Collins appears more cultured and ambitious to most because he went to France and experienced a different way of life. Also, when he left Scotland he stayed away, moving to England after Monaco, rather than returning to Scotland.

There is a perception that Ferguson never wanted to leave his comfort zone of Ibrox, and never really showed the ambition to try new things and immediately returned to Ibrox as soon as the opportunity arose.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with Ferguson it's frustrating that he never fulfilled the potential he showed in 1999-2000.

He put the wife and family first didn't he? not wanting to move them away from Hamilton?

It would be easy to criticise that but I've never been put in that position.

with Ferguson it's frustrating that he never fulfilled the potential he showed in 1999-2000.

He put the wife and family first didn't he? not wanting to move them away from Hamilton?

It would be easy to criticise that but I've never been put in that position.

They struggled quite badly when they first moved.

I know that it was a huge factor in him coming back up the road.

He done a really good interview for BBC radio Scotland. (probably over a year ago).

He got asked about his behaviour after boozegate.

He admitted his regret and that he was a Pratt. But he still has no idea why he behaved that way. I think its something that will always haunt him, he was cringing just talking about it.

Never understood the Ned comments? He comes across in interviews softly spoken and polite. I assume it may be because he was such a moaner on the pitch.

Would'nt mind if Strachan invited him to the next squad meeting to help out with coaching.

There's nothing embarrassing about a player being attached to a certain club. Strange comment

I'd say frustrating rather than embarrassing. So many of our young players could've been so much better if they'd resisted the pull of the OF and the goldfish bowl it brings. Even when Ferguson went south he came back citing homesickness did he not?

The ned stuff some people are surprised about were a number of incidents that happened when he was a young player. He was involved in a couple of fights in pubs and then there was his behaviour during and after an Old Firm game in 2000 (Celtic 6 - Rangers 2) which was very "neddy" to say the least.

Although I'm not Ferguson's biggest fan, it should be said that he was just a daft youngster at the time and as the years went on he matured a bit. At least he never indulged the Orange loving kunts like John Brown (a nasty anti-Catholic bigot as I have found out myself) or Andy Goram did.

I think Ferguson was very much like Beckham - they looked good players when they were in superior teams to the opposition. Stick any of them in against decent sides and both were found wanting - easy for opposition to play through them. whenever they had time on the ball to stroke it around that suited them.

Ferguson in a Scotland team was mostly pish.

The ned stuff some people are surprised about were a number of incidents that happened when he was a young player. He was involved in a couple of fights in pubs and then there was his behaviour during and after an Old Firm game in 2000 (Celtic 6 - Rangers 2) which was very "neddy" to say the least.

Although I'm not Ferguson's biggest fan, it should be said that he was just a daft youngster at the time and as the years went on he matured a bit. At least he never indulged the Orange loving kunts like John Brown (a nasty anti-Catholic bigot as I have found out myself) or Andy Goram did.

When were these couple of fights you are talking about? The only incident can remember was when he went out bevvying in his Rangers tracksuit when we got humped 6-2. Think it was in Bothwell somewhere. Even at that I don't think it was much of a fight. Him and his pal got chased up the road after an altercation with some Tims.

He was widely criticised at the time for being out drinking in his Rangers tracksuit anyway but after an OF game it was just plain idiotic. Genuinely can't remember him being in fights though?

I always thought his ned tag started after a very early tv interview. He said 'know what I mean' before and after just about every sentence and sounded like......well.....a ned :)

Most fans recall his early Scotland tenure when it appeared he couldn't be bothered. Regular call offs and appeared for der huns next game. He came on to a bit of a game but shamed himself as captain. Let's not rewrite history. A decent player but no more in a Scotland context and couldn't lace Collins,McCallister or Fletchers boots.

When were these couple of fights you are talking about? The only incident can remember was when he went out bevvying in his Rangers tracksuit when we got humped 6-2. Think it was in Bothwell somewhere. Even at that I don't think it was much of a fight. Him and his pal got chased up the road after an altercation with some Tims.

That was one of two that I can remember. There was another incident very similar in nature about a year after that but I don't think the polis ever charged anyone over it. On both occasions there's conflicting accounts of what happened, some say Ferguson and his mates were responsible and others say it was some Celtic fans that started it. Feck knows anyway. At least he grew out of it quickly.

Collins had a very good left foot and worked hard but he couldn't control the tempo of a game like Ferguson.

Ferguson could only slow a game down by keeping the ball passing side to side when losing and in need of goals he was never able to raise the tempo and still played slow sideways balls that were of no help. I rarely remember him playing great forward defence splitting passes or even intelligent runs forward beyond the strikers. As players at the start of their careers I'd rather a Collins, McAllister or Darren Fletcher in my team before Ferguson

Edited by Jagtag

Most fans recall his early Scotland tenure when it appeared he couldn't be bothered. Regular call offs and appeared for der huns next game. He came on to a bit of a game but shamed himself as captain. Let's not rewrite history. A decent player but no more in a Scotland context and couldn't lace Collins,McCallister or Fletchers boots.

You were doing well up until the end there.

Ferguson could only slow a game down by keeping the ball passing side to side when losing and in need of goals he was never able to raise the tempo and still played slow sideways balls that were of no help. I rarely remember him playing great forward defence splitting passes or even intelligent runs forward beyond the strikers. As players at the start of their careers I'd rather a Collins, McAllister or Darren Fletcher in my team before Ferguson

This reveals a lack of understanding of football.

Fair enough, let's not rewrite history - McAllister stunk the place out just about every time he played for Scotland - Let's not pretend otherwise just because the TA as an entity still what to wallow in a collective guilt trip cos he got booed at Parkhead

This reveals a lack of understanding of football.

I have a very good understanding of football and have watched and studied many a great midfielder able to control games by keeping possession and slowing games down or injecting pace and urgency depending on the situation. Ferguson however was a decent player and no more.

That was one of two that I can remember. There was another incident very similar in nature about a year after that but I don't think the polis ever charged anyone over it. On both occasions there's conflicting accounts of what happened, some say Ferguson and his mates were responsible and others say it was some Celtic fans that started it. Feck knows anyway. At least he grew out of it quickly.

So not a 'number of incidents' then? :)

Just kidding, like you I've heard different versions of the Bothwell street incident. And I agree he seemed to shape up pretty quickly in that respect. Certainly not a ned imo.

Agree that Mcallister was better, Collins a different player and one I rated highly, but can't agree with Fletcher. Not even on the same page in terms of ability, although it's obvious that Fletchers attitude and application are streets ahead of Fergusons.

Fair enough, let's not rewrite history - McAllister stunk the place out just about every time he played for Scotland - Let's not pretend otherwise just because the TA as an entity still what to wallow in a collective guilt trip cos he got booed at Parkhead

McAllister from late 1990 until 1993ish was one of Scotland's best players, and when he played we would play well.

The "one step forward, two steps back" approach of everything going through McAllister drove me nuts, but we were a pretty hard team to beat during this period.

Brown brought him back far to early in a far to vital game, and not long after he had his Indian Summer of his career at Liverpool, when we were crying out for such a player at international level to keep things tidy in midfield (Ferguson didn't really come into things until 2000ish after Wembley when people started to take note).

Not how I remember him as he drove his team to near glory v World Champions in 2007 in an inspirational performance. This was just a month after another brilliant performance when he partnered Paul Hartley as we held it together to survive in Paris, this time in a classy role staying calm in front of the defence.

Two great nights - pity about the boozegate antics - still can't forgive him that