Stv Debate - Page 15 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest when I saw the photos I thought it might well be the same woman. Not sure obviously, but certainly a resemblance. Don't care though, even if it was her (and I'm perfectly happy to accept that it isn't), then she shouldn't be on the end of any abuse from cretins on social media. Fair enough highlight any dishonesty in portraying an activist as an 'undecided' when it occurs (and it does), but play the ball not the man/woman

Edited by Pool Q

I imagine he's also the type to share Facebook posts saying "this persons a paedo... Or steals dugs!... Or supports Labour".

You'd like to think that his carer would be monitoring his internet usage more closely.

I used to say it's the standard of press that is the biggest problem in society, but if you're falling for this sort of thing, it's gullibility that is a problem, can't be blaming someone for beleiving the shyte in a paper then go on full blast about this, you have the same problem as them.

Now you are getting abusive Pondlife.

Nah. If I wanted to get abusive I'd say something like "you're a stark raving mad lunatic, and a fecking too".

I won't though :)

I used to say it's the standard of press that is the biggest problem in society, but if you're falling for this sort of thing, it's gullibility that is a problem, can't be blaming someone for beleiving the shyte in a paper then go on full blast about this, you have the same problem as them.

Yes there are gullible and vicious on both/all sides and that is regrettable. This could be blamed on education/upbringing.

But - since you mentioned the press - I think it's reasonable to say the media is still disproportionately on the right, disproportionately reflecting views from south of the border and disproportionately unionist. This means that the gullible will be disproportionately gulled towards accepting those points of view, and the vicious on the other sides will be disproportionately hauled over the coals for it.

I think this is a problem for democracy - you could call a democratic deficit - which is not news to anyone on the receiving end of it but it is almost never mentioned or admitted by those on the right/south/unionist positions.

Whenever Salmond mentioned it, he was ridiculed for being a sore loser. When people protested at BBC HQ, they were called thugs. When Sturgeon was framed then called a liar for denying it, people shrugged it off. When a top civil servant said normal rules didn't apply for the referendum, business continued as usual.

You'd imagine hell would freeze over before anyone like Andrew Neil would ever admit anything was amiss. But I could be wrong. Let's see if / how he handles the events of This Week tonight...