Why Is Easter A Different Date Each Year - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Why Is Easter A Different Date Each Year

depends how well the profits have been for nestle and cadbury...last year was poor so they brought it forward into the same tax year

more important though does anyone these days know what they are celebrating?

Edited by JasMc1973

can any one please tell me why easter is on a different date each year unlike say christmas get slightly confused as Easter changes each year so perhaps some kind person on here could maybe explain that one cheers

Christmas doesn't have to fall on a Sunday whereas Easter Sunday does would you believe?

There are two dates that I'll never forget.

1. Glasgow Fair Saturday falls on the Saturday in July whose day number ends with "teenth"

2. Easter is held on the first Sunday after the first full moon occurring on or after the vernal equinox. Easter is delayed by 1 week if the full moon is on a Sunday.

Simple really.

Edited by Flure

can any one please tell me why easter is on a different date each year unlike say christmas get slightly confused as Easter changes each year so perhaps some kind person on here could maybe explain that one cheers

That would be an ecumenical matter

But seriously (ish)...

if you mean why are they different - why one is fixed date (any day of week) while the other is fixed set of days of the week.... - good luck with that one.

There are two dates that I'll never forget.

1. Glasgow Fair Saturday falls on the Saturday in July whose day number ends with "teenth"

2. Easter is held on the first Sunday after the first full moon occurring on or after the vernal equinox. Easter is delayed by 1 week if the full moon is on a Sunday.

Simple really.

thanks yes you are correct sir

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2010/apr/03/easter-pagan-symbolism

In an ironic twist, the Cybele cult flourished on today's Vatican Hill. Cybele's lover Attis, was born of a virgin, died and was reborn annually. This spring festival began as a day of blood on Black Friday, rising to a crescendo after three days, in rejoicing over the resurrection. There was violent conflict on Vatican Hill in the early days of Christianity between the Jesus worshippers and pagans who quarrelled over whose God was the true, and whose the imitation. What is interesting to note here is that in the ancient world, wherever you had popular resurrected god myths, Christianity found lots of converts. So, eventually Christianity came to an accommodation with the pagan Spring festival. Although we see no celebration of Easter in the New Testament, early church fathers celebrated it, and today many churches are offering "sunrise services" at Easter – an obvious pagan solar celebration. The date of Easter is not fixed, but instead is governed by the phases of the moon – how pagan is that?

All the fun things about Easter are pagan. Bunnies are a leftover from the pagan festival of Eostre, a great northern goddess whose symbol was a rabbit or hare. Exchange of eggs is an ancient custom, celebrated by many cultures. Hot cross buns are very ancient too. In the Old Testament we see the Israelites baking sweet buns for an idol, and religious leaders trying to put a stop to it. The early church clergy also tried to put a stop to sacred cakes being baked at Easter. In the end, in the face of defiant cake-baking pagan women, they gave up and blessed the cake instead.

Well Christmas is Jesus' birthday so they can't exactly move it can they! How would you like it if your birthday was a different date each year!!

Easter is held on the first Sunday after the first full moon occurring on or after the vernal equinox. Easter is delayed by 1 week if the full moon is on a Sunday.

Simple really.

Aye that's it, to do with the Crucifixion taking place on the first full moon after Passover I believe the story goes...