Match Thread - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Match Thread

ParisInAKilt

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a great performance but it was never going to be. Gibraltar had one aim and that was to make it as difficult and awkward as possible to find a way past them. And they did it no bad. Why should they open up and allow us to play? It was up yo is to break them down and we did that six times without being anywhere near our best.

It was always gonna be a frustrating game to watch and yo be honest it panned out about how I expected. Remember we don't have the world class players at our disposal that some countries do, but we worked hard and earned a decent victory without looking like the world beaters that we aren't anyway.

A bit of perspective needed here guys. Poor game all round and not pretty but we put two more past them than Germany (who are world beaters) could and realistically could've had a couple more too.

I'm disappointed overall too, but it was a no win situation for us. Job done though, three points in the bag and now on to Dublin.

First "perspective" post. Take a bow.

Not a great performance but it was never going to be. Gibraltar had one aim and that was to make it as difficult and awkward as possible to find a way past them. And they did it no bad. Why should they open up and allow us to play? It was up yo is to break them down and we did that six times without being anywhere near our best.

It was always gonna be a frustrating game to watch and yo be honest it panned out about how I expected. Remember we don't have the world class players at our disposal that some countries do, but we worked hard and earned a decent victory without looking like the world beaters that we aren't anyway.

A bit of perspective needed here guys. Poor game all round and not pretty but we put two more past them than Germany (who are world beaters) could and realistically could've had a couple more too.

I'm disappointed overall too, but it was a no win situation for us. Job done though, three points in the bag and now on to Dublin.

Post of the thread. A bit of realism. :ok:

Although credit goes out to Fletcher, I still thought a Premier League striker should be doing more against policemen and labourers. But, he has scored a hatrick. The last one was a nice finish and hopefully he might gain some heart from that.

Bannan was the difference when he came on. I wasn't impressed with Brown, Hutton or Ritchie today. Brown needs to lay off of the kebabs and waken the heck up a little.

Also, so much for Strachan saying everybody in the squad would gain some game time over these two games. :wink2:

Fletcher hat-trick? Check

Naismith goal? Check

High scoreline and 3 points? Check.

I think we got everything I asked for before the game. Not too bothered about conceding, in fact, I'm happy for Gibraltar.

Bonus: Barry Bannan showing us why we were drooling over him when he first broke into the team. Phenomenal performance.

Fletcher hat-trick? Check

Naismith goal? Check

High scoreline and 3 points? Check.

I think we got everything I asked for before the game. Not too bothered about conceding, in fact, I'm happy for Gibraltar.

Bonus: Barry Bannan showing us why we were drooling over him when he first broke into the team. Phenomenal performance.

This. It was a bit hairy at times but we now have a better goal difference than Germany (and a better goal difference in that game). We tried 3 at the back, it was bold, it didnt really work, shit happens.

I remember when we didn't even play a striker in some games. I was at the Liechtenstein game and remember playing the faroes.

6/10, 3 points, move on.

Thought although it was a game he was never going to shine Broonie was brutal. Looked off the pace and totally off colour. Hopefully out of his system for Dublin.

He pretty much had to play as a CB in the 1st half.

I've always said you really notice Brown at his best when the rest of the team are struggling and need someone to take the game by the scruff of the neck. We didn't really need that today, so we never seen him at his best. No big deal. You never have all 11 players playing well at the same time.

Nobody (except Bannan) was at their best today, otherwise I think it could have been double figures

Difficult what to make of all that today. Pretty poor performance but we still end up with 6 goals and the first hat trick in 46 years. Just shows how dire Gibraltar really are. The back 3 with only one recognised centre half didn't work. We looked exposed every time they attacked in the 1st half. To be fair it was worth trying in a game like that and now Strachan knows it's a non starter.

I'd have played Fletcher rather than Brown. That wasn't the sort of game where we needed a headless chicken. Brown's effective against better opposition but we needed someone with a better range of passing today.

Bannan made a huge difference when he came on. Until then the 2nd half had been pedestrian at best. Both sides looked happy to leave it at 4-1.

Not a great performance but it was never going to be. Gibraltar had one aim and that was to make it as difficult and awkward as possible to find a way past them. And they did it no bad. Why should they open up and allow us to play? It was up to us to break them down and we did that six times without being anywhere near our best. Normally we struggle to break down poor teams.

It was always gonna be a frustrating game to watch and to be honest it panned out about how I expected. Remember we don't have the world class players at our disposal that some countries do, but we worked hard and earned a decent victory without looking like the world beaters that we aren't anyway.

Well said sir.

If that was the Faroes, Lichtenstein, or a decent minnow, we would have been in deep trouble.

We were lucky with the first 3 goals. A bit of naiveity from their keeper and Fletcher's first goal, a better keeper might have got.

Agree that this was the game to try that formation, it didn't work and now Strach will know not to try it again.

Gibraltar are a poor side. The worst in Europe and although we won 6-1, it was a turgid, difficult affair. Lots of misplaced passes, co-ordination quite poor when in threatning positions.

Saying that, it's a no-win situation, we got the 3pts, scored some goals, and now we move on to Dublin. If we get a point or 3 in Ireland, this game will be forgotten.

The main thing - we won.

Poor performance and just went to sleep letting them get the goal. To be fair they had a good go and looked OK at times. Poor performances from brown, Maloney,anya and Robertson. And Richie is rank, get him home now. Thought Naisy, fletcher and Rhodes when he came on all made great runs constantly and were not picked put from the back nearly enough if at all, really poor distribution from back and midfield. Thought bannan was brilliant when he came on, made a huge difference, anyone who doesn't rate him is mad.

Tacticts wise why did we need a defender on at half time? Thought levein was back with that one. And why take Naismith off, he was great today again. Disappointed not to see Russell either.

We got the win which is all that's needed but even Stracham wasn't happy post match.

Poor performance and just went to sleep letting them get the goal. To be fair they had a good go and looked OK at times. Poor performances from brown, Maloney,anya and Robertson. And Richie is flipping rank, get him home now. Thought Naisy, fletcher and Rhodes when he came on all made great runs constantly and were not picked put from the back nearly enough if at all, really poor distribution from back and midfield. Thought bannan was brilliant when he came on, made a huge difference, anyone who doesn't rate him is mad.

Tacticts wise why did we need a defender on at half time? Thought levein was back with that one. And why take Naismith off, he was great today again. Disappointed not to see Russell either.

We got the win which is all that's needed but even Stracham wasn't happy post match.

We needed a defender on at half-time as the defensive line-up at the start with one centre-back just wasn't working. Naismith was (to me) looking a wee bit tired so was hooked.

We needed a defender on at half-time as the defensive line-up at the start with one centre-back just wasn't working. Naismith was (to me) looking a wee bit tired so was hooked.

I don't think we did need another defender, if we stopped giving the ball away so needlessly and played football the way we can and have recently it would have been fine.

I thought Maloney looked note knackered than Naisy tbh.

I don't think we did need another defender, if we stopped giving the ball away so needlessly and played football the way we can and have recently it would have been fine.

I thought Maloney looked note knackered than Naisy tbh.

Nah the goal they scored showed up the wrongness of the formation. The team just never looked comfortable with it at the back. We got caught with our pants down too often in the first half. Perhaps Maloney did but think he wanted a look at Rhodes, took into account Maloney was more a midfielder but was on a hat-trick so he stayed on. Agree though he looked shot as well.

To be fair, what Naismith brings to the the squad is clear and unquestionable. The game was won, it was just about giving Fletcher and Rhodes enough time to try and get their confidence up. Fletcher's hat-trick means little in the grand scheme of things to me - he did well to get them but this was a bunch of part-timers. There were a couple of sitters in there that we cannot afford a striker to miss - he'll get fewer chances against better teams and needs to convert a better percentage.

P*sh performance all round. Raises questions about some players IMO ahead of the next game rather than making team selection easier.

Bannan is very good.

Been saying it for a while on here that I rate him whilst others have argued otherwise. Admittedly, lets not get too excited due to the quality of opposition but still other of our midfielders never impressed against the same side.

Edited by Caledonian Craig