Match Thread - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Match Thread

ParisInAKilt

I'd just like to go back to the point about Ritchie walking straight into the first XI.

Why ? Is he honestly better than GMS, or Armstrong, or Jack (different positions I know, but the principle remains) ?

I trust Strachan's selections, but I do hope we're not back to the days of Scotland managers getting a hard-on for every lower league English player out there, and of every Scot playing in Scotland having to prove themselves 4 times over before they get near to the squad.

this

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My worry with Maloney is.. these were his first games since he went out to the US. Historically, players who went out there have struggled a bit with flying back and maintaining their performance levels. Maloney was rubbish both the games in the last week. Poor touches abound and he gave the ball away time after time against Gibraltar. Fingers crossed it's just an off week and he's much better against Ireland, can't help but be concerned by it tho.

My worry with Maloney is.. these were his first games since he went out to the US. Historically, players who went out there have struggled a bit with flying back and maintaining their performance levels. Maloney was rubbish both the games in the last week. Poor touches abound and he gave the ball away time after time against Gibraltar. Fingers crossed it's just an off week and he's much better against Ireland, can't help but be concerned by it tho.

Hmmm and just think last night on here we had people on this forum creaming themselves over Robbie Keane saying they'd have him in our team and where does he play? The same league as Maloney. Now I realise Maloney didn't sparkle yesterday but in all honesty was he any worse than Brown, Ritchie, Morrison and even Robertson? I'd say not and they all play in the UK.

I thought Robertson and Brown were very poor on Saturday.

Wee Bannan made a good show when he came on.

Tbh, there are not many positives from the match despite winning 6-1 and getting the 3 points. I know that sounds crazy but it really was an awful performance against very poor opposition.

There were very minor glimpses of decent passing, movement and link up.

Im glad we played like this in this match and not the next.

Hmmm and just think last night on here we had people on this forum creaming themselves over Robbie Keane saying they'd have him in our team and where does he play? The same league as Maloney. Now I realise Maloney didn't sparkle yesterday but in all honesty was he any worse than Brown, Ritchie, Morrison and even Robertson? I'd say not and they all play in the UK.

I have never and will never cream myself over Robbie Keane. ;)

I'm not saying write him off. Having a bad game is fine, even if it's against terrible opposition. 2 bad games, is also kinda fine.. even if they're not that great either.. but it does get me thinking as to why, and it does coincide with his US move. Fingers crossed he can pick the level back up. But it's something worth keeping in mind. He's 32 now, so probably not too much left in the tank, he's already played most of the season in the UK and the US season just started and won't finish till October, so when Germany, Poland and Georgia come around he'll be utterly knackered. Fingers crossed Snoddy's back by then, but still Maloney's been an important player for us so far, so it's a worry that his move to the US might have a significant impact on his form for us.

I have never and will never cream myself over Robbie Keane. ;)

I'm not saying write him off. Having a bad game is fine, even if it's against terrible opposition. 2 bad games, is also kinda fine.. even if they're not that great either.. but it does get me thinking as to why, and it does coincide with his US move. Fingers crossed he can pick the level back up. But it's something worth keeping in mind. He's 32 now, so probably not too much left in the tank, he's already played most of the season in the UK and the US season just started and won't finish till October, so when Germany, Poland and Georgia come around he'll be utterly knackered. Fingers crossed Snoddy's back by then, but still Maloney's been an important player for us so far, so it's a worry that his move to the US might have a significant impact on his form for us.

But again though you speak of two bad games. If we are all being honest here did anyone sparkle in these two games? I would say not so I don't think we need worry too much about Maloney's form otherwise we need to start worrying about all of our squad. I may be the odd one out here but I take great satisfaction from these last two games as we put in below par performances yet have another two wins in the bag. We can do so much better and so I am not going to worry about poor performances (when we win) in games such as a low key friendly and a lop-sided qualifier against a team set up to frustrate - one I may add that frustrated Germany even more than they frustrated us.

I thought Ritchie was quite good.

He was certainly no worse than a large part of the rest of the team. I think people are getting excited because he was subbed at half-time but they are taking that as that being being because he was ultra-crap when it was a logical move. The first half formation did not work - we conceded because we were a centre-half light at the back and over-stacked in midfield so the logical move was a midfielder be taken off and replaced by a centre-back and that is what happened. Ritchie was the logical choice as he played most of the match the other night as well unlike the other midfielders Brown and Morrison and Maloney was never going to get taken off when he was on a hat-trick.

I'd just like to go back to the point about Ritchie walking straight into the first XI.

Why ? Is he honestly better than GMS, or Armstrong, or Jack (different positions I know, but the principle remains) ?

I trust Strachan's selections, but I do hope we're not back to the days of Scotland managers getting a hard-on for every lower league English player out there, and of every Scot playing in Scotland having to prove themselves 4 times over before they get near to the squad.

On this seasons league form he has had a better season than any players eligible who would play the same position. 39 games for Bournemouth in the league, who are top, and he has 11 goals and 13 assists. That's impressive numbers IMO, especially the goals, from wide right.

not this again please.

Sorry but give me evidence Griffiths is up to international standard please. I am yet to see it and I am sure others will agree with me here. I won't wet my pants about his scoring for Celtic. I am more interested in his form for Scotland and in four games he has done naff all mate. Naff all.

Sorry but give me evidence Griffiths is up to international standard please. I am yet to see it and I am sure others will agree with me here. I won't wet my pants about his scoring for Celtic. I am more interested in his form for Scotland and in four games he has done naff all mate. Naff all.

Off the top of my head he had a good game in Zagreb, worked really hard in a tough game.

J

So really working hard is a definition of a good game? I have seen nothing from him for Scotland or even Celtic that tells me he is an international goalscorer and a great addition to our squad. Sorry if that view upsets people such as his fans but that is how I feel. That is not to say he perhaps merits a run-out in the squad to see what he can do but that is just a sign of how short we are of striking talent up front at the moment.

He looked a lot more confident after his second goal, I know it was only Gibraltar but he does look a confidenxe player, before Sunderland his record in England was impressive. Hopefully he can kick on and get a couple of goals for Sunderland between now and June.