Scotland Players In Action - Page 127 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem with Jordan Rhodes is that he is unproven at the highest level at league football. No EPL/SPL club has taken the plunge on him and you have to ask why this is the case? I see him also as a goal poacher-type who is a good finisher if chances are set up for him in and around the area. However, we don't play the type of game that carves open chances like that. We need a striker that offers more than Rhodes has to offer such as linking up to bring others into the game, holding the ball up and knock-downs etc for team-mates and that just isn't him.

If we could merge Fletcher's link up play with Rhodes' goal scoring instincts & ability we'd be laughing.

Edited to add - still think Rhodes should be in the squad.

Edited by munro7

My problem with Jordan Rhodes is that he is unproven at the highest level at league football. No EPL/SPL club has taken the plunge on him and you have to ask why this is the case? I see him also as a goal poacher-type who is a good finisher if chances are set up for him in and around the area. However, we don't play the type of game that carves open chances like that. We need a striker that offers more than Rhodes has to offer such as linking up to bring others into the game, holding the ball up and knock-downs etc for team-mates and that just isn't him.

Yes you are of course correct. All those goals he has scored for Blackburn who for years have clearly been a fantastic team in the championship, constantly creating chance after chance for him. Same with Huddrrsfield.

You don't half talk some $hite!

But Chris Martin has proven himself at the highest level? I would have Rhodes in the squad and coming off the bench ahead of Martin any day of the week but Martin gets selected and Rhodes doesn't. It's baffling.

Yes you are of course correct. All those goals he has scored for Blackburn who for years have clearly been a fantastic team in the championship, constantly creating chance after chance for him. Same with Huddrrsfield.

You don't half talk some $hite!

Why do you think he is not in Strachan's plans? Have you ever asked yourself that? If Rhodes was the answer he'd be in the squad but he is like a square peg that doesnt fit into Strachan's round peg idea of a striker.

Strachan's whole game plan has been based around attacking with a striker who can hold the ball up with strength and feed supporting midfielders building the attacks from there. That simply is not Rhodes style and a role he thrives in. If you cant see that then I dont know what Scotland matches you have been watching of late.

Rhodes like Griffiths deserve their chance but like Chris Martin as well it shows how terribly weak we are in attack as none are up to the job at internstional level in my opinion but they are among the best we have.

But Chris Martin has proven himself at the highest level? I would have Rhodes in the squad and coming off the bench ahead of Martin any day of the week but Martin gets selected and Rhodes doesn't. It's baffling.

Have you watched our games under Strachan? Invidentally, I dont see Martin being the man for the job either, but Martin is vloser to the type of striker Strachan needs to implement his grand plan. That is a striker who can hold the ball up and use strength then feed supporting midfielders ie Maloney, Naismith, Anya who complete the move. Rhodes is not thst type of striker.

Have you watched our games under Strachan? Invidentally, I dont see Martin being the man for the job either, but Martin is vloser to the type of striker Strachan needs to implement his grand plan. That is a striker who can hold the ball up and use strength then feed supporting midfielders ie Maloney, Naismith, Anya who complete the move. Rhodes is not thst type of striker.

Agreed. Rhodes is Kris Boyd type striker and needs someone up front with him to feed off. Not too many teams at the top level play that way and that is probably why top teams don't move for him.

Its just a difference in opinion. I think Strachan is a great manager however it doesnt mean that I agree with him about the Rhodes situation. Fletcher was allowed to play 180 mins between Georgia and Germany and was gut rott, why did Strachan do that? Why did Strachan not play Naismith v Germany? Has strachan got a plan B? As im getting fed up with this he doesnt fit into our system pish

Its just a difference in opinion. I think Strachan is a great manager however it doesnt mean that I agree with him about the Rhodes situation. Fletcher was allowed to play 180 mins between Georgia and Germany and was gut rott, why did Strachan do that? Why did Strachan not play Naismith v Germany? Has strachan got a plan B? As im getting fed up with this he doesnt fit into our system pish

Check Rhodes out - he plays alongside a strike partner who play a totally different style to us. You will continue to get fed up with not fitting into the system pish until Strachan starts adopting a two up front policy and changes our basic game plan to suit Rhodes. Can you see that happening? I can't. Now I am not saying Strachan is correct on this as I vociferously outed the fact he has a Plan A at present but no Plan B. That must change. Fletcher could only feed off the support and passes he got and it was no secret that was gash in both games recently but do say others merit a chance. My only problem is that those who merit their chance (Griffiths and Rhodes) who are the best we have at present are not up to the job in my opinion.

No I haven't. Not one. How are we getting on?

What grand plan is this? The one where we have struggled in the past 5 games or so and the clear need to employ other tactics and options? Rhodes has been in the squad before. He played against Gibraltar, on the basis it was a home game and won we needed to win and would win. No different from the same approach we need against Poland. Hence I would include Rhodes at the expense of the likes of Martin who (in my opinion) can hold up feck all and can barely feed his face.

You have a habit of attempting to pass of your (wild) opinion as fact. It is quite amusing.

No I haven't. Not one. How are we getting on?

What grand plan is this? The one where we have struggled in the past 5 games or so and the clear need to employ other tactics and options? Rhodes has been in the squad before. He played against Gibraltar, on the basis it was a home game and won we needed to win and would win. No different from the same approach we need against Poland. Hence I would include Rhodes at the expense of the likes of Martin who (in my opinion) can hold up feck all and can barely feed his face.

You have a habit of attempting to pass of your (wild) opinion as fact. It is quite amusing.

I concur.

You don't know what Strachan's plan is? Jeez it is stereotypical in every game. Sit in and try to hit teams on the counter by getting the line striker to hold the ball up and lay it off to supporting attacking midfielders such as Naismith, Maloney and Anya. If you haven't noticed that then you can't have watched our games.

And Rhodes just does not play that type of role as a striker hence he never gets a game. Strachan plays Martin more because he fits into that mould more. However, like I said earlier Martin isn't the answer either. We are woeful in the striking department at the moment but do agree Rhodes and Griffiths have earned their chance but sorry they are not up to international standard either in my opinion.

You don't know what Strachan's plan is? Jeez it is stereotypical in every game. Sit in and try to hit teams on the counter by getting the line striker to hold the ball up and lay it off to supporting attacking midfielders such as Naismith, Maloney and Anya. If you haven't noticed that then you can't have watched our games.

And Rhodes just does not play that type of role as a striker hence he never gets a game. Strachan plays Martin more because he fits into that mould more. However, like I said earlier Martin isn't the answer either. We are woeful in the striking department at the moment but do agree Rhodes and Griffiths have earned their chance but sorry they are not up to international standard either in my opinion.

My question was rhetorical - I am talking about picking players to play in a different formation as Strachan's primary form of tactics are not working. But you are clearly not getting it and again are banging on about not having watched any of the games. As such I will leave you to it as this is pointless.

Frankly, it is down to Strachan though. That is the point I am making here and he is obsessed with his system and sticks to it rigidly. Whilst he does stick with a lone striker then no game for Rhodes and Griffiths. We (the fans) may not agree with his thought processes but tough crap. Is two strikers worth trying? Yes but I still don't see Rhodes, Martin or Griffiths as international standard even though Rhodes and Griffiths merit a chance.

How would Strachan approach this game if Fletcher was to get injured?

Baffles me why people, Strachan included, think Fletcher is the #1 if we are 1 upfront.

Griffiths does that job for Celtic, Rhodes sometimes for Blackburn - both whith much more success.

Yes Fletcher is a tidy player and can link up to some degree. Griffiths and Rhodes aren't much worse at that aspect and have the added bonus of being consistent goalscorers with a real goal threat.

Play one of them up with Naismith just off - Bench time for Fletcher till he gets some club form

Baffles me why people, Strachan included, think Fletcher is the #1 if we are 1 upfront.

Griffiths does that job for Celtic, Rhodes sometimes for Blackburn - both whith much more success.

Yes Fletcher is a tidy player and can link up to some degree. Griffiths and Rhodes aren't much worse at that aspect and have the added bonus of being consistent goalscorers with a real goal threat.

Play one of them up with Naismith just off - Bench time for Fletcher till he gets some club form

When Fletcher is on his game he is the best striker we have got.... problem is, some games he can be a tad Duncan Ferguson'ish in that he just loses interest in a game if he is having one of those days, or he can start a game really well, but as soon as someone sticks the boot in to him he suddenly spends the rest of the game worrying about his glass ankle.......

Strachan has show of late that he can be very stubborn when it comes to his team selection that he will stick with guys he has talked up to the high heavens (when Fletcher was out with his broken ankle how many times was Strachan in the press saying he was the "missing piece of the jigsaw in his ideal team" and stuff.....)

Strachan obviously rates Fletcher over Griffiths and Rhodes. Top managers as well evidently see it the same way or else why aren't Griffiths and Rhodes playing in the EPL (a higher level than they are playing at the moment).

I do hear and concur that we should look beyond Fletcher for options. At the moment next in line and due a chance are Griffiths and Rhodes but sadly neither are the solution to our striking problems. They are not up to international standard in my opinion but they are the best we have at the moment and that paints a sad picture for me.