Scotland Players In Action - Page 39 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tell me why he could not get a game for rangers again?

Because mccoist is an utter phud who wouldn't know his erse fae his elbow.

In league 1, the league was over with God knows how many games left and Telfer got 1 substitute appearance. Either telfer has gone up many levels in ability in a short period of time or Mccoist is a phud. The fact the Rangers higher arachy, mccoist and the coaching staff didn't know his contract was expiring; kind of suggests the latter

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

Matt Smith having a decent game for Bristol City v West Ham. Looks more mobile than Chris Martin, hold up play's been good and certainly causes problems in the air

Him & Ross McCormack play well together 41 goals between them last season.

Didn't know he had Scottish connections.

Yes it is. I don't think he's the silkiest of players and wouldn't necessarily play him from the start but he could be used as an impact player. I'm still old fashioned enough to think its worth having a bit of aerial threat up your sleeve just in case.

I'm still old fashioned enough to think that this thread should be about the performances of players in and around the Scotland squad, rather than Englishmen playing in League 1.

The top quarter-half of League one could easily look after themselves in the SPL, so would not say total dross in that league (we have called up players from that level before...........).

Bristol City are somewhat of a sleeping giant, and if Strachan has said that Ash Taylor has caught his attention, then chances are he is aware of Matt Smith.

TBH no better that what we already have (or have waiting in the wings) but suppose its another option (I doubt he will stake a claim any time soon though, as with Ash Taylor, there is probably 8 or 9 names ahead of him).

The top quarter-half of League one could easily look after themselves in the SPL, so would not say total dross in that league (we have called up players from that level before...........).

Bristol City are somewhat of a sleeping giant, and if Strachan has said that Ash Taylor has caught his attention, then chances are he is aware of Matt Smith.

TBH no better that what we already have (or have waiting in the wings) but suppose its another option (I doubt he will stake a claim any time soon though, as with Ash Taylor, there is probably 8 or 9 names ahead of him).

Look after as in stay in the league?

They'd be midtable at best and I can't see Strachan calling up anyone from Hamilton Killie or St Johnstone in near future.

Bristol City a sleeping giant? :lol:

In the sense they should be in the Premiership given the size of support they have (granted nobody has a right for that these days) considering some of the teams that have been there in recent years.

Went to a city game years ago and size of support they have was a lot bigger than I thought.

Look after as in stay in the league?

They'd be midtable at best and I can't see Strachan calling up anyone from Hamilton Killie or St Johnstone in near future.

No, as in be top half to middle of the league, if you are talking about the likes of Bristol, Preston, Sheffield United, MK Dongs (feel so dirty suddenly......) rather than the likes of Fleetwood (granted they have money), Crawley, Yeovill, Walsall etc....

If any of those teams have anyone worth calling up he probably would..... (I suspect McLean at St Mirren will sneak into the next squad... sure Strachan said he was close to a call up for the last squad, but injury prevented that).

Totally disagree with this.

First of all, WGS has shown pretty clearly with his squad selections that SPL players (not including Celtic) are not on his radar.

Best case for any SPL player is a run out in a friendly.

Secondly, the teams you mention would be mid-table at best

First of all, WGS has shown pretty clearly with his squad selections that SPL players (not including Celtic) are not on his radar.

Best case for any SPL player is a run out in a friendly.

Why change a winning team?

Problem just now is we have a awful lot of good 17-21 year old's playing in the SPL, with maybe only a hand full of players older than this who should be in contention..... Strachan is not going to call up more of these players than he has to.

If Strachan was to cut loose the likes of Dorrans, Bannan, Burke etc (players he is maybe a little to loyal to at times) then that would be room for a few SPL based players (Jordan Rhodes is not SPL based, and he can get nowhere near the squad over the last year!).

I suspect next squad will have somewhat of a experimental feel to it, so Northern Ireland game is a good time to impress (as Andrew Robertson showed, put in the effort to impress Strachan and he will pick you and will start you in games).

6th biggest city in england i believe, so sleeping giant in terms of catchment area.

I used to go and watch City when I lived in Bristol. It's a big city but full of rugger buggers and City would get about 11,000 - 14,000. Pretty pish really given the size of the place and the risible nature of the local rivals.

Having said that, Bristol already has two Premiership teams - Liverpool and Man United.

Currently implementing a £46 million improvement plan on the stadium which will bring about massive increases in ability to raise finance and given that they are as was said in the 6th biggest catchment area they could be a big side and probably will be.

Know what you mean though in that you probably have to have been a giant to then go into a slumber first to be called a sleeping giant.

Smith is a decent player in the few games I've seen him for leeds and the one game I've seen him fully play for Bristol, although is always involved in goals from highlights. Although currently he'd have to perform consistently at leed's level before being considered.

Edited by flynnyboy

Bristol City have bags of potential if they can get the investment. The plans for the stadium look brilliant and they are in a good catchment area as there are no top flight teams in the area. Closest teams would be Cardiff or Reading and you wouldn't class them as a huge clubs, saying that both have modern stadiums and bring in decent sized crowds. If you build it they will come. I would love for them to make it to the big time as it is the kind of city that would embrace the opportunity and fill the newly renovated stadium.

Bristol City have bags of potential if they can get the investment. The plans for the stadium look brilliant and they are in a good catchment area as there are no top flight teams in the area. Closest teams would be Cardiff or Reading and you wouldn't class them as a huge clubs, saying that both have modern stadiums and bring in decent sized crowds. If you build it they will come. I would love for them to make it to the big time as it is the kind of city that would embrace the opportunity and fill the newly renovated stadium.

I would love for this thread to get back on topic.

I assume no Scotland Players were In Action last night?

Ar the Derby Blackburn game. Hanley and Conway are the best players on the pitch in a scrappy game. Forsyth looks good going forward and has supplied a couple of good balls into the box. Chris Martin looks terrible, how he has got the goals he has this season is a mystery on this evidence. As in every game I have seen him play (three) Cairney went off injured.

Hopefully will see Bryson and Rhoads in the second half.