Films 2015 - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

American Sniper

A good film, Eastwood has made a very watchable engaging warm film and Cooper is arguably at his best, the sniper is a heartwarming likable character, and by the end you're sad he dies and appreciate all he did in Iraq.

Unfortunately that's all horseshit. A dangerous film of Western Propaganda.

I knew it would be like that but wanted to watch it first, just glad I didn't pay for it.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Hero Six - I only really get to the cinema as a family outing these days, so am well versed in the kid oriented films. Great animation - truly stunning cityscapes. Decent story and some touching moments between Hiro and Baymax. 8/10.

Big Hero Six - I only really get to the cinema as a family outing these days, so am well versed in the kid oriented films. Great animation - truly stunning cityscapes. Decent story and some touching moments between Hiro and Baymax. 8/10.

My wee boy (4) loves BIGhero6.

• 2 weeks later...

thplinth, based on your last two posts, your taste in films is pish!

Whiplash is stunning and the end of Birdman is genius!

Dillinger, based on me just watching it again you can get tae france...

The ending of birdman?! Dont get me started on the ending of birdman...pheckin pish. Just like Pishlash or is it Whiplish I cant be sure. What I am sure about was... it was pish, really pish.

I thought Whiplash was OK, not sure it merited the rave reviews though.

The end kind of killed it for me, was just way too implausible in so many respects, and just kind of made a mockery of the rest of the film - won't go into details in case folk haven't seen it. But I know quite a few professional musicians including a couple who have played at the Met in New York and the ending just doesn't add up.

Haven't seen Birdman yet, but on Thiplinth's recommendation looking forward to giving it a go!

TT

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Interstellar and The Babadook over the weekend. Interstellar is visually stunning and really enjoyable but a bit of a head fcuk!! The Babadook, despite a couple of excellent performances, was about as scary as the Paddington film.

The theory of everything

Better than I thought it was going to be. I thought Gylenhaal had deserved the Oscar and he wasn't even nominated, but having now seen this I have no problem with Redmayne winning it. It is an incredible performance all things considered.

Big Hero 6

Was good. Brought some original ideas to what is such a formulaic genre. Still felt a bit like a million other kids films but it was enjoyable and got a few really big laughs.

Watching it with the commentary of a four year old nephew on his third viewing adds extra hilarity.

Went to see x+y which turned out to be surprisingly good. Nice performances from the two kids playing the lead role, and Sally Hawkins and Rafe Spall providing excellent support. Basically about a kid with Aspergers going to maths camp in Taiwan - which initially didn't seem like a great premise for a movie, but well worth a watch.

TT

The Internets own boy

Documentary about Aaron Swartz, programmer and political activist who killed himself after being charged by the U.S. government for 'stealing' academic journal articles from a company, JSTOR. He co created reddit also.

The world was a darker place after watching this. On YouTube.

Only tend to get to see films on planes so am probably missing the full effect, but enjoyed Interstellar all the same. Always been a bit of a sucker for epic space stuff provided George Lucas has been nowhere near it.

Pulp: A Film about Life, Death and Supermarkets is worth a watch unless you really don't like Pulp.

2014's Under the Skin (which I didn't see in a plane) was enjoyable in a Scarlett-Johannson-tempts-young-Glaswegian-men-to-a-sticky-end sort of way.