Films 2015 - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another weekend in the local big town so watched all the English language films:

Wild: surprisingly good film and a decent performance from Reese Witherspoon as a woman walking the Pacific Coast Trail. Was expecting kooky comedy but it was a decent drama with some decent emotional depth.

Jupiter Ascending: appears to be an attempt to mash up Star Wars and Game of Thrones - to the extent that Sean Bean is in it. Mila Kunis couldn't save it from being near unwatchable - and it was the second best film I saw!!!!

Reclaim: watched this alone at 8pm on a Saturday night. And by alone, it was me in a three hundred seat cinema and no other ####er. It probably should have been a clue!, John Cusak as a baddy scamming people trying to adopt a Hatian baby in Puerto Rico. What could possibly be bad about that apart from almost everything!! But not the worst...

Project Almanac: Michael Bay and MTV produce one of the most excreable movies I may have ever seen, I should admit I only lasted for forty minutes. Filmed as if being shot from characters mobiles and camcorders it's a shite B movie attempt at Back to the Future, but the continuous shaky footage makes it a vomit inducing sea sick journey through acting that just gets flatter and more stilted the longer it jiggles along. Just utter shite that made Jupiter Ascending a joy to behold!!

Please remember, I go to see these films so you don't have to!!

TT

This week I hear it's Paddington, 50 shades, the Wedding Ringer and Everly - have high hopes!!

Edited by TartanTeddy

Another weekend in the local big town so watched all the English language films:

Wild: surprisingly good film and a decent performance from Reese Witherspoon as a woman walking the Pacific Coast Trail. Was expecting kooky comedy but it was a decent drama with some decent emotional depth.

Jupiter Ascending: appears to be an attempt to mash up Star Wars and Game of Thrones - to the extent that Sean Bean is in it. Mila Kunis couldn't save it from being near unwatchable - and it was the second best film I saw!!!!

Reclaim: watched this alone at 8pm on a Saturday night. And by alone, it was me in a three hundred seat cinema and no other ####er. It probably should have been a clue!, John Cusak as a baddy scamming people trying to adopt a Hatian baby in Puerto Rico. What could possibly be bad about that apart from almost everything!! But not the worst...

Project Almanac: Michael Bay and MTV produce one of the most excreable movies I may have ever seen, I should admit I only lasted for forty minutes. Filmed as if being shot from characters mobiles and camcorders it's a shite B movie attempt at Back to the Future, but the continuous shaky footage makes it a vomit inducing sea sick journey through acting that just gets flatter and more stilted the longer it jiggles along. Just utter shite that made Jupiter Ascending a joy to behold!!

Please remember, I go to see these films so you don't have to!!

TT

This week I hear it's Paddington, 50 shades, the Wedding Ringer and Everly - have high hopes!!

are you taking your dildo with you to watch 50 shades ?

The Voices. Ryan Reynolds comedy. Watched it 24 hours ago and still debating whether I enjoyed it due to the subject and how f***ed up it was.

Crap but more than passable by Hollywood standards Scottish accent as well.

I turned that off because of the Scottish accent. A bit Groundskeeper Willie.

So this weekends three films...

The Wedding Ringer: Standard mismatched buddy comedy with hints of the Hangover and any Will Ferrel type movie but without the writing or delivery. Pretty much a vehicle for Josh Gadd, who spent a fair amount of time on Broadway in Book of Mormon, to enter into the slightly chubby awkward but loveable role so often played by the last slightly chubby awakward but loveable actor that everone has now forgot about - or who have since slimmed down and becaome a bit dull. Not the worst movie, but assume straight to DVD would have been a better option.

Paddington: Obviously a bit behind the curve as it's just hit town, so as people have previously said a good kids movie with enough to keep adults entertained. Agree with previous comments that Paddington should have got the dufflel coat on earlier but thought some nice performances by the supporting cast. Weirdly in Asia they have given Padington a new voice, still in English but clearly with a slightly Chinese accent - weird, and not quite sure why.

On Sunday I channeled my inner TartanJon - and by that I mean I entered a darkened room with a large number of prepubescent boys hoping for cheap sexual thrills - and went to see 50 Shades of Grey. This appears to be a film about a young rich man who doesn't appear to be aware that with great wealth brings the ability to shag really hot women with low moral standards and so instead he persues a dull moany women who despite getting a car/laptop/glider flight seems a bit put off prolonged sexual activity. Or if your a woman, its a ludicrous movie about a well educated lass who for no good reason shags a guy who clearly shags about, who thinks he can buy you with money and gifts and has a fixation for his mother. I should point out both these descriptions are better and more interesting than the actual film (or indeed TartanJon in a darkened room full of prepubescent boys).

Two hours of people who lack sexual chemistry, endlessly talking about nothing, getting increasingly frustrated with each other and then ending in a disagreement that sadly suggests that they will part only to do the whole thing again in a meanigless sequal twelve months from now - so in many respects it's like any other business on the TAMB!!

Best avoided!

TT

Edited by TartanTeddy

My weekend films :

Whiplash - brilliant, but you knew that

The Interview - started off really funny but it tailed off

Hector and the search for happiness - surprisingly good and by far Simon Pegg's best film

The Homesman - Hilary Swank and Tommy Lee Jones are really good in this western with a difference

I watched The Interview on Saturday. What a pile of utter shite. If it hadn't been for the controversy, I would have switched it off after 20 minutes.

Anybody looking forward to next weekend's Oscars? I still cant believe The Lego Movie wasn't nominated for best picture

Sorry these are not 2015 but I am catching up a bit...

• Big Foot Lost Coast Tapes - best of the rediscovered lost big foot tapes genre... yeah. Watched it all in one go.
  • Overnighters - knows why I even rented this. Still very interesting in a makes you want to slash your wrists in hot bath kind of way. Turned off in disgust 3/4 way through at 1st attempt, watched it again all the way at 2nd attempt. Not bad in a deeply ed up way.
  • Force Majure - the usual man hating shite out of Sweden, capital of man hating shite. Total arse gravy.
  • Miss Meadows - now I know why she married Tom Cruise. I lasted 20 mins maybe.

I watched The Interview on Saturday. What a pile of utter shite. If it hadn't been for the controversy, I would have switched it off after 20 minutes.

Anybody looking forward to next weekend's Oscars? I still cant believe The Lego Movie wasn't nominated for best picture

Never mind best picture, it didn't even get nominated for best animation!

Mental!

J

Wow... Nightcrawler... did not like it at all.

Kill the Messenger, the Gary Webb story. Like Shaylor and Machon, they will reduce you to a ruin, until you want to die. But of course it is "impossible to keep a secret that big".

Edited by thplinth

Wow... Nightcrawler... did not like it at all.

Kill the Messenger, the Gary Webb story. Like Shaylor and Machon, they will reduce you to a ruin, until you want to die. But of course it is "impossible to keep a secret that big".

I enjoyed KTM.Would the same thing have happened today with the info available in an instant via the Internet ? probably.

Nightcrawler was rotten but not as crap as Inherent Vice.