What A Difference A Manager Makes... - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What A Difference A Manager Makes...

Bzzzz

Levein had the safety net of Spain being in our euro group, and getting a team like the Czech Republic, so finishing 3rd was bare minimum he need to do to keep his job.....

World Cup draw in July surely we are due a easy group at long last? LOL

It's was the manner of the 3rd finish though. We could realistically still finish 4th this campaign but have a 'better' campaign than that one. But let's not mention those campaigns anymore :-))

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was sitting ten feet from the dugout and the thing that pleased me most was seeing wee Gordon on the touchline constantly shouting at Anya and Roberston to take on their man. He encourages the players to be more ambitious. Brilliant positivity from the gaffer.

I'll admit I was still backing Levein after the EURO campaign I think it was partly because we would've made the play-offs if not for that Czech diving and it still hurts now to watch that game.

It was after Macedonia at home that I stopped supporting him.

I did use to hate how people who did support Levein though trotted out the 'we don't have the players' and 'we are just rubbish' lines for every failure. We was always capable of doing what we are seeing now and I'm glad we've got a manager like WGS who I think will take us to France as he has done something Burley and Levein never did, won a KEY game.

There was never any doubt that Levein was pulling the team down. He never trusted the players, nor even rated them.

Without being a d'ck, I still blame his media pals, and complicit fans for allowing him to stay after the first campaign. It was incredibly obvious what was happening, allowing him to stay was a disaster for us.

I think it's OK to have just an occasional peek at the past - just enough to be thankful.

I seem to remember the USA game being a turning point - not simply the losing 5-1, but that this was against a team with I think 2 Rangers players in it? Let's say half decent journeymen, not world beaters. Yet clearly their manager was getting something out of them, that ours wasn't. And our goal, wasn't it an own goal off a Kenny Miller attempt? The Americans were shocked and embarrassed at how bad we were. A self respecting manager might have quit.

Followed by Serbia, when I seem to remember the manager would not commit to trying to win the game... of sitting through 0-0, for large parts enduring it rather than enjoying it, feeling the campaign drifting away on day one, and having to wait 2 more years for a competitive match.

Under Burley we weren't great but we lived in hope. Levein managed to destroy hope.

Will never understand to this day what possessed the SFA to appoint that utter dickwad. Levein hardly had a track record for a start as a manager. Modest to say the least.

Wasted couple of years.

Same reason they appointted Burley.... Best of a bad/poor lot to select from.

You look at the short list for both times and it's clear they went for the "best" both time....

Levein I suspect was a element of the media getting what they wanted (when Burley got the job didn't the Record not say Souness had the job in the bag?) and that's why he got a easier ride than other managers (Burley it was clearly a case that he was made not welcome the second he sat down in his saltire tie).

Strachan was never my choice. Wasn't convinced he was that good a good manager and disliked the way he acted during interviews with him.

Absolutely delighted that I was wrong. The way we stay patient and retain possession is so good to see in a Scotland team. Really good to see us attacking teams with some belief also.

Love the wee man now. He's even impressing me with his interviews these days too. :cheers3:

I agree it's better look forward rather than behind, but Levein truly was shit.

Many knew he offered absolutely nothing as the Scotland coach after 5 games in charge. I can't believe so many folk wanted to give him another chance. Then we had the 90 minute Jocks like Proven, Nicholas who spout their opinion to be then trotted out by the sheep who watch football from TV to get an opinion telling us that we didn't have any good players, it's harder to qualify, he's doing the best with what he's got.

Not saying we'll qualify, but it's 100x more enjoyable watching Scotland now than what it was under Levein.

:ok::ok::ok:

Many knew he offered absolutely nothing as the Scotland coach after 5 games in charge.

Most of us knew after his first competative game away in Lithuania ....

WGS would rather lose trying to win, regardless of the opposition. Levein was too controlling, too fearful and didn't have any faith in this team or tactics.

This!

Always felt the Sweden hammering knocked the stuffing out of Levein to the point grabbing a 0-0 (regardless of the opponents being Lithuania or Spain) was acceptiable.

Strachans attitude seems to be you are only as good as your last game and will treat every game with a view to what the standard of opponent will be to take us forward.

And if it doesn't work, then back to the drawing board

Edited by wanderer