James Mclean Letter Re: The Poppy - Page 5 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

James Mclean Letter Re: The Poppy

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Football's new obsession with war & the military is breeding a worrying intolerance of freedom of speech & expression.Dissent at your peril.

Agree with this 100%. At the West Brom Newcastle game yesterday they had a minutes silence for Remembrance before the game. The fans then had a minutes applause for something to do with Jeff Astle during the game, another for the 2 Newcastle fans that died in the MH flight and I think another for the boy Guitierrez who is recovering from cancer. While these are all noble causes it's getting to the stage that the football is becoming the sideshow to respect junkies.

Agree with this 100%. At the West Brom Newcastle game yesterday they had a minutes silence for Remembrance before the game. The fans then had a minutes applause for something to do with Jeff Astle during the game, another for the 2 Newcastle fans that died in the MH flight and I think another for the boy Guitierrez who is recovering from cancer. While these are all noble causes it's getting to the stage that the football is becoming the sideshow to respect junkies.

that's not what mcnally is on about though. I have no issues with Mcleans stance but McNally is providing succor to those who cant keep silent at Pittodrie for 60 seconds.

I quite agree. It's getting to the stage that almost every game has a minutes applause for some reason or another and it annoys me to be honest.

I quite agree. It's getting to the stage that almost every game has a minutes applause for some reason or another and it annoys me to be honest.

It'll become similar to the US - they're desperate to have someone from the military for the crowd to cheer at every game. I was at a baseball game in Chicago and they had a third lieutenant from the coastguard ffs.

I don't wear a poppy.

Got respect for soldiers, but it is a career choice these days. Rather than serving your country, most wars now are fought to protect corporate interest - rather than an actual "necessity" for war.

Doesn't sit right with me

That's true, but that's not what Remembrance Day is about.

The clue is in the name.

It's not a celebration of illegal wars in the middle east, or a celebration of killing Catholics in 'Derry, in the north of Ireland', or a 'celebration' of war at all.

It's remembrance. Pure and simple.

The Labour government of Tony Blair have a lot to answer for.

That's true, but that's not what Remembrance Day is about.

The clue is in the name.

It's not a celebration of illegal wars in the middle east, or a celebration of killing Catholics in 'Derry, in the north of Ireland', or a 'celebration' of war at all.

It's remembrance. Pure and simple.

The Labour government of Tony Blair have a lot to answer for.

It's not just remembrance, though. The Royal British Legion exists for "all who serve" in the British Army.

Can't bring myself to support that when they're involved in illegal wars for financial gain.

I can remember without wearing a poppy.

It's not just remembrance, though. The Royal British Legion exists for "all who serve" in the British Army.

Can't bring myself to support that when they're involved in illegal wars for financial gain.

I can remember without wearing a poppy.

Sorry, I wasn't having a go at you, and I don't necessarily disagree with you.

It's true that the financial aspect of poppy day benefits serving soldiers as well as veterans.....but I was talking purely about the moral aspect of poppy day, which for me is about remembrance.

As I said, we can blame the Labour government of around 12 years ago for creating this cynicism around 11th November.

Sorry, I wasn't having a go at you, and I don't necessarily disagree with you.

It's true that the financial aspect of poppy day benefits serving soldiers as well as veterans.....but I was talking purely about the moral aspect of poppy day, which for me is about remembrance.

As I said, we can blame the Labour government of around 12 years ago for creating this cynicism around 11th November.

No problem Rossy, I see your point.

Labour have a lot to answer for within the last 10-20 years. Almost unrecognisable as a party and have lost a lot of their core values along the way. Though that may well be the case for politics in general...

No problem Rossy, I see your point.

Labour have a lot to answer for within the last 10-20 years. Almost unrecognisable as a party and have lost a lot of their core values along the way. Though that may well be the case for politics in general...

You need to make your signature this: