Doak - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Doak

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Reports in media that he's a chance of a call up. I'd go for it, especially in a 26 man squad

Would be be averse to this. Said it before I'd rather see you youngsters make up the extra three than call up the likes of forrest. 

If fit, Id definitely take him. We need something different, and he could be the player.  With a 26 man squad, there's a good bit more manoeuvrability. 

The reports appear to be from the Sun and contains no quotes. So almost certainly just a made up story. 

The actual news is that he is back in full training. That's a big postive. Personally, with the squads being bigger, I'd definitely take him. He'll  be involved in numerous future tournaments *fingers crossed*, so why not give him some experience while we have the extra seats on the plane. 

1 hour ago, GilmourFan said:

Come the Euros he wouldn't have played a competitive match for half a year.

I would say no.

He needs a good pre-season under his belt.

If he does get called up, I can't see him playing a great deal.

Fully fit and with 6 months of football under his belt, he'd be a starter, playing as a 10. But unfortunately, it wasn't to be.

Hickey will be in the same boat with regards to match fitness. I accept that Doak has very little first team experience at any level but if fit I'd probably take him. Realistically he would get 10 minute sub appearances here and there at most and the match fitness is less of an issue for such cameos imo, especially in attacking positions. Don't get me wrong, with 26 man squads I'd take Hickey too but starting games in wing back position after such a lay off is a more of a risk. Doak would benefit from the experience even if he doesn't play. He's our best u21 player.

6 hours ago, GilmourFan said:

That's a good point.

Just had a wee look. Hickey's actually been out since last October. Didn't realise it was that long.

We might have a problem at right wingback.

Yeah. I love Doak. Can't wait to see him at senior level for Scotland. A throwback to the likes of Jimmy Johnstone, etc.

Hopefully he's ready for the Euro's.

Agree, Doak is one of only a few players who has the potential to get you off your seat. He hasn't done much for Liverpool but also hasn't done much wrong in the few minutes he has played. More often hooked when he hasn't seen much of the ball. I'd place significant faith in Klopp's judgement to elevate him to first team at such a young age, in advance of the host of other talented youngsters who have since broken through. I think this and Robertson's insight of his ability might be enough for him to make the squad despite his lay-off.

Australia took Garang Kuol to the World Cup, despite him being a teenager who had played a handful of first team games. With the expanded squad, we should 100% take Doak if he is fit.

Posted (edited)

On 5/7/2024 at 8:32 PM, bdgsct said:

Hickey will be in the same boat with regards to match fitness. I accept that Doak has very little first team experience at any level but if fit I'd probably take him. Realistically he would get 10 minute sub appearances here and there at most and the match fitness is less of an issue for such cameos imo, especially in attacking positions. Don't get me wrong, with 26 man squads I'd take Hickey too but starting games in wing back position after such a lay off is a more of a risk. Doak would benefit from the experience even if he doesn't play. He's our best u21 player.

The situation really isn't that dissimilar to the last Euros. Gilmour had a long injury lay off and then got only like 2 or 3 games and snuck in. 

Patterson had only half a dozen starts for Rangers, and only because Tavernier was injured. 

Clarke pretty much admitted neither would have been included if it weren't for the increased squad size. But he knew both of these guys would be an integral part of our squad for the next decade. I think we can confidently claim the same for Doak.

Edited by Tartan blood

It might be worth noting that Liverpool have very little to play for over the last couple of games. If he's fit and plays (even a couple of 30 min appearances) I can see an argument for him. If he doesn't get a look in then it makes it much harder to justify him getting a call up over a regular player

If fit then I'd prefer Doak in over the likes of James Forrest for obvious reasons. He carries that X-Factor which Forrest does not. Also he is one for the future and the experience will do him the world of good whereas Forrest's career is winding down. He won't be featuring for us in the future.

On 5/7/2024 at 7:23 PM, GilmourFan said:

Come the Euros he wouldn't have played a competitive match for half a year.

I would say no.

He needs a good pre-season under his belt.

If he does get called up, I can't see him playing a great deal.

Fully fit and with 6 months of football under his belt, he'd be a starter, playing as a 10. But unfortunately, it wasn't to be.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts too.

He's just returning from a serious injury and his experience of senior football to date consists mainly of the odd appearance in domestic cup competitions and the Europa League, where, to be brutally honest, he coped rather than shone.

The injury was very unfortunate for him, because he clearly has talent, but his time will come.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If fit then I'd prefer Doak in over the likes of James Forrest for obvious reasons. He carries that X-Factor which Forrest does not. Also he is one for the future and the experience will do him the world of good whereas Forrest's career is winding down. He won't be featuring for us in the future.

If Forrest scores 1 or 2 in the old firm he's IN imo. 

3 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

If Forrest scores 1 or 2 in the old firm he's IN imo. 

one or two goals in an OF match = call up for the Euros. 

Disagree with that entirely and don't really know where to start with it.

On 5/8/2024 at 12:42 AM, GilmourFan said:

Yeah. I love Doak. Can't wait to see him at senior level for Scotland. A throwback to the likes of Jimmy Johnstone, etc.

How's he a throwback to the likes of Jimmy Johnstone? 

If it’s a toss up between him & Forrest then I’d opt for Doak every time. Just a pity he got injured at a bad time when he was getting the odd occasional appearance for Liverpool under Klopp and would have no doubt played a part in our remaining qualifiers back in November as well as these recent friendly games against Netherlands & Northern Ireland.

If he’s fit and ready to play by the time the Euros come around then could be a very good option to call upon from the bench.