James Forrest.... - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

James Forrest....

Big Ramy 1314

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two goals against Dundee isn't enough for a comeback for Scotland, cmon tae fuck now.

I liked Forrest as a player, but he is well past his best years. Its a no thanks from me.

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Two goals against Dundee isn't enough for a comeback for Scotland, cmon tae fuck now.

I liked Forrest as a player, but he is well past his best years. Its a no thanks from me.

and one goal against aberdeen.....................that doesn't make him any better because Aberdeen are shite

Even at his best he was frustratingly inconsistent and often lacked end product. I can't imagine he has started more than 15 games over the last 2 seasons which will never help someone who relies on speed and sharpness.

20 hours ago, GilmourFan said:

Some people think if a player reaches the age of 30 they're ready for the retirement home.

Someone should tell that to Messi (36) and Ronaldo (39).

James Forrest is  a clutch player who has a winning mentality.

If fit and playing he should be in the squad. Without doubt.

Ryan Fraser can stay home and train with Southampton. He likes training.

Some comparisons, Messi, Ronaldo and James Forrest!

10 hours ago, kwhitelaw said:

Forrest, for years, was a player I always rolled my eye's at when in a Scotland shirt but then seemed to really come onto a game under McLeish (scored a hat trick in a Nations League game if I'm not mistaken!) so if he can recapture that kind of form then why not if we need the players.  Fraser is more than capable too if he can be arsed.

People really need to give it a rest with Gauld and Morgan though.  The MLS is not a great league, it's well marketed and is a retirement home for 35+ year old superstars, so people who've never watched a game are tricked into thinking it's a good level.  How many players have come to Scotland from an MLS team in the last few years that have either went back or disappeared off to a lower level?

Morgan and Gauld aren't good enough for the level of international football Scotland want to compete at but are above the average level required for the MLS which is why they're flourishing over there.

Edited for honking grammar and spelling 😂

Is the MLS any worse than the spl or English championship? Loads of MLS players played at the last world cup and loads play international football for sides of similar quality to ours.It's hardly a league that we can afford to turn our noses up at.

We are not Brazil or Spain.

Also what players have came to Scotland from the MLS that have failed? Can't think of many.

The guy Johnston seems to be doing well at Celtic. 

Ramirez the striker did ok at Aberdeen although I don't think he was some kind of star in the MLS to start with.

Who do you think should be our replacement players bearing in mind we could need 4 or 5?

22 hours ago, GilmourFan said:

As for Fraser, he can't be trusted.

He'd rather train with Newcastle than play for Scotland.

You'd pick a guy who couldn't get a game for Hibs and a guy who couldn't get a game for celtic...over a guy that gets a game for celtic?

Nuts

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

You'd pick a guy who couldn't get a game for Hibs and a guy who couldn't get a game for celtic...over a guy that gets a game for celtic?

Nuts

Gauld was injured at Hibs and Morgan didn't get a chance at Celtic.

Let's just pretend that Robertson was deemed not good enough for Celtic. By your logic Robertson should second fiddle to Taylor.

Yes. Someone having an opinion.

Madness.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Who would you have? We are running out of viable options.

I've already Said I'd have fraser as an attacking option instead of Armstrong. 

39 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I've already Said I'd have fraser as an attacking option instead of Armstrong. 

Lol that's 1. Also Fraser could easily have been picked anyways, especially now there 26 man squads.

We need another 2 or 3 attacking midfielders or wingers.

Who else you suggesting?

48 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol that's 1. Also Fraser could easily have been picked anyways, especially now there 26 man squads.

Who else you suggesting?

I think Gauld should have had a chance before now. Im not convinced on Morgan. I think if he is to get a look in he probably needs to move back to Europe. I wouldnt put Morgan any higher than somebody like Armstrong at Kille.

Attacking mids id take McGinn, McTom, Armstrong, (Christie), Fraser, and either Dembele or Doak. Doak if he can get any short of fitness. 

I dont think Doak has earned a call up and wouldnt be near the squad if it was 23 or if we didnt have some injuries but he will be a big player going forward and the experience will do him good. Its unlikely any of the 24 to 26 players will get much if any gametime.

7 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I think Gauld should have had a chance before now. Im not convinced on Morgan. I think if he is to get a look in he probably needs to move back to Europe. I wouldnt put Morgan any higher than somebody like Armstrong at Kille.

Attacking mids id take McGinn, McTom, Armstrong, (Christie), Fraser, and either Dembele or Doak. Doak if he can get any short of fitness. 

I dont think Doak has earned a call up and wouldnt be near the squad if it was 23 or if we didnt have some injuries but he will be a big player going forward and the experience will do him good. Its unlikely any of the 24 to 26 players will get much if any gametime.

I thought Armstrong was injured?

Also if mctominay is injured then that's 2 extra guys you need. 

I take it you are talking about karamoko rather than siriki dembele?

Not sure doaks ready. He's not exactly done much in the limited gametime he has gotten at Liverpool.

Saying that if we are desperate then I don't see why doak shouldn't be considered.

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I thought Armstrong was injured?

Also if mctominay is injured then that's 2 extra guys you need. 

I take it you are talking about karamoko rather than siriki dembele?

Not sure doaks ready. He's not exactly done much in the limited gametime he has gotten at Liverpool.

Saying that if we are desperate then I don't see why doak shouldn't be considered.

McTominay isnt injured seriously. He has said so himself. He will be back in a couole of weeks.

Armstrong hasnt been ruled in or out yet. I suspect he will be another one who might not play (or maybe the odd playoff game) but will be medically fit by the Euros. 

We only need 4 or 5 attacking mids. Christie, McGinn, McTominay and Fraser will likely be 4 of them. So Armstrong if fit. If not then one of the others I mentioned as I think the 5th will be more like a wildcard pick for the future anyway.

1 minute ago, Diamond Scot said:

McTominay isnt injured seriously. He has said so himself. He will be back in a couole of weeks.

Armstrong hasnt been ruled in or out yet. I suspect he will be another one who might not play (or maybe the odd playoff game) but will be medically fit by the Euros. 

We only need 4 or 5 attacking mids. Christie, McGinn, McTominay and Fraser will likely be 4 of them. So Armstrong if fit. If not then one of the others I mentioned as I think the 5th will be more like a wildcard pick for the future anyway.

Sounds like we could end up with a few rusty players in terms of being match sharp.

Also you didn't specify which dembele. I assume you meant karamoko but he's playing league 1 whereas his brother has been playing a higher level for a good few years now. Not sure I am keen on a league1 player getting a chance over guys like gauld or Morgan or even Forrest.

Although it's true that the MLS has generally been fairly suspect defensively (I think this may have been down to Americans being Americans and wanting to make sure that there's as many 'goalshots in the dangerzone' as possible), I'd say that it's starting to move away from that and is becoming a bit more well-rounded. They've started bringing in a lot of players from Latin America and that is increasing the standard significantly. It's currently probably of a similar level to the Scottish Premiership, but with the amount of money being spent, it'll be superior soon. Gauld and Morgan should both definitely be considered for the squad.

I would be surprised if Forrest was recalled to the squad but if he continues to start for Celtic, plays well and keeps scoring for the next 5 games then I’m sure Clarke will consider him, especially if we have any injury issues in that area. 

Unless we have a serious injury crisis with our forwards then he’s not going to start our games in Germany anyway even if he does make the squad but he could make an impact off the bench. 

1 hour ago, BookhouseBoys said:

Although it's true that the MLS has generally been fairly suspect defensively (I think this may have been down to Americans being Americans and wanting to make sure that there's as many 'goalshots in the dangerzone' as possible), I'd say that it's starting to move away from that and is becoming a bit more well-rounded. They've started bringing in a lot of players from Latin America and that is increasing the standard significantly. It's currently probably of a similar level to the Scottish Premiership, but with the amount of money being spent, it'll be superior soon. Gauld and Morgan should both definitely be considered for the squad.

There's probably more established international footballers in the MLS.

From the highlights I have seen the MLS looks a better standard than the spl in terms of speed and movement but saying that the likes of Morgan, gauld and Russell etc probably wouldn't do well there if it was a really high standard.

I would say it's a decent enough league that we shouldnt be turning our nose up at. Especially if other countries of similar standard are willing to play players from there.

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Who else you suggesting?

Why do you often start your posts with lol when responding to others? Your coming across as a dick when you do it.

I haven given much thought to the other two slots, mainly because I wasn't aware the squads had been confirmed as 26 instead of 23. 

6 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

The Southampton manager reckons Armstrong has a big chance of being ready for the Euros 

10 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Sounds like we could end up with a few rusty players in terms of being match sharp.

Also you didn't specify which dembele. I assume you meant karamoko but he's playing league 1 whereas his brother has been playing a higher level for a good few years now. Not sure I am keen on a league1 player getting a chance over guys like gauld or Morgan or even Forrest.

I did mean Karamoko Dembele. I think it depends what you are looking for from the 26th pick.

If you are looking for somebody to come off the bench in a couple of the games and know what you are going to get from them then probably Forrest would be that person. 

If you are looking for people who are performing at a slightly higher level then Gauld and Morgan would fall into that category.

For me if all our players were fit then I would be taking the 26 very best players who have been part of the squad. Given the injuries its opened up a couple of spaces for guys who havent previously been involved and most likely wont get much if any gametime. If thats the criteria id rather take a promising youngster with a view to the world cup qualifying. Id say Doak and Dembele fall into that catergory more than Gauld or Morgan. 

Realistically once Ferguson is fit again he moves back ahead of the likes of Gauld and Morgan for the next campaign anyway. None of our other attacking mids are likely to retire after the Euros. 

21 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

hes got no neck

And he runs like a bloke who's about to miss his train whilst carrying heavy suitcases.  

Not a massive fan being honest and used to bug me he'd close folk down from miles away like he was putting a shift in but if he'd his finger out his arse would have been closer in the first place.  Whenever he couldn't be arsed tracking back he'd start fucking about with his socks too which really boiled my urine.  

Fraser for me has to go now, he brings something we dont have.

I think Clarke clearly doesnt fancy Gauld, will know if he isnt called up for the two friendlies.  As for Forrest, apart from a wee purple patch, he went something like 25 games without a goal or an assist playing as a winger!

We dont need a winger who clearly has lost at least a yard of pace and who can only play 20 mins a game as our special weapon.