Che Adams should be nowhere near this team - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Che Adams should be nowhere near this team

TartanTamsie

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, Che is class! Look at his goal against Denmark. To say he does fuck all is way off the mark. He's head and shoulders above Shankland and Stewart. I like Dykes though, he's never let us down.

This is a strange reaction to the national team having success, they've all done us proud🤔🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I was never much of a fan of Adams until his goal against Denmark which he took like a top international striker. But ever since he has failed to impress. He tries hard, but only a journeyman striker, and not international class. Also he plays in support of the target man, and not the main striker himself. Dykes, Stewart, Shankland and Nisbet should all be ahead of Adams. Of that group I am confident Ross Stewart is the answer, good scoring record, mobile, good in the air at both ends, good hold up play, plus works his socks off, essential when employing a high press.

Never been Adams biggest fan but thought his movement etc was good but watching him in the France game he seems to be carrying extra weight and looked pretty slow to be honest.Also he wasn't even keeping hold of the ball well.Maybe something to do with his time out with injury and then not getting many starts for Southampton but don't think in his current form he should be automatically ahead of Shankland etc.

27 minutes ago, HighlandScot said:

I was never much of a fan of Adams until his goal against Denmark which he took like a top international striker. But ever since he has failed to impress. He tries hard, but only a journeyman striker, and not international class. Also he plays in support of the target man, and not the main striker himself. Dykes, Stewart, Shankland and Nisbet should all be ahead of Adams. Of that group I am confident Ross Stewart is the answer, good scoring record, mobile, good in the air at both ends, good hold up play, plus works his socks off, essential when employing a high press.

Stewart’s done absolutely zero at a high level to put himself ahead of Adams.

Adams has scored some really important goals for us and he absolutely should be in our squad and in the frame to start when in form.

I don’t know if Stewart will get into our squad let alone start. 

5 hours ago, TartanTamsie said:

Obviously it's a contrasting opinion but every game he starts he does fuckall and has to be subbed off at 70 mins for Dykes who does more in the remaining 20 than he has all match.

He's not good enough for the squad, fuck knows what Steve Clarke sees in him

Adams has done reasonably well for us in most of the games I have watched. Dykes has done well for us as well but theres plenty of games that hes been average in. He had a relatively poor euros imo. 

I think both our dykes and Adams are vulnerable to losing their starting place if shankland or Stewart were to come in a do a better job. But Saying that I am not sure they would do better.

End of the day our striking options are quite limited. If you can suggest players that might do significantly better then fair enough but I doubt you can.

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Adams has scored some really important goals for us and he absolutely should be in our squad and in the frame to start when in form.

I don’t know if Stewart will get into our squad let alone start. 

Yes this sums it up for me too.

5 hours ago, HighlandScot said:

I really can’t stand this phrase. What does it even mean? 

Are the Gibraltar players international class? 

Adams is a good player. He’s had some average games for us recently but that doesn’t mean he should be nowhere near the team.

Dykes is clearly Clarke’s preferred striker at the moment but he didn’t play very well on Thursday night. Should he be nowhere near the team either? 

We are not exactly overrun by excellent strikers so I don’t think we can be choosy enough to leave out a player of Adams’ ability. 

17 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I really can’t stand this phrase. What does it even mean? 

Are the Gibraltar players international class? 

International class, in my opinion, is a player playing international football who has shown he can have an influence in matches. Adams has shown he can do that so he qualifies in my eyes. World class is the next level up and players who influence games against the very best teams in the world and at major tournaments which Adams is not at. Not every player can call themselves international class, again in my opinion, as some (such as those playing for lesser teams) are there by circumstance and fulfilling international fixtures so only there as they have been selected.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

International class, in my opinion, is a player playing international football who has shown he can have an influence in matches. Adams has shown he can do that so he qualifies in my eyes. World class is the next level up and players who influence games against the very best teams in the world and at major tournaments which Adams is not at. Not every player can call themselves international class, again in my opinion, as some (such as those playing for lesser teams) are there by circumstance and fulfilling international fixtures so only tgereas they have been selected.

Doesn’t it depend on the country you represent though? At least half of all international teams are absolute dross. Are their best players international class? They play international football so the must be.

The phrase has no meaning for me. I’m probably just being pedantic but it really annoys me for some reason. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

Doesn’t it depend on the country you represent though? At least half of all international teams are absolute dross. Are their best players international class? They play international football so the must be.

The phrase has no meaning for me. I’m probably just being pedantic but it really annoys me for some reason. 

Just playing international football isn't enough to make a player international class in my opinion. Of course everyone will gauge it in their own way.

For example Chris Iwelumo not international class as, although he played international football, he failed to influence match with his contribution. Che Adams qualifies as has influenced matches/results with his presence scoring V Denmark in game that got us to the World Cup play-offs and winning penalty V Austria in another key natch plus has chipped in with other goals.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Just playing international football isn't enough to make a player international class in my opinion. Of course everyone will gauge it in their own way.

For example Chris Iwelumo not international class as, although he played international football, he failed to influence match with his contribution. Che Adams qualifies as has influenced matches/results with his presence scoring V Denmark in game that got us to the World Cup play-offs and winning penalty V Austria in another key natch plus has chipped in with other goals.

That’s my point though. By definition you need to be international class to play international football. Lots of international players aren’t very good though which is why the phrase should be crumpled up and put in the bin. 

28 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

That’s my point though. By definition you need to be international class to play international football. Lots of international players aren’t very good though which is why the phrase should be crumpled up and put in the bin. 

Granted it is one of those throwaway terms so people will form their own definitions. Playing international football does not mean they are international class though by my definition. I say that as plenty of players who have played at international level may have been part-time and are only playing at that level by a set of circumstances such as they are deemed the best Gibraltar, San Marino, Andorra etc they have so get selected to fulfill fixtures so are there not because they are international class (class being the keyword) but because they are the best those countries have. They are international footballers but that is it. International class is next level up.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

7 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Fucking unreal...

Shankland scores a goal in the dying minutes, and Ross Stewart gets off the injury table and before we know it we're telling Dykes and Adams to sit in the summer hoose...

It's not all about that, though. Shankland is in good form for Hearts whereas Adams and Dykes are not. I just don't understand why Dykes and Adams,  are seen as definitely making the Euros squad with one extra place up for grabs.  There is more of a case for Dykes now but they shouldn't be in the same bracket as KT, Robbo, Hickey, McGinn etc.

I would say that, at least from the highlights, I thought Dykes did OK. His header in the first half wasn't as bad a miss as I thought and his header in the second half was probably better, and more difficult, than the one which led to Shankland's goal.

I sort of felt like when Carver said Shankland had to take his opportunity that it was a bit of a faux-pas as Clarke probably felt like he had to play him. It would explain why he only brought him on so late.

The jury is out on Ross Stewart for me especially as he's just coming back from injury. He'll have to force his way in.

9 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Fucking unreal...

Shankland scores a goal in the dying minutes, and Ross Stewart gets off the injury table and before we know it we're telling Dykes and Adams to sit in the summer hoose...

This this this 1000 this

Is Shankland suited to playing up front on his own? There’s no doubt Shankland is a good finisher but can he play the role of a lone striker? 
We know that Stewart has done it at Sunderland very successfully. We will have to see what happens at Southampton. And as I posted in another thread, what happens with Adams and Stewart at Southampton. Will they play as a pair? Who will get the nod if Southampton only play with 1 Centre Forward. If Stewart is 1st choice at Southampton, playing regularly and scoring can Clarke ignore that and pick Adams ahead of him? Especially if Adams has hardly kicked a ball ? Perhaps being limited to 5-10 minute appearances off the bench.

11 hours ago, ProudScot said:

To be fair, that is because he has had almost zero opportunity to prove himself at the highest level. He was a goal machine at Sunderland, and Southampton were prepared to pay £10M for him when injured. Luckily we have perfect conditions to compare him against Adams in the next few months before making any decisions

2 minutes ago, immcinto said:

To be fair, that is because he has had almost zero opportunity to prove himself at the highest level. He was a goal machine at Sunderland, and Southampton were prepared to pay £10M for him when injured. Luckily we have perfect conditions to compare him against Adams in the next few months before making any decisions

And he was playing as a lone striker, the same way that Scotland play. 

Edited by Scot1

16 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Is Shankland suited to playing up front on his own? There’s no doubt Shankland is a good finisher but can he play the role of a lone striker? 

Possibly not and possibly he'd be better coming off the bench but earlier than the other night. Is it also out of the question to change the system?  If it's a half chance, I want it falling to Shankland not Dykes or Adams.