Injury Watch - Page 28 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Injury Watch

Caledonian Craig

The chances of Hickey coming back into our team after 8 months without kicking a ball was always pie in the sky.Let's be honest even if he was anywhere near fit there is no way his first games after 8 months without kicking a ball in anger would be in the euros.It wouldn't even be fair to him to expect any sort of performance.Big miss but somebody else will have the chance to step up and put in a good performance.

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, MacGuff said:

Ralston and McRorie should be given a fair crack in the friendlies (not that they will teach us much), if they fail to inspire confidence then we should look to fill the RWB position with a midfielder - Armstrong standing out as the strongest candidate due to his experience, and Fraser as an outsider due to his past arseholery 

You would think Ralston as he's done OK before but he isn't getting a game for Celtic so probably McCrorie. Things could be worse. 

22 minutes ago, GilmourFan said:

Livramento will be England's back up right back after Euro 24.

Walker and Trippier will retire. Trent is used in midfield for England. That only leaves Reece James and Livramento.

The loss of Hickey is massive. Hopefully he'll be able to return, and use the friendlies to get a bit of sharpness back, but I doubt it.

If Hickey doesn't make it then Steve Clarke has to get creative. It's either Porteous, Ralston, Armstrong (as much as I hate to say it.), Christie, McCrorie or McLean.

I don't care if some of them are left footed. Needs must.

They have also have Ben White (who doesn’t seem to like Southgate to be fair), Rico Lewis (19) and Archie Gray (18) too. 

one of Gray or Livramento would be good!

1 hour ago, AlfieMoon said:

There’s still another month to go and two potential friendly matches. I wouldn’t count him out based on his club manager’s comments.

Exactly! Who the hell asked Thomas Frank the the question? Usual bullshit journalists looking for stories. 

Frank doesn't want him risked but if the player & the Scottish medical team think it's not too risky he will be in Germany .

This is the only grey area that I don’t know what Clarke is going to do for that RWB role. Does he show faith in one of Ralston/McCrorie/Johnston to step up or does he look to one of the present mainstay players in the squad to fill in for the time being in that role?

3 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

There’s still another month to go and two potential friendly matches. I wouldn’t count him out based on his club manager’s comments.

Would be one hell of a gamble to throw Hickey into the euros on the back of at the best 180 minutes of friendly football in 9 months.Don't see Clarke taking that particular gamble somehow.

7 hours ago, thesaint said:

Would be one hell of a gamble to throw Hickey into the euros on the back of at the best 180 minutes of friendly football in 9 months.Don't see Clarke taking that particular gamble somehow.

I'd rather take that gamble than use Ralston

Is Max Johnston an option? He's playing at a decent level, untested with Scotland but so was Gilmour when Clark threw him in. He also played Patterson out of necessity at RB despite him only featuring a handful of times for Rangers 

7 hours ago, thesaint said:

He needn't be expected to play the full 90 minutes of each match. Even if we get 45 mins out of him V Germany before being subbed for Ralston or whoever it would be an improvement on what we have. Thereafter he may be able to complete an hour V Switzerland and approaching the full match V Hungary. Give me that over the alternatives any day of the week.

10 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Is Max Johnston an option? He's playing at a decent level, untested with Scotland but so was Gilmour when Clark threw him in. He also played Patterson out of necessity at RB despite him only featuring a handful of times for Rangers 

He (Johnston) is playing mostly as a sub, 10 minutes here and there; he's managed around 700 minutes of top level football though which is okay. The same can be said of Ralston I suppose although he is nearer 1000 minutes. Ralston has the experience card to play, Johnston the higher ceiling. Ralston hasn't played since February, Johnston is playing a little every week. Tough call from those two, but probably Ralston given Clark values continuity and experience.

McCrorie I think will go as the starting rightback if Hickey doesn't make it as he is also a good utility player. Clark can have him on the bench and use him to cover right back, both centre backs and defensive mid. If Hickey does go (and I think he will even if not fit) then I think Clark will use the expanded squad to take three of the four; Hickey, McCrorie and Ralston.

18 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Me too. A 75% match fit Hickey should be better than Ralston. McCrorie for his athleticism is a better alternative I reckon but Clarke due to having Ralston in many recent squads will probably give him the chance. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

He needn't be expected to play the full 90 minutes of each match. Even if we get 45 mins out of him V Germany before being subbed for Ralston or whoever it would be an improvement on what we have. Thereafter he may be able to complete an hour V Switzerland and approaching the full match V Hungary. Give me that over the alternatives any day of the week.

Aye, but the 45 mins could be a car crash. 9 months out is a long time not to play football. Look how not playing regular (never mind not at all) has affected Patersons game and even Billy Gilmour when he wasn't getting picked for Brighton dropped a level. Just think to throw Hickey straight into the euros is such a risk and Clarke isn't exactly known for taking a gamble. Hickey is obviously a really good player but a Hickey who hasn't played in 9 months could be a different story altogether. 

I suspect we'll see Hickey called up for the friendlies and they'll make the call then on if they think he's fit enough to go to Germany. Frank has been fairly pessimistic about Hickey's chances for a while, even when Pressley was being positive about it.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Me too. A 75% match fit Hickey should be better than Ralston. McCrorie for his athleticism is a better alternative I reckon but Clarke due to having Ralston in many recent squads will probably give him the chance. 

Even if he's fit there is a  risk of the injury recurring if he comes back too soon so I can understand Brentford not playing him. If I were Clarke I probably wouldn't take him as he hasn't played a competitive match since October. He'll be way off it if he somehow miraculously plays.

The only real question is Ralston or McCrorie. It will be Ralston if he plays before the end of the season for Celtic.

Edited by BryanBlessed

The squads are so big, there is a case for taking Hickey for the experience given he will be a mainstay in years to come. Even if he made 3 subs appearances, it could make the difference.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, thesaint said:

Aye, but the 45 mins could be a car crash. 9 months out is a long time not to play football. Look how not playing regular (never mind not at all) has affected Patersons game and even Billy Gilmour when he wasn't getting picked for Brighton dropped a level. Just think to throw Hickey straight into the euros is such a risk and Clarke isn't exactly known for taking a gamble. Hickey is obviously a really good player but a Hickey who hasn't played in 9 months could be a different story altogether. 

Couldn’t agree more. Rushing him back when he will clearly not be match fit and the prospect of coming up against someone like Leroy Sane & Jamal Musiala is not going to be a pretty watch one bit as they will just run riot down our right hand side up against a player that has been on the sidelines with a bad injury for well over 6 months. Also for someone that hasn’t kicked a competitive ball in 9 months brings the risk of that injury reoccurring if you rush him back way too soon - that for me is the last thing I will want and I’m sure Clarke will think the same.

Edited by DesiScotsman

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Played about as many minutes as Ralston this season. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

So you rather throw the young lad after not playing since October and risk his entire career and livliehood? He'll end up as another KT if that's how we are gonna treat him. 

Let him recover properly so his injury heals up so he can be a stalwart for us for years to come and let someone like McCrorie who is also playing at a decent level take his place.

EDIT - I forgot you were TDK

I'm out

Edited by vanderark14

On 5/4/2024 at 9:00 PM, Dave78 said:

I'm surprised at that. I think he's our best centre back after Tierney 

OOFT. 

Massively overrated player and a bombscare. 

On 5/4/2024 at 4:06 PM, csinclair said:

He’s probably been our most consistent defender through the qualifying campaign. 
I hold my hands up that prior to his debut against Ukraine I didn’t think he had the temperament for international football but I’d say he’s been solid for us ever since.

Not for me, he couldn't and didn't handle Haaland and gave away a stupid penalty at the 2nd attempt, he was clearly out his depth v Spain away, I worry when he actually has to step up. He's a strange character, he looks half the time like he cannae be ersed.  

17 hours ago, GilmourFan said:

Livramento will be England's back up right back after Euro 24.

Walker and Trippier will retire. Trent is used in midfield for England. That only leaves Reece James and Livramento.

The loss of Hickey is massive. Hopefully he'll be able to return, and use the friendlies to get a bit of sharpness back, but I doubt it.

If Hickey doesn't make it then Steve Clarke has to get creative. It's either Porteous, Ralston, Armstrong (as much as I hate to say it.), Christie, McCrorie or McLean.

I don't care if some of them are left footed. Needs must.

Agreed, Livramento? the guy who's played for England U15s, U16s, U17s, U18s, U19s and U21s? clearly desperate to play for Scotland... 

3 hours ago, bdgsct said:

The squads are so big, there is a case for taking Hickey for the experience given he will be a mainstay in years to come. Even if he made 3 subs appearances, it could make the difference.

4 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Even if he's fit there is a  risk of the injury recurring if he comes back too soon so I can understand Brentford not playing him. If I were Clarke I probably wouldn't take him as he hasn't played a competitive match since October. He'll be way off it if he somehow miraculously plays.

The only real question is Ralston or McCrorie. It will be Ralston if he plays before the end of the season for Celtic.

Obviously his club won't want him there as they don't care about the players international career.  We should trust the player along with our medical experts decision . 

Crikey Ralston has been fit most if not all season & he still rarely gets minutes at SPL level so surely we should be more concerned with him potentially starting 3 huge games than playing a class player  for say 60 minutes a game . 

If Hickey gets minutes in the friendlies or looks fit & confident in training he must start.

6 hours ago, thesaint said:

It's a gamble whatever way you look at it 

If he isn't match he gets match fit by playing which is a gamble.

If you play a vastly inferior player who you could argue isn't match fit either as he rarely gets on the pitch with his club Celtic it's a gamble.   

You play McCrorie another inferior player who is untill now uncapped , a gamble.

Johnston a unproven at the top level  kid a huge gamble.

Someone has just posted if we play Hickey we are threatening his long term career , sorry that's just a nothing comment without any real facts behind it.  Clarke , the player & our medical team will make the decision based on medical facts & how he looks in training, if mentally & physically they think he is ready he will be in Germany .

The big thing is we don't know if he is in full training or not, he was in light training 4 weeks ago. IF he is then he'll have 3 more weeks of full training followed by a bounce game or 2 followed by minutes in 2 friendlies. That's a pretty standard phased comeback. He still will probably not be ready to start but with no negative reaction I'd expect him to feature at the euros

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, theabsentee said:

Obviously his club won't want him there as they don't care about the players international career.  We should trust the player along with our medical experts decision . 

Crikey Ralston has been fit most if not all season & he still rarely gets minutes at SPL level so surely we should be more concerned with him potentially starting 3 huge games than playing a class player  for say 60 minutes a game . 

If Hickey gets minutes in the friendlies or looks fit & confident in training he must start.

Ralston is second choice behind a 40 times capped international.
Don’t know who started the Ross McCrorie love in,,the Championship is a decent league but theres plenty players in it that are pish poor. 

Edited by ceudmilefailte