Injury Watch

Caledonian Craig

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Being reported as an achilles strain.

Yes Rodgers said it shouldn't be long term but he might not be back in time for the international break. Its not a bad thing for Scotland him getting a little break, maybe John McGinn could do with one also we just don't want any of our players getting a knock during last couple of weeks of season. 

McGregor's injury might mean we get what a few of us want, Christie tried out in a deeper role against the Dutch.   

1 hour ago, theabsentee said:

Yes Rodgers said it shouldn't be long term but he might not be back in time for the international break. Its not a bad thing for Scotland him getting a little break, maybe John McGinn could do with one also we just don't want any of our players getting a knock during last couple of weeks of season. 

McGregor's injury might mean we get what a few of us want, Christie tried out in a deeper role against the Dutch.   

Yes this report states likely to miss upcoming friendlies but at least it gives Clarke the chance to look at different midfield combinations:-

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/24159358.celtic-captain-set-undergo-injury-scan-miss-scotland-friendlies/

Ross Stewart is back in light training, his club not sure if he'll be back before the end of the season.

No chance of him making Germany realistically but it'd be good for him to get a handful of club games in before the end of the season as I do think he has the potential to be a Scotland squad regular. 

2 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Ross Stewart is back in light training, his club not sure if he'll be back before the end of the season.

No chance of him making Germany realistically but it'd be good for him to get a handful of club games in before the end of the season as I do think he has the potential to be a Scotland squad regular. 

I saw an interview with Russell Martin a while back saying even though he will likely be fit before the end of the season, there is no point getting him in for a few games, and they will probably just wait for pre season to bring him back fully fit for next season. I guess if they have an injury crisis that might change. 

1 hour ago, The Black Bra said:

Don’t know about anyone else, but I get the fear whenever I see new posts added to this thread…,

Interesting, my change in medication must be working,I always expect good news about a player recovering. 

1 hour ago, The Black Bra said:

Don’t know about anyone else, but I get the fear whenever I see new posts added to this thread…,

Totally agree, and getting more stressful as any recovery window is getting shorter. 

16 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Injuries will happen to players of every competing team at the upcoming Euros. Shit happens.

Aye but unfortunately we have seen recently there is a massive drop between our ideal first 11 and the rest.

With all players to pick from I genuinely believe no teams would really fancy playing us, with a couple of key positions missing, I fear we could be easy pickings

8 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Aye but unfortunately we have seen recently there is a massive drop between our ideal first 11 and the rest.

With all players to pick from I genuinely believe no teams would really fancy playing us, with a couple of key positions missing, I fear we could be easy pickings

I get that but again other countries will suffer similarly. At present the one worry is Aaron Hickey but he is tipped to return for the end of the season.

I wouldn’t wish injury on any player, but I wouldnae exactly be greetin in ma soup if Szoboszlai pick up a wee injury just before the euros. Nothing serious. 

30 minutes ago, Marky said:

I wouldn’t wish injury on any player, but I wouldnae exactly be greetin in ma soup if Szoboszlai pick up a wee injury just before the euros. Nothing serious. 

Isn't he just coming back from a wee spell out? 

10 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

100 % this.

23 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I get that but again other countries will suffer similarly. At present the one worry is Aaron Hickey but he is tipped to return for the end of the season.

Possibly in some cases, I won't pretend to know the dynamics of other team's squads, but I'm not sure if the impact on their tournament prospects would be so stark with injuries as ours.

Take the full back position where the most worry is currently, if any 2 of Robbo/Tierney/Hickey are out then your immediate fall back based on recent squads drops to Taylor/Ralston/McKenna/Cooper - you potentially even lose the ability to pay our preferred system.

The nailed on starters in those positions would give any team in the world something to think about, the replacements I fear are cannon fodder at competition level.

Clarke will be well aware of this uncertainty and thinking of contingencies, whether it's exploring eligibility of new players or adapting someone else. I trust him

56 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Perhaps still hope for Ryan Fraser being named in the next squad as the BBC website states that he is close to returning from injury.

What was the story with RF?  Did he request to be excluded or just been injured/out of form since 2022

1 hour ago, LoganRoy said:

What was the story with RF?  Did he request to be excluded or just been injured/out of form since 2022

Call him up and there was a 50/50 chance he wouldn’t turn up. My interpretation was that Clarke was making an example of him. Having said that he was in pretty poor form back then so it was an easy choice. 
interesting to see what happens next. 

24 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Call him up and there was a 50/50 chance he wouldn’t turn up. My interpretation was that Clarke was making an example of him. Having said that he was in pretty poor form back then so it was an easy choice. 
interesting to see what happens next. I

I really think the bad press he had been getting was ott & totally unproven. Journalists have an excuse as it's part of the job, we don't .

Unless you hear a quote from the player or his coach in question saying there's a issue with commitment or attitude you should just ignore such negative stories written  

Fraser apparently trained with Newcastle while there was a international break for me so what unless he was actually fit enough to play which I believe he wasn't.

He is also slated for the way his time at Bournemouth ended but the reality is he has had more than fair share of injuries iso you can understand why he perhaps under the influence of his agent didn't want to chance ruining a potential big move.

If he is fit enough & playing well he should be 100% in our squad even if I fear he may not have the pace he once had.

2 hours ago, theabsentee said:

I really think the bad press he had been getting was ott & totally unproven. Journalists have an excuse as it's part of the job, we don't .

Unless you hear a quote from the player or his coach in question saying there's a issue with commitment or attitude you should just ignore such negative stories written  

Fraser apparently trained with Newcastle while there was a international break for me so what unless he was actually fit enough to play which I believe he wasn't.

He is also slated for the way his time at Bournemouth ended but the reality is he has had more than fair share of injuries iso you can understand why he perhaps under the influence of his agent didn't want to chance ruining a potential big move.

If he is fit enough & playing well he should be 100% in our squad even if I fear he may not have the pace he once had.

100% agree 

If Ryan Fraser is fit & on form ( scoring goals + creating assists which he is ) 

Then imo he has to be considered, is Steve Clarke biting his nose off to spite his face if he doesn’t select him?? 

23 hours ago, broraboy said:

100% agree 

If Ryan Fraser is fit & on form ( scoring goals + creating assists which he is ) 

Then imo he has to be considered, is Steve Clarke biting his nose off to spite his face if he doesn’t select him?? 

really like Ryan Fraser and he links well with John Mcginn.  He plays off the main striker in a 5-3-1-1 whereas we are playing a 5-4-1 at the moment. Would be a good option.

12 hours ago, Malcolm said:

really like Ryan Fraser and he links well with John Mcginn.  He plays off the main striker in a 5-3-1-1 whereas we are playing a 5-4-1 at the moment. Would be a good option.

Yes I agree. Certainly in good enough form to force his way into the squad.

Just came across this Aaron.Hickey update on X:-

It is expected that Brentford and Scotland defender Aaron Hickey’s injury comeback date is the 11th of May.

If he is back on this date, providing there’s no more setbacks, he could be available for Brentford’s last two Premier League games of the season.

The final Euro 2024 squad announcement will be expected to be announced in early to mid May so he could be ready to take a place on the plane to Germany, providing that he is back and all cleared to go.