Drink Drive Limit To Be Lowered In Scotland - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Drink Drive Limit To Be Lowered In Scotland

Thats not true, the alcohol doesnt start leaving your body after your last drink.

Your body tries to purge the alcohol straight away.

It's the standard recommendation, it's not an exact science because it will vary from person to person but the rough guide is one hour for each unit you've consumed from teh time you stop drinking. And yes, another factor is the speed you drank them at.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to how folks attitudes are changing to driving the morning after, particularly older generation, I'm coming round to the idea that if it's making folk think about it, it's got to be a good thing.

Not convinced that folk in the 50-80mg range are a genuine problem, and think setting up to pull folk over going to work in the morning is pretty cynical and again, not really dealing with the problem, but hey ho....

The unknown factor is my only concern at present. Not being 100% sure that I'd be under the limit the following day. I had a few drinks last night and waited until around 3pm today before I drove, just to be sure.

I'll probably invest in a breathalyser soon, just to keep myself right.

Well worth it mate, buy a semi-decent one though. We have an "alco-sense" and its pretty accurste.

Can't see any problems with this. Pretty sure the nice guidelines show that people in that zone at more likely to have an accident than someone alcohol free.

Certainly I've driven in the past after a pint or so fairly safe that I was under the limit but definitely feeling that I was under the influence. There's no doubt that a small amount can still affect your driving ability, so taking away that temptation is probably a positive move.

Certainly I've driven in the past after a pint or so fairly safe that I was under the limit but definitely feeling that I was under the influence. There's no doubt that a small amount can still affect your driving ability, so taking away that temptation is probably a positive move.

Have done the same but stopped a few years back. Was at a party where guitar hero was on and I was utterly amazed how much 1 pint affected my reactions when playing the game.

Can't see any problems with this. Pretty sure the nice guidelines show that people in that zone at more likely to have an accident than someone alcohol free.

It's something like three times more likely to be involved in a fatal collision - as the chances of that are extremely remote in the first place it's still very, very unlikely. It's like telling me I'm three times more likely to win the lottery on Wednesday night - I wouldn't be getting too excited.

Sleep-deprived drivers are a much greater danger than someone driving with blood / alcohol between 50mg and 80mg. However, as you can't measure how tired someone is there's no money to be made or police statistics to 'improve'.

Sleep-deprived drivers are a much greater danger than someone driving with blood / alcohol between 50mg and 80mg. However, as you can't measure how tired someone is there's no money to be made or police statistics to 'improve'.

These days you can take a stab at it, eg. the chap who went down the embankment and caused the train crash...

It's something like three times more likely to be involved in a fatal collision - as the chances of that are extremely remote in the first place it's still very, very unlikely. It's like telling me I'm three times more likely to win the lottery on Wednesday night - I wouldn't be getting too excited.

Aye but winning the lottery is essentially pure luck, not being in a car accident isn't. Sure the chances might be remote statistically but the evidence shows that having a certain level of alcohol in your blood affects your driving so people shouldn't be driving like that.

I think most men will still be under the limit after one pint of proper beer (ie < 4%). Women could be a bit borderline though, so it's probably best if the wummin folk do the driving on nights out.

Share the driving. Only fair.

You drive there...............