Drink Drive Limit To Be Lowered In Scotland - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Drink Drive Limit To Be Lowered In Scotland

I found this quite interesting -

http://www.80mg.org.uk/ddfacts.html

"However, there is considerable evidence to suggest that, for drivers in the "morning after" category, the risks may be overstated, as the effect of alcohol on impairing driving performance tends to wear off more quickly than the actual level of alcohol in the bloodstream. This is a recognised medical phenomenon known as the "Mellanby effect". Therefore, even if a substantial change in behaviour was achieved, it is doubtful whether it would in practice have a significant impact on casualties."

Edited by Charlie Endell

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"However, there is considerable evidence to suggest that, for drivers in the "morning after" category, the risks may be overstated, as the effect of alcohol on impairing driving performance tends to wear off more quickly than the actual level of alcohol in the bloodstream. This is a recognised medical phenomenon known as the "Mellanby effect". Therefore, even if a substantial change in behaviour was achieved, it is doubtful whether it would in practice have a significant impact on casualties."

Aye you are "more drunker" when increasing the alcohol levels than you would be when it's reducing. I had no idea about that at all till i read it. It's affected by the rate of consumption as well. You'll appear more drunk at the same levels of BAC if you drank it faster.

It also says that "as a rough guide an eleven stone man drinking 2 units of alcohol quickly on an empty stomach will reach a peak level of 30 mg/100ml."

So fat gits could probably still just about get away with a couple of pints.

Not sure I would trust that source of information though.

It also says that "as a rough guide an eleven stone man drinking 2 units of alcohol quickly on an empty stomach will reach a peak level of 30 mg/100ml."

So fat gits could probably still just about get away with a couple of pints.

Not sure I would trust that source of information though.

I used to work with a seriously large bloke (20-stone-ish) and he had a heavy (pardon the pun) session at an office Christmas party - he was stopped and breathalyzed first thing the next morning and his breath / alcohol count barely registered.

Incidentally i've been breathalysed about 4 times in the last few years, i sometimes pick my mum up from work on sunday mornings, and it can be early like 3 or 4 am. Police bored pull you over try and think up a pretext for stopping you, the best one a WPC stood for 15 seconds "thinking" then said one of your wheel nuts looks weird, i complimented her for spotting that in the dark from behind the car and informed her it was an alloy wheel lock and it was meant to look "weird", however i;d be happy to consent to any sobriety check.

Here's another thing they found, the more likely you are to put shit like furry dice and "accessories" on your car the more likely you are to have road rage. Due to your ego covering your car (by personalize it and making identity claims with it) the less personalisation equals less claims by the ego and then therefore less likely to have emotional reactions to situations.

I bought the burd some Dortmund car dice from the club shop as a shite present, will that make her more road rage??

Edited by Kirk

I think there's also evidence that shows that when you combine low alcohol blood levels with tiredness, the effect amplifies. Considering that morning afters often involve reduced sleep and poor quality sleep, the effects can be different from a straight measure of the effect on the downslope.

Its simple. Don't have a drink.

I'd agree with that.

I'd normally have 1 bottle of beer, occasionally 2 over the course of an evening or before the football, knowing it's a few hours before I'm driving.

I probably won't bother now. So it will have a positive effect in that way.

The morning/afternoon after is where I really won't have a clue as I'm sure many others won't.

I genuinely don't know how much and how late you would have to drink for it to become an issue? 6 pints and in bed for 11pm? A shower and a cup of tea and I'd feel fine to go at 830am, but I may not be...

Again making folk think twice has to be a good thing, but catching folk the morning after shouldn't be the point, folk who drive home from the pub (or golf/bowling club) every weekend are more of an issue in my eyes.

I was surprised at how big the rise in risk were based on the stats posted earlier!

Edited by sbcmfc